Replacing headlights... how does it work?
Replacing headlights... how does it work?
I went out and bought the new lowbeam bulb, but the service manual says nothing. I also checked around online first to see if there was a topic on this, but couldn't find anything except for people saying they were selling head lights.
Thanks.
Thanks.
There are 2 types of headlights. The sealed beam headlight is a complete unit consisting of the lens and the filament and needs to be replaced as a unit. And then there's the euro H4 headlight that consists of the lens and the bulb as separate pieces. If you have the sealed beam version then you need to remove the front grill to replace it. If you have the H4 headlamp then all you need to do replace the bulb and that's easily doable from the engine compartment.
Well, I grabbed a headlight from NAPA today (went by what the mechanic said my car had), but I couldn't install it, or my side runner light, because it's been raining today. I really don't want to do light work when it's wet out. If it's dry tomorrow after one of my college Finals I'll try replacing them and see what happens. Hopefully this newb voyage will not end in pain. For you all, something like this is cake. For me? It's a worrisome process.
-
C.R. Krieger
- Posts: 14507
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
- Contact:
Relax. I don't know why Shawn's short today. I know this is almost second nature to him as it is for me. When you get done, you'll see why. Until then, a little expansion:Vrikk wrote:Hopefully this newb voyage will not end in pain. For you all, something like this is cake. For me? It's a worrisome process.
Open the hood, but don't worry about those covers behind the lights. They don't have to come off. You need the hood open to take out the grilles (sides only; leave the center in place).
There are three plastic screw/fasteners across the top of each grille half. Remove two and loosen the third one. At the bottom corners of each half are two more identical fasteners. Remove them and then the last top one. Look at them so you understand how they work. They DO NOT need to be tightened when reinstalling. Slightly snug is enough. Don't strip those heads. If I have a troublesome one, I put it into a top hole and use the best ones on the bottom corners. Be careful with those fasteners, too. They will fall out of the grille, so plan on it.
After this. remove the small screws holding the bright retainer ring around the light. These are often corroded, so be careful getting them loose. They will also fall out and get lost.
When the ring comes off, the lamp falls into your hand. Unplug it and plug in the new one. Put it all back together.
Remember that the grille fasteners go through the grille and into the square hole in the body. Put them in first (while holding the grille in place) and then insert the screw. Do a top center one first so it holds the rest in place. There is a bit of art to this, but you'll find your way.
Last edited by C.R. Krieger on Dec 17, 2008 12:42 AM, edited 1 time in total.
The Bentley manual seems to leave out a lot of information. I guess it likes to cut out all the little things, and not give enough pictures to help either.Vrikk wrote:I understand that, but since I've not removed my front grille before I was double checking that it's held on by clips, correct? The Bentley manual doesn't say much about how to remove it, and I checked in the section that is specifically about replacing a low beam headlamp.
I don't know maybe its just me.
-
C.R. Krieger
- Posts: 14507
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
- Contact:
Look, the both of you need to figure out that some jobs are best learned by just doing it. Look for the fasteners, take them out, drop stuff in the grass and lose it, cuss, and finally get to say,"Oh, NOW I get it!" This is one of those jobs. It ain't rocket surgery.MrNic3Guy wrote:The Bentley manual seems to leave out a lot of information. I guess it likes to cut out all the little things, and not give enough pictures to help either.Vrikk wrote:I understand that, but since I've not removed my front grille before I was double checking that it's held on by clips, correct? The Bentley manual doesn't say much about how to remove it, and I checked in the section that is specifically about replacing a low beam headlamp.
If I had to be spoonfed on how to remove grilles, I wouldn't be able to work on an E21.
If you want to talk about stuff being left out, consider entire systems that just aren't covered in a manual. In-tank fuel pump? What the hell is that? Not in my manual. I guess the one car Haynes tore down and rebuilt didn't have one.
You know what else the Bentley manual doesn't cover? How to remove the door handles. I couldn't do it because the manual said nothing about it. I saw two screws, but figured they couldn't possibly be it.
Also, the thing that C.R. left out about the process is that you won't find half of the fasteners you drop into the grass until you mow the lawn.
With the plastic grille fasteners, I never fully install them - I leave about 1/8 of an inch sticking out.
Good luck.
If you want to talk about stuff being left out, consider entire systems that just aren't covered in a manual. In-tank fuel pump? What the hell is that? Not in my manual. I guess the one car Haynes tore down and rebuilt didn't have one.
You know what else the Bentley manual doesn't cover? How to remove the door handles. I couldn't do it because the manual said nothing about it. I saw two screws, but figured they couldn't possibly be it.
Also, the thing that C.R. left out about the process is that you won't find half of the fasteners you drop into the grass until you mow the lawn.
With the plastic grille fasteners, I never fully install them - I leave about 1/8 of an inch sticking out.
Good luck.
No need. If you lube them with something they work fine and aren't hard to remove. If they give you a hard time coming out, spray something in the fastner; WD40 works to help get them out. Silicone spray, anything is better than nothing.wkohler wrote:With the plastic grille fasteners, I never fully install them - I leave about 1/8 of an inch sticking out.
Did we ever figure out if the OP had sealed-beams or replaceable-bulb units?
-
C.R. Krieger
- Posts: 14507
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
- Contact:
I was typing my answers on my Palm that doesn't have a tabbed browser, so I figured I'd leave that for later.BMWCCA2 wrote:Did we ever figure out if the OP had sealed-beams or replaceable-bulb units?wkohler wrote:With the plastic grille fasteners, I never fully install them - I leave about 1/8 of an inch sticking out.
Here are some pics:
This is a Hella H4 headlamp (actually, one of their sealed beam units, but it looks the same as a regular H4 conversion unit). If you see that kind of rubber seal (lower left), do not throw the lamp away! You simply have a burned out H4 bulb. The bulb is pictured separately. You can replace it with a sealed beam lamp temporarily or you can let us know and we'll show you how to replace the bulb if you can't figure it out on your own.

This is a standard disposable US-spec sealed beam. Notice that the bulb is part of the lamp. It is not removable or replaceable. If this is what you take out, feel free to throw it away. In fact, feel free to buy yourself a full set of Hella or Cibie H4/H1 conversion lamps and throw all four of your current ones away.

Finally, if your lamps are different sizes (the outboard low beams are larger in diameter than the inboard high beams), you have a European spec conversion in your car. It uses the standard H4 bulbs, shown above. In either case, if you have H4 headlamps, STOP RIGHT NOW and let us know. You do not want to mess around removing the lamp. You only need to change the bulb.
BTW, Chris; notice I said 'lose stuff'. I did not say 'find stuff'.
You guys are lifesavers. Once finals are done, and it's dry out, I'll definitely be following this. I didn't know that there were two different types, an entire lamp, and just the bulb. I'm guessing that nothing has been upgraded on my car since, well, nothing has been as far as I know : )
The original owner from what I remember was an older person who kept this thing in the garage a lot. I know the headlamps aren't as bright as modern cars, so they haven't been upgraded.
The item I bought yesterday is the entire H4 lamp. I'm hoping this is what I have.
The original owner from what I remember was an older person who kept this thing in the garage a lot. I know the headlamps aren't as bright as modern cars, so they haven't been upgraded.
The item I bought yesterday is the entire H4 lamp. I'm hoping this is what I have.
-
C.R. Krieger
- Posts: 14507
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
- Contact:
Mostly for obvious stuff.MrNic3Guy wrote:The Bentley manual seems to leave out a lot of information. I guess it likes to cut out all the little things, and not give enough pictures to help either.Vrikk wrote:I understand that, but since I've not removed my front grille before I was double checking that it's held on by clips, correct? The Bentley manual doesn't say much about how to remove it, and I checked in the section that is specifically about replacing a low beam headlamp.
I don't know maybe its just me.


