Rust Proof My BMW

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
dermauser
Posts: 54
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
Location: Newton Falls, Ohio

Rust Proof My BMW

Post by dermauser »

Hi, I'm new to the forums, I was wondering what is the good way to rust proof my bmw. I looked at undercoating and many forums said it doesn't help that much and makes big mess. I live in Ohio, and I am will to drive within Ohio or PA.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
Badger
Posts: 629
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Whately, MA

Post by Badger »

If there is rust then blast/grind down to metal and por-15 (epoxy) it, then if you want sound deadener or undercoating use secondskin spectrum

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-de ... ectrum.php

It has many additives for antirust and is suppose to bond very well so it won't fall off. I am in the process of cleaning the whole bottom of my car then sanding it then applying a layer or two of it. My car is in pieces so why not.
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Slight correction. Por 15 is not an epoxy, it is an urethane based compound
alotawatts
Posts: 836
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: WA

Post by alotawatts »

Badger wrote: secondskin spectrum

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/sound-de ... ectrum.php

It has many additives for antirust and is suppose to bond very well so it won't fall off. I am in the process of cleaning the whole bottom of my car then sanding it then applying a layer or two of it. My car is in pieces so why not.
The Firewall goop looks like what I need. Do you know if it will hold a paint over coat ?
dermauser
Posts: 54
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
Location: Newton Falls, Ohio

Post by dermauser »

it looks good, but i would like more suggestions as this is made as a sound deadener, but since it goes over the metal there shouldnt be any way for the undercarriage to rust.

Any suggestions?

Anyone rust proof their car?
Badger
Posts: 629
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Whately, MA

Post by Badger »

yes you can paint it and yes you can use it as undercoat

if you have specific questions call the company they are very helpful on the phone, i believe the guys name is ant
dermauser
Posts: 54
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
Location: Newton Falls, Ohio

Post by dermauser »

sounds good, ill definetly call them tommorow, thx for your time. If anyone has anything else they would like to suggest you will be really helping me. I have looked this up already and only seen a rubberized undercoating and now spectrum. I wont be doing the antirusting till summer as my car is being stored for winter. So i will be comparing different ways to antirust.

thanks in advance,
Frank
dermauser
Posts: 54
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
Location: Newton Falls, Ohio

Post by dermauser »

Update. After viewing several solutions, I have come up with the best solution to anti-rust & de-rust your car for many years to come. It is a bit of work, but I believe it would be worth saving your cars body(especially since BMW engines will outlast the body twice-fold ;) )

1. Scrap and sand all of the rust on the bottom, and anywhere else you want to de-rust & anti-rust. It doesn't have to be completely bare but get most of the rust off. ((I'd recommend to do this before you get a new paint job if you have rust on besides under the car))

2. Buy some POR-15, it is a rust converter and anti-rust. Its like paint but will protect any further rusting. Read up on it at http://www.por15.com/

3. Get a rubberized Undercoating over-top the POR-15 so no moisture can get past the rubber, and if it does the POR15 will stop it. The rubberized undercoating will also protect the por-15 from getting chipped,nicked,scratched off by any rocks or anything.

4. I think you should check the rubber undercoating every year and replace what is gone do avoid having to re-apply the por-15. Only because por15 is pretty expensive.

NOTE: Don't get the rubberized undercoating if you are por-15 the part of the car that gets painted.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, the spectrum guy told me about por-15, and por-15 recommended getting a rubberized undercoat to protect it.

-Frank
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

dermauser wrote:2. Buy some POR-15, it is a rust converter and anti-rust. Its like paint but will protect any further rusting. Read up on it at http://www.por15.com/
It is not a rust converter and it is not "like" paint -- it IS paint. It's moisture-cured urethane, which we recently discussed here.
Post Reply