How Do I Hook Up Speed Sensitive Stereo Volume? ANSWERED

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
derrith
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

How Do I Hook Up Speed Sensitive Stereo Volume? ANSWERED

Post by derrith »

I have a 99 m3 deck installed in my e28. It has speed-sensitive volume control that I would like to wire in. I have a reverse harness wired in and I would like to know which wire I should grab from behind the cluster. I know that the "Tempo" and "Masse" wires behind the cluster have to do with the speed signal and I also know that there is a spare blue wire that goes unused. Has anybody tried to get this feature working in their e28 and if so how did you do it? Thanks.
Last edited by derrith on Apr 18, 2008 2:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Havent tried it, but wire taps make things easy...

Put a couple on with some bullet connectors and go driving, see if it works.

On a personal note, when I had my 2000 Rover a couple of years ago, it had the Speed Sensitive Volume Control and it was irritating as hell. That vehicle was insulated enough that it was not necessary. In the e28 maybe it would be nice, but I like to control my own stuff...

Jay3
derrith
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post by derrith »

ElGuappo wrote:Havent tried it, but wire taps make things easy...

Put a couple on with some bullet connectors and go driving, see if it works.

On a personal note, when I had my 2000 Rover a couple of years ago, it had the Speed Sensitive Volume Control and it was irritating as hell. That vehicle was insulated enough that it was not necessary. In the e28 maybe it would be nice, but I like to control my own stuff...

Jay3
I figure it's there, I want to make it work. I had this deck with the feature working in my e34 but the wiring was already there. The amount that it compensates is adjustable from the deck so you can prevent it from going too loud.

I'll try to look at an e36 ETK and see if I can figure it out from there, I was hoping for an easy answer from somebody who'd already done it. I'll figure it out and report back.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

I am willing to go out on a limb and say nobody here has done what you are talking about doing....so you will be the guinea pig...er, pioneer!

Jay3
derrith
Posts: 2980
Joined: Sep 18, 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post by derrith »

Figured out the solution. In the small blue sensor that connects to the speedometer/odometer in my 85 cluster, you want to splice a wire to the "tempo" wire. In my car it's blue with a yellow stripe. If you hook this up the speed sensitive bit of your harness or whatever your connection is, it'll give your head unit the information it needs.
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

Let us know how you like it. I have ASC on my Alpine that 'listens' to the cabin volume and adjusts the stereo to compensate for that volume. Has three setting for speed and of course, off. I like it.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

Logan,
Thats cool you were able to get that wired in. How is it working?
I just wonder if the scale that it works on will work with the e28 speed scale...

Jay3
Post Reply