rear power window issues

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
seprowling
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Cookeville, TN, USA area

rear power window issues

Post by seprowling »

any reason that both back power windows fail to work other than bad motors? Both rear windows not working on my new project car, an 85 528e. don,t work from back seat or front switches. could it be a fuse or some kinda relay? could all 4 switches be bad? I know I need a bentley but I have not yet purchased one. Any ideas where to look would be appreciated. Thanks Yes I did a search no results came back. :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

replace with known good switches.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

The simple test is to swap in one of the front switches to see if the window works, and if that does it fix or replace the switch. You can carefully pry them apart and clean up the contacts inside (watch for springs and other little bits that can fly out.) I use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts, it removes grime and corrosion without damaging them.
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

Did you play with the circuit breaker switch mounted between the two driver's side window switches?
duggi
Posts: 2427
Joined: Apr 26, 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Post by duggi »

pldlnr wrote:Did you play with the circuit breaker switch mounted between the two driver's side window switches?
+1 sounds like this is the first place you should look. I know my car had a faulty one that only let the back windows work intermittently. Replaced it and all was fine. Except that the back windows in my car are unbelievably slow, but that's another issue.
andy535iyes
Posts: 336
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fort Fun Colorado

Post by andy535iyes »

I recently had my passenger window working intermittently and the passenger rear window stopped working all together. I took the switches out and sprayed electrical connection cleaner carefully inside. All windows work fine now and possibly faster - but that could be my imagination.

good luck,
Andy
seprowling
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Cookeville, TN, USA area

Post by seprowling »

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I have a known good switch from my 318is that I know was good when I replaced both of them in my 318is. I tried messing with the circuit breaker? on the console. I installed the good switch and nothing happened on the back left door and in the console. I did not get a chance to try it on the passenger side yet, I am stumped.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

The switch on the console to disable the rear windows is NOT the system circuit breaker. The system circuit breaker is on the under-dash cover on the driver's side.
seprowling
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Cookeville, TN, USA area

Post by seprowling »

Thanks, I will check that out and let you know if that did anything.
pldlnr
Posts: 2221
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by pldlnr »

The switch on the console to disable the rear windows is NOT the system circuit breaker
My mistake. I thought the console switch "broke" the circuit to the back windows. What would be the proper way to describe its function?
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

pldlnr wrote:
The switch on the console to disable the rear windows is NOT the system circuit breaker
My mistake. I thought the console switch "broke" the circuit to the back windows. What would be the proper way to describe its function?
Yes, circuit breakers open the circuit, BUT the key difference is that circuit breakers perform as resettable fuses. Switches do not perform as resettable fuses, and the console switch is just as you said above -- a switch. You wouldn't go around calling every switch a circuit breaker simply because it opens a circuit, would you?
seprowling
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Cookeville, TN, USA area

Thanks for the responses Guys

Post by seprowling »

The dash reset button was part of the problem but the switches are bad also, they work if you keep tapping on them, so I guess thats the source of the problem. Another question comes to mind though. This may seem stup and keep in mind I have no books for information. Does this switch only reset rear windows? the front ones are fine. Thanks!
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Re: Thanks for the responses Guys

Post by a »

seprowling wrote:The dash reset button was part of the problem but the switches are bad also, they work if you keep tapping on them, so I guess thats the source of the problem. Another question comes to mind though. This may seem stup and keep in mind I have no books for information. Does this switch only reset rear windows? the front ones are fine. Thanks!
Yes, it is a child safety feature. The switches go bad. I recently spent some time making a good one out of 2 bad'uns.
seprowling
Posts: 47
Joined: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Cookeville, TN, USA area

Thanks for the help

Post by seprowling »

:alright: I will order some new ones from BAV as soon as I can. I will replace all 4 of the back ones and hopefully completely solve problem. If dash switch is bad I will find one of those also. Thanks again. I am sure that I will have more question as I am not driving the car yet.
Speaking of questions any idea why factory BMW stereo will not hold code? I have 2 enter it everytime.
Post Reply