Check those oil pan bolts, gentlemen....

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Al Canuck
Posts: 658
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Check those oil pan bolts, gentlemen....

Post by Al Canuck »

My recently acquired 535i had an oil leak. I brought it in, lifted it up, and noticed several drips from the clutch inspection cover, but nowhere else. I thought "Hmmm, rear main seal is toast". Oh well, needs a clutch anyway, and I have a 265 just waiting to go in, as well as a new driveshaft, and a 3.73LSD.

I raise it up tonight, and yank the gearbox. What do I find? Missing 3 oil pan bolts off the rear of the pan, under the inspection cover! All 3 are stuck, and I mean STUCK in the inspection cover. 2 of them actually embedded themselves into the aluminum! I picked them out, cleaned them off, cleaned the holes, and put them back in. Yes, I should do the pan gasket, but I'm short on time, so it will wait, and I'll monitor the leak. After those ones went back in, I checked the rest of the pan bolts. More than half of them were loose! Like 3 or 4 turns to snug them up kinda loose.

Rear main was also leaking, as was the trans input seal. LOTS of oil inside the bellhousing spells a short lived clutch. Oh well, should be nicer now.

Al
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

I've never seen them come out, but I think every M30 I've ever bought has had pan bolts that were loose enough to leak. Quarter turn, half, maybe even 3/4 of a turn. Definitely some, and something to always be checked if there's any weepage.
Al Canuck
Posts: 658
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Al Canuck »

Same here, only ever loose, but not by much. This is the first time I've seen them falling out, too.

Oh, BTW, my engine has 478000km on it, never been apart.

Al
rags535
Posts: 744
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Delray Beach,Fl.

Post by rags535 »

Thanks,guys;after 5 E28's never thought to check that.Did have to replace one oilpan that lost an arguement to some RR tracks.
T_C_D
Posts: 7733
Joined: May 27, 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Contact:

Post by T_C_D »

Do we need to remind people to check their oil too?
Al Canuck
Posts: 658
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Al Canuck »

T_C_D wrote:Do we need to remind people to check their oil too?

As a matter of fact, yes, yes we do. Thanks for the tip. You have no idea how many people walk into my shop, and have no idea they should be checking their oil between changes. And I'm not talking about people driving minivans and Hondas. E30's, E28's. E36's, etc.

Al
Post Reply