How many E-28ers have a manual?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply

how many E 28ers own a manual?

Bentley,
51
85%
Haynes
5
8%
other
4
7%
 
Total votes: 60

a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

How many E-28ers have a manual?

Post by a »

How many of you people own a manual ? If so which one
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Bentley got my vote.

I also have the paper ETM for the 533i, a little blue BMW torque specifications book, the large blue 2 volume 2002 factory manual, both factory paper parts and workshop manuals for the R100RS and an original factory manual for the R75/5. I also have a couple of versions of the electronic ETK and ETM.

How do we classify the valid and verified materials archived on my hard drives from the Web?
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by RonW »

Both my cars are manual. (Rimshot.)

The Bentley was the one of the first things I bought for my car back in 1992. At one point I bought a Haynes, but gave it to someone who had a 3-series that it allegedly covered.

I also have the factory repair manual (11/85) and the '86 ETM.
johnnye23
Posts: 5059
Joined: Sep 27, 2006
Location: Auburn Ca
Contact:

Post by johnnye23 »

Factory manual ;)
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

You should have included the factory manual...I have one of those as well, along with the Bentley and a Haynes.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

Actually, I had a 4th option ,but it didnt post. It was : I'm so effing smart ,I dont need a manual. :lol:
With my etas, I havent needed anything more in depth than the Bentley and the ETM. If I cant find what I need there, I practice the operation on one of my parts cars.
athayer187
Posts: 1644
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: Cheshire, CT

Post by athayer187 »

a wrote:Actually, I had a 4th option ,but it didnt post. It was : I'm so effing smart ,I dont need a manual. :lol:
With my etas, I havent needed anything more in depth than the Bentley and the ETM. If I cant find what I need there, I practice the operation on one of my parts cars.
I agree with this - I don't have parts cars though, so sometimes I go to the junkyard and practice removing parts (drip rails for example) that I don't want to damage on my own car. The Bently is definitely worth more than its weight in gold. I have a factory manual, but I read it more out of curiosity how the factory would do something than as a reference day to day.
skip535i
Posts: 5186
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Lynchburg, VA

Post by skip535i »

I have the bentley, the haynes, AND the factory one...but bentley got my vote
ldsbeaker
Posts: 6134
Joined: Mar 25, 2007
Location: Slicktop City, AZ
Contact:

Post by ldsbeaker »

Bentley and Haynes...
anyone have a line on a Factory Service Manual for me?
Jay in VA
Posts: 1917
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Raleigh, North Cakalacky

Post by Jay in VA »

Well Bentley got the first vote.

I also have:

Haynes 18020 for US version
Haynes 1560 for EURO version - 520i and 528e (hard bound with purdy Euro pictures)
Haynes 632 for 528i and 530i
1990 Chilton Import Manual
1986-1989 MOTOR Manual 11th Edition
1984 - 1987 MOTOR Imported Engine Tune Up and Electronics Manual 4th Edition
MITCHELL 1983 Import Diagnosis and Testing Module"book"
MITCHELL 1984 Import Diagnosis and Testing Module"book"
Bosch Fuel Injection Systems Manual
1993 Edition of BMW Maintenance and Mechanical Quick Reference Guide
1993 Edition of BMW Collision Repair Reference Guide

Just to name a few, is that enough? :laugh:
Last edited by Jay in VA on Jun 05, 2007 1:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.
Posts: 27987
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Well, technically I have both, but I only recently acquired the Bentley with the purchase of a parts car so I checked Haynes. Which is a very poor manual not up to their usual standards. But after 25 years of M30's and BMW's I don't need it a whole lot. I'm not claiming to know everything, but it's not like I need a manual to adjust the valves and change the oil either.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

It's kind of hard to find, but if you dig around on the Auto Zone website long enough you'll find an e28 repair guide. It's about on a par with the Haynes or maybe not even that good, but it could prove handy in a pinch.
Jay in VA
Posts: 1917
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Raleigh, North Cakalacky

Post by Jay in VA »

Mike W. wrote:Well, technically I have both, but I only recently acquired the Bentley with the purchase of a parts car so I checked Haynes. Which is a very poor manual not up to their usual standards. But after 25 years of M30's and BMW's I don't need it a whole lot. I'm not claiming to know everything, but it's not like I need a manual to adjust the valves and change the oil either.
I rarely look at mine anymore, after alot of years of tearing into the m20 and m30 engines and the E28 bodies I know my way around pretty good. But once in a blue moon I forget a small something that usually turns into a big, DUH! Then I go back and find I missed a step. This usually happens when I get in a hurry. :laugh: I don't freak out about much anymore, usually patience and common sense prevail in solving most issues. ;)
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10534
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

I got one in the car, one on the bookshelf and 3 or four on the shelf below that, some in German, not including the BMW E28 manual I got years ago before Bentley had heard about the E28. And that is just the ones I can remember without going to look at em.

Mostly just torque specs now, if someone needs that info.
jgoodwill
Posts: 658
Joined: Aug 03, 2006
Location: Elkin, NC
Contact:

Post by jgoodwill »

I recommend both- the Bentley for the info, and the Haynes for the purty pictures. ;)
Mike W.
Posts: 27987
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

No catagory for the owners manual? ;)
Nebraska_e28
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 9142
Joined: Apr 13, 2006
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Contact:

Post by Nebraska_e28 »

I started with a Haynes until I came to this board & found out about Bentley. Now there's no turning back!
JayM
Posts: 473
Joined: Oct 13, 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post by JayM »

I have both, plus the M635CSi manual on CD for the engine stuff. I also have the Bentley for my E32, and still have one lying around for my E46 which is now gone.

If anyone knows where I can get the paper factory M635 manual, I'd be forever in your debt.
Post Reply