i want your thoughts on this,
-
SD45T-2
i want your thoughts on this,
i love my 533i but i want some more power. I already have a S3.73 but i want HP someone has offered me a S38 for $1500
that has 225 hp, has some low compression. 160 at the 4 & 5
if i do a valve adjust i should be back at the stock 250 right?
or do i buy a B35 motor for $600 and leave it with the 211 HP,and save the $900?
i think for a 40-50 Hp gain $900 is worth it
thanks
that has 225 hp, has some low compression. 160 at the 4 & 5
if i do a valve adjust i should be back at the stock 250 right?
or do i buy a B35 motor for $600 and leave it with the 211 HP,and save the $900?
i think for a 40-50 Hp gain $900 is worth it
thanks
-
C.R. Krieger
- Posts: 14507
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
- Contact:
If 1500 is your mod budget, focus on improving what you have. There is a pucker factor involved with an S38 you may not be familiar with, and starting off with a $1500 motor will be a tough initiation.
As one wise man described valve adjustments on the M30 compared to S38, "If I f**k up an adjustment on an M30 that's a $600 mistake. But if an S38 drops a valve, I'm looking at $4000 minimum to replace an S38 if I can find a decent one." If you wanted to buy what Tim the Enchanter has for sale that would be a wise call if you must have an S38.
Brett
As one wise man described valve adjustments on the M30 compared to S38, "If I f**k up an adjustment on an M30 that's a $600 mistake. But if an S38 drops a valve, I'm looking at $4000 minimum to replace an S38 if I can find a decent one." If you wanted to buy what Tim the Enchanter has for sale that would be a wise call if you must have an S38.
Brett
-
SD45T-2
-
SD45T-2
-
rlomba8204
- Posts: 4869
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Washington, DC
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind, irrespective of the sound advice that has been offered to you.
Personally, unless you are familiar with an S38, I would not try to learn on one experientially. Low compression can be caused by a number of things. Usually it is not as simple as a valve adjustment. I am not trying to be a jerk, but that comment alone troubles me in terms of your knowledge baseline with these things. Moreover, how a motor sounds is hardly determinative of its internal condition. I can't imagine a relatively cheap S38 would be anything other than a rebuild candidate.
But go ahead and do it . . . . .
As Brett indicated, for this amount of money, there are upgrades you can do to a B32 that don't require a Dinan chip. And I have no idea why the ability to add a Dinan chip would be the end-all and be-all consideration Anyway.
Finally, what kind of shape is the car in otherwise? It always amazes me that people start upgrade projects, and start dumping money into cars that are otherwise in poor condition. You might get more enjoyment from your car by first making sure you are getting all of its full stock potential, not just in terms of the motor, but suspension, etc.
"Icebergs? What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
Personally, unless you are familiar with an S38, I would not try to learn on one experientially. Low compression can be caused by a number of things. Usually it is not as simple as a valve adjustment. I am not trying to be a jerk, but that comment alone troubles me in terms of your knowledge baseline with these things. Moreover, how a motor sounds is hardly determinative of its internal condition. I can't imagine a relatively cheap S38 would be anything other than a rebuild candidate.
But go ahead and do it . . . . .
As Brett indicated, for this amount of money, there are upgrades you can do to a B32 that don't require a Dinan chip. And I have no idea why the ability to add a Dinan chip would be the end-all and be-all consideration Anyway.
Finally, what kind of shape is the car in otherwise? It always amazes me that people start upgrade projects, and start dumping money into cars that are otherwise in poor condition. You might get more enjoyment from your car by first making sure you are getting all of its full stock potential, not just in terms of the motor, but suspension, etc.
"Icebergs? What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
-
SD45T-2
No its a excellent point, this is excalty what i was looking for, The car ran good, the reason for swap the owner told me is for a lower mileage example,rlomba8204 wrote:Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind, irrespective of the sound advice that has been offered to you.
Personally, unless you are familiar with an S38, I would not try to learn on one experientially. Low compression can be caused by a number of things. Usually it is not as simple as a valve adjustment. I am not trying to be a jerk, but that comment alone troubles me in terms of your knowledge baseline with these things. Moreover, how a motor sounds is hardly determinative of its internal condition. I can't imagine a relatively cheap S38 would be anything other than a rebuild candidate.
But go ahead and do it . . . . .
As Brett indicated, for this amount of money, there are upgrades you can do to a B32 that don't require a Dinan chip. And I have no idea why the ability to add a Dinan chip would be the end-all and be-all consideration Anyway.
Finally, what kind of shape is the car in otherwise? It always amazes me that people start upgrade projects, and start dumping money into cars that are otherwise in poor condition. You might get more enjoyment from your car by first making sure you are getting all of its full stock potential, not just in terms of the motor, but suspension, etc.
"Icebergs? What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
so as it looks for $1500 i can get more power out my stock motor now.
I can always drop the motor in,and have a shop do a Inspection on it to also?
thats great info thank u
-
Kenny Blankenship
- Posts: 4942
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: NNV
Yeah, but Mark D'Sylva is working on one. He might even have it done. No idea.Vatoloco wrote:But dinan dont make anything for a 533i,unless i swaped in the b35, motor then chiped it.P-Easy wrote:Have you thought about chipping your car? I have a Dinan chip for mine (not installed yet) that claims 215 Hp from 185hp---and 235ft-lbs from 215ft-lbs.
-
Mark 88/M5 Houston
- Posts: 8548
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Far North Houston
-
SD45T-2
i never said $1500 was my total amount to spend thats how much its gonna cost to get it started.Mark 88/M5 Houston wrote:Good thinking - take a running 533i, remove the engine and install a questionable S38 to go a little bit faster on a limited budget. -- NOT!
the motor for $1500 does not include the intake thats a additional $200 i have to spend.
By intake I assume you mean the throttle setup? $200 for that? From who?Vatoloco wrote:i never said $1500 was my total amount to spend thats how much its gonna cost to get it started.Mark 88/M5 Houston wrote:Good thinking - take a running 533i, remove the engine and install a questionable S38 to go a little bit faster on a limited budget. -- NOT!
the motor for $1500 does not include the intake thats a additional $200 i have to spend.
Sounds like your long block budget alone should be at least $7,500 right now.
s38
Naysayers all -- heck, everyone on the board will have a b35 upgrade soon. I really like the way you think! Do the s38. Forty to fifty HP for $900 is a good deal & the added maintenance burden should be quickly forgotten by just lifting the hood and admiring that cool engine.
Time to be harsh...
Here's an option: Sell your somewhat desireable '83 533i. Get a 528e or something with a broken timing belt, buy your S38 and put it in that.
You have a running car now - a car I think is quick. Don't f**k it up.
It's not worth the time and effort to put a not-so-great S38 in the car and deal with the expenses that come from that.
Here's an option: Sell your somewhat desireable '83 533i. Get a 528e or something with a broken timing belt, buy your S38 and put it in that.
You have a running car now - a car I think is quick. Don't f**k it up.
It's not worth the time and effort to put a not-so-great S38 in the car and deal with the expenses that come from that.
-
Patrick McHugh
- Posts: 4163
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Richmond, VA
-
SD45T-2
When i asked about to build a S38 the first time, people told me $15k I find a seller who has a motor out of a wreck car,and its automaticly worthless,beacuse it has some low compression?
at 225 hp now, that motor is faster than most everyones m30 here.
a nother member sold his s38 on here for $1200 on ebay so thats a POS too?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34- ... enameZWD1V
thats the part i need,but for a E28 thats $300.00
wtf?
$1500 for the motor
$200-$300 intake
$400 wire harness
$200 ecu
$1500 inspection for valves
$4100 total that seems quite fair,when a complete m5 is $7500.00
at 225 hp now, that motor is faster than most everyones m30 here.
a nother member sold his s38 on here for $1200 on ebay so thats a POS too?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E34- ... enameZWD1V
thats the part i need,but for a E28 thats $300.00
wtf?
$1500 for the motor
$200-$300 intake
$400 wire harness
$200 ecu
$1500 inspection for valves
$4100 total that seems quite fair,when a complete m5 is $7500.00
-
Ray in Phoenix
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
As someone who has undertaken questionable projects in the past I won’t comment on the wisdom of the one you’re thinking about.
I do agree with Wiseguy and others about your budget. I think the costs will be considerably higher then you’re estimating.
If Wiseguy is correct and you mean throttle bodies when you refer to “intake”, your estimate is low. If you just need the plenum then you’re in the ballpark.
I sold this set of untested throttle bodies with no injectors on Ebay for ~$500.00 and I thought they went cheap.

BTW, I have a extra plenum I'll let go for $200

I do agree with Wiseguy and others about your budget. I think the costs will be considerably higher then you’re estimating.
If Wiseguy is correct and you mean throttle bodies when you refer to “intake”, your estimate is low. If you just need the plenum then you’re in the ballpark.
I sold this set of untested throttle bodies with no injectors on Ebay for ~$500.00 and I thought they went cheap.

BTW, I have a extra plenum I'll let go for $200

-
SD45T-2
any one, can build a 350 i could do it drunk,and im not the greatest tech. i just need the intake.Charles Gray wrote:As someone who has undertaken questionable projects in the past I won’t comment on the wisdom of the one you’re thinking about.
I do agree with Wiseguy and others about your budget. I think the costs will be considerably higher then you’re estimating.
If Wiseguy is correct and you mean throttle bodies when you refer to “intake”, your estimate is low. If you just need the plenum then you’re in the ballpark.
I sold this set of untested throttle bodies with no injectors on Ebay for ~$500.00 and I thought they went cheap.
BTW, I have a extra plenum I'll let go for $200![]()
so even if i spend $5k wtf does it matter? all i was saying is would the power be worth the cash.
Last edited by SD45T-2 on Oct 10, 2007 8:03 PM, edited 1 time in total.
-
Ray in Phoenix
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
-
Bryan in SB
- Posts: 2002
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Don't let low prices fool you, and remember the rule.
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I would budget the very real possibility you will have to completely rebuild the motor. That's also a worst case scenario, which means, if it's the case the rebuild cost won't startle you.
I would also strongly consider what has already been mentioned; buy Tim the Enchanters WHOLE SETUP. You'll have better piece of mind, and in all likelihood, a better product.
Other than buying an M motor from a trusted source, yank out the 533i and put in a TCD turbo'd B35.
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I would budget the very real possibility you will have to completely rebuild the motor. That's also a worst case scenario, which means, if it's the case the rebuild cost won't startle you.
I would also strongly consider what has already been mentioned; buy Tim the Enchanters WHOLE SETUP. You'll have better piece of mind, and in all likelihood, a better product.
Other than buying an M motor from a trusted source, yank out the 533i and put in a TCD turbo'd B35.
-
SD45T-2
I asked for peoples thoughts so if i say wtf im not generaly mad im just likeBryan in SB wrote:Don't let low prices fool you, and remember the rule.
"If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I would budget the very real possibility you will have to completely rebuild the motor. That's also a worst case scenario, which means, if it's the case the rebuild cost won't startle you.
I would also strongly consider what has already been mentioned; buy Tim the Enchanters WHOLE SETUP. You'll have better piece of mind, and in all likelihood, a better product.
Other than buying an M motor from a trusted source, yank out the 533i and put in a TCD turbo'd B35.
-
Patrick McHugh
- Posts: 4163
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Richmond, VA
-
Kyle in NO
- Posts: 17638
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
An S38 with low compression is called a "Core Motor"....dropping an ill-running S38 in a car is a bad idea. IF you really want it, buy the engine and have it gone through. Sure you will spend some money, but it will be much better in the long run. BTW, a sick S38 is not gonna be faster than most peoples' M30s for very long. Its gonna blow up at some point....
-
spinedocab
- Posts: 2600
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Upper Bucks County, PA
Dude...you are not hearing the reality. Tim is offering a COMPLETE setup. Not just a motor. Plus it's been maintained and improved. It's as close to a drop in as you'll find. AND IT'S IN PROPER OPERATING CONDITION.
quote:
Engine
Getrag Trans with clutch
Driveshaft
Harness
Motronic
Alternator
AC Compressor
$3500 or best offer..
You need all that other stuff anyway, to make it work. Why not buy the whole stinking setup in one swell foop.
over and out. Back to earth I go.
Andrew.
quote:
Engine
Getrag Trans with clutch
Driveshaft
Harness
Motronic
Alternator
AC Compressor
$3500 or best offer..
You need all that other stuff anyway, to make it work. Why not buy the whole stinking setup in one swell foop.
over and out. Back to earth I go.
Andrew.
-
SD45T-2
i said, i dont have enought for the complete motor. when do people read before typing?spinedocab wrote:Dude...you are not hearing the reality. Tim is offering a COMPLETE setup. Not just a motor. Plus it's been maintained and improved. It's as close to a drop in as you'll find. AND IT'S IN PROPER OPERATING CONDITION.
quote:
Engine
Getrag Trans with clutch
Driveshaft
Harness
Motronic
Alternator
AC Compressor
$3500 or best offer..
You need all that other stuff anyway, to make it work. Why not buy the whole stinking setup in one swell foop.
over and out. Back to earth I go.
Andrew.
Yes kyle I am planing on doing a complete going threw.
Let me clarify here.
1) Valves being out of adjustment won't drop the compression 20%, a leaky head gasket or other expensive problems will.
2) S38s are not cheap. Properly maintained they can run for a very long time, but a bad one is EXPENSIVE to fix.
Tim has a NICE one for sale for, IMO, VERY cheap money. If you want to do this swap, buy Tim's engine.. I knew the car it came out of, it was a well known M5 that was known to run VERY well with a VERY strong motor.
See, if this engine you buy has problems, they will only get worse, a valve adjustment won't fix them. And a Valve adjustment isn't $1,500.. I usually charge around $300 to do it including shims and a new gasket.
I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to save you from spending too much on an engine that could suck up big money when Tim has a super nice engine for sale for short cash. Wanna do the swap? Great! Buy Tim's Engine. I also know Tim personally and will vouch for him. I also know that engine.
Point is, I work on these engines and know em well. Don't buy a fucked up one.. there's just no financial upside to it.
Bill
1) Valves being out of adjustment won't drop the compression 20%, a leaky head gasket or other expensive problems will.
2) S38s are not cheap. Properly maintained they can run for a very long time, but a bad one is EXPENSIVE to fix.
Tim has a NICE one for sale for, IMO, VERY cheap money. If you want to do this swap, buy Tim's engine.. I knew the car it came out of, it was a well known M5 that was known to run VERY well with a VERY strong motor.
See, if this engine you buy has problems, they will only get worse, a valve adjustment won't fix them. And a Valve adjustment isn't $1,500.. I usually charge around $300 to do it including shims and a new gasket.
I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to save you from spending too much on an engine that could suck up big money when Tim has a super nice engine for sale for short cash. Wanna do the swap? Great! Buy Tim's Engine. I also know Tim personally and will vouch for him. I also know that engine.
Point is, I work on these engines and know em well. Don't buy a fucked up one.. there's just no financial upside to it.
Bill
-
Kyle in NO
- Posts: 17638
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

