Troubleshooting: WS washer
-
Terry Mustoe
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Jul 08, 2006
- Location: Wet and wild Washington state
Troubleshooting: WS washer
Pump seems fine, connection fine, but when I need fluid, only a trickle is delivered while I hear the pump working...
-
spinedocab
- Posts: 2600
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Upper Bucks County, PA
Either the "check-valve" tee on the underside of the hood is stuck shut, or the hose is being crushed by the hood strut on the right side inner fender when you put the hood down.
Try squirting with the hood up and see if it is better. If no change then remove the tee with the check valve and replace it with a plain old vacuum tee of the right size from the local auto parts store. Unless you NEED to have a anti-drain-back valve in there. But the difference in response time is probably measured in milliseconds.
HTH,
Andrew.
Try squirting with the hood up and see if it is better. If no change then remove the tee with the check valve and replace it with a plain old vacuum tee of the right size from the local auto parts store. Unless you NEED to have a anti-drain-back valve in there. But the difference in response time is probably measured in milliseconds.
HTH,
Andrew.
-
Terry Mustoe
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Jul 08, 2006
- Location: Wet and wild Washington state
tee
Thanks for the response, spinedocab, the hose clearance is good and unit merely trickles with hood open, so I will try changing the tee tomorrow.
Terry
Terry
I find, usually, that the nozzles are clogged. Take a length of S/S wire (hardware store, thinner than a needle) and roto-rooter the nozzles. I suspect they will work. I've only had to replace the tee once, years ago.
Next, avoid, at all costs, commercial methanol based washer fluid. It's mixed with hard water, full of crud and minerals, and it will clog your nozzles. See that white stuff?
I use a concentrate I buy from 1Z (Einszett), distilled water and in the winter time 90% IP alcohol added as an antifreeze. You can also buy an alcohol-based washer antifreeze from 1Z, but it's expensive. Since doing this, my nozzles never freeze, gum up, or stop working. They do, however, continue to need slight re-adjusting every month or so.
Next, avoid, at all costs, commercial methanol based washer fluid. It's mixed with hard water, full of crud and minerals, and it will clog your nozzles. See that white stuff?
I use a concentrate I buy from 1Z (Einszett), distilled water and in the winter time 90% IP alcohol added as an antifreeze. You can also buy an alcohol-based washer antifreeze from 1Z, but it's expensive. Since doing this, my nozzles never freeze, gum up, or stop working. They do, however, continue to need slight re-adjusting every month or so.
-
Terry Mustoe
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Jul 08, 2006
- Location: Wet and wild Washington state
WSwasher
Extinguished the WS fluid telltale when I discovered mechanic hooked wrong wire to pump...I plugged correct one (with rubber grommet) and THAT took car of the idiot light...now to address that trickle of WS fluid...
Actually, both incidents occurred when I parked the car in repair shop for about seven weeks.
Actually, both incidents occurred when I parked the car in repair shop for about seven weeks.
I use a small paperclip bent into shape. I run it in each nozzle, several times, then try the switch. It usually works. I also always do this with the hood closed. Shawn D. uses a piece of acetylene torch cleaning rod which fits nicely in the nozzles.
For washer fluid, I use a P21S concentrate mixed with distilled water. Works indubitably well.
For washer fluid, I use a P21S concentrate mixed with distilled water. Works indubitably well.

