Might have to do a water pump

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Sniper X
Posts: 1332
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Central New Mexico

Might have to do a water pump

Post by Sniper X »

So is it a total bitch to do a water pump on a `985 535i?

I might either have a stuck thermo or need to do a water pump on one of my fives.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

If you dont shear off a bolt, the water pump on an M30 is pretty straight forward.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

It's really pretty simple. You need a big skinny wrench to get the fan off (it's reverse thread) but otherwise there's not much to it. I'd check the thermostat first - you're more likely to shear off a bolt there, so be careful when removing the bolts.
JoshInAtlanta
Posts: 4434
Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Location: Holly Springs, GA

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

a wrote:If you dont shear off a bolt, the water pump on an M30 is pretty straight forward.
Argh... the reason my car was off the road all summer.
msunkenberg
Posts: 145
Joined: Jul 27, 2008
Location: worcester MA

Post by msunkenberg »

i did this not too long ago and it was pretty easy.

my biggest problem was bleeding the cooling system because the bleeder opening had corroded over. I used something similar to a sewing machine needle (saxophone needle spring) to unclog it.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

stuartinmn wrote:It's really pretty simple. You need a big skinny wrench to get the fan off (it's reverse thread) but otherwise there's not much to it. I'd check the thermostat first - you're more likely to shear off a bolt there, so be careful when removing the bolts.
32mm- $25
Sniper X
Posts: 1332
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Central New Mexico

Post by Sniper X »

Shoot, any body have a water pump wrench I can borrow? I'd be glad to pay shipping....
Son of a
Posts: 2366
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: Housatonic, MA

Post by Son of a »

Sniper X wrote:Shoot, any body have a water pump wrench I can borrow? I'd be glad to pay shipping....
You need to have the ability to take the fan off. That means a 32mm wrench to do it right, or some other method that you can live with. (Big channel-locks are a less elegant solution.)

For about the cost of shipping the wrench, you can go out and buy one. It doesn't need to be super-quality, all you use it for is to get purchase on the fan nut and maybe generate a few ft.-lbs. of torque.

Craftsman 32 mm. is about $25 at Sears, so I imagine a made in China Wal-Mart version would be about $15.

Once you have the fan off, changing a water pump is no big deal. I seem to remember more than a few people, who were more than a little drunk, changing one on an M5 in Chattanooga in '07.
ChipinPA
Posts: 76
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Philly

A whole set for 25 from HF includes 32mm

Post by ChipinPA »

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... number=541


If you have one local - then u save shipping
Sniper X
Posts: 1332
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Central New Mexico

Post by Sniper X »

Shoot, if a regular 32mm wrench will work I can get one at HF for like 5 bucks! I thought it had to be real skiny or flat instead of a regular wrench.
ChipinPA
Posts: 76
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Philly

It will work - I used my HF 32mm to do the job on my car

Post by ChipinPA »

Not too bad of a job - and a good time to drain all of your coolant and get all fresh in there. Block drain is up in the exhaust manifold area - near to the #5 cyl.

Chris
Sixdown
Posts: 162
Joined: Jan 22, 2008
Location: Potomac, Maryland

Post by Sixdown »

Just a note.
All of the 32mm wrenched I could find in my local hardware stores were not thin enough to fit the fan nut. I had to improvise with thinner channel locks. This was on my late model B35.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

Sixdown wrote:Just a note.
All of the 32mm wrenched I could find in my local hardware stores were not thin enough to fit the fan nut. I had to improvise with thinner channel locks. This was on my late model B35.
The thicker ones are a bitch, but they work.
Sniper X
Posts: 1332
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Central New Mexico

Post by Sniper X »

stikrz wrote:
Sixdown wrote:Just a note.
All of the 32mm wrenched I could find in my local hardware stores were not thin enough to fit the fan nut. I had to improvise with thinner channel locks. This was on my late model B35.
The thicker ones are a bitch, but they work.
Shoot, Ill buy a cheapo and grind it on both sides..that'll make is easier huh?
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

If you have a bike shop handy, go there and look at their Park Tools selection. I think mine is a HCW-6 headset wrench, it's nice and skinny and was pretty cheap. http://www.parktool.com/
baldwin8
Posts: 32
Joined: Oct 20, 2007
Location: Montreal, Quebec

Post by baldwin8 »

BTW a 1-1/4" wrench will do just fine if you don't have a 32mm, worked for me.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

The water pump pliers work fine, too. That's all I had at 5er Fest.
ismellfish2
Posts: 1129
Joined: Mar 25, 2006
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Post by ismellfish2 »

You can buy a whole set of cheap bike wrenches from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool, and they come in handy from time to time.
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

I seem to be the only one, but my 10" crescent will get in there and do the job. IMHO it just can't be real fat, it doesn't have to be skinny. A nice whack with a hammer helps loosen it up better than just a hard straight pull.
Sniper X
Posts: 1332
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Central New Mexico

Post by Sniper X »

Thanks for all the replys I'll troubleshoot it this weekend. How much higher then the rear end do I need the front to be able to correctly bleed the system?
Brad D.
Posts: 10735
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Post by Brad D. »

Sniper X wrote:Thanks for all the replys I'll troubleshoot it this weekend. How much higher then the rear end do I need the front to be able to correctly bleed the system?
I have never had a problem bleeding mine with it just sitting on my very slightly inclined driveway.
Post Reply