88 535is fuel & temp gauge and windows don't work

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
FB535M635
Posts: 16
Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

88 535is fuel & temp gauge and windows don't work

Post by FB535M635 »

My fuel and temp gauge had been working intermittenly until yesterday when they stopped altogether. I'd start the car and no fuel and temp then when I started moving they'd come on and the test light blinks until I hit the brakes, then all was well. Yesterday they never came on at all in 3 seperate trips. Also when they don't work the windows don't work either. No fuses blown. Is there 1 relay that controls all these items? Any ideas? Thanks
Bimmerguy2002
Posts: 11973
Joined: Oct 03, 2007
Location: Lodi, California

Post by Bimmerguy2002 »

Even though a fuse might look good, it dont mean that its getting current flowing across it, you can check with a volt meter if you are getting current flow, and also check the contact, you may have to bend the fuse holder or file it down for a better contact.
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 9142
Joined: Apr 13, 2006
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Contact:

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

I don't recall offhand which fuses control these, but I'd definitely check all grounds under the hood ie; motor>chassis ground straps, alternator accessory lead, & battery accessory leads.

Aside from that check here http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm.
for an ETM to assist you on this.
FB535M635
Posts: 16
Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

fixed

Post by FB535M635 »

crappy 8a fuse, wasn't visibly blown but doesn't work either. Issue resolved, I should probably not assume the worst every time I have an issue. Thanks
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 9142
Joined: Apr 13, 2006
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Contact:

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

Good 2 hear you got it figured out.
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: fixed

Post by RonW »

FB535M635 wrote:crappy 8a fuse, wasn't visibly blown but doesn't work either. Issue resolved, I should probably not assume the worst every time I have an issue. Thanks
Well, now you know about those fuses.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Re: fixed

Post by 1st 5er »

FB535M635 wrote:crappy 8a fuse, wasn't visibly blown but doesn't work either. Issue resolved, I should probably not assume the worst every time I have an issue. Thanks
Gotta love it! :banana: MyE28.com that is.
Post Reply