WWOT exporting photos from a MAC

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Post Reply
Spark
Posts: 329
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa Valley California

WWOT exporting photos from a MAC

Post by Spark »

I am trying to export pictures from the library to a card for a photo frame. I can’t seem to get them there. I keep getting “unable to create” message. Do all the photos need to be renamed/ is there a sharing issue with photos having the same name?

I spent countless hours trying to accomplish what I thought was a simple task and now I am about to throw this iMac out in the street. I made a new folder and put all the pics I wanted to export in it. I loaded a new 1G SD card into the reader went to export and kept getting the error message. I then opened up the card and went to the folder where the pic were and selected all. I tried dragging them to the SD card and after about 40 pics transferred I got a message that said “DCI0002.jpg was busy”…WTF

Shouldn’t it be easier than this? :?
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

I don't use Iphoto. I just open the drive and drag the pictures over.
Spark
Posts: 329
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa Valley California

Post by Spark »

Yeah... I tried that but all of my photos dont show up in the drive. I wonder why?
Mless5
Posts: 4033
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marblehead, MA

Post by Mless5 »

Spark wrote:Yeah... I tried that but all of my photos dont show up in the drive. I wonder why?
My camera breaks up into folder however it wants, so they might be in the folder you don't expect them to be.
some guy
Posts: 330
Joined: Oct 29, 2006
Location: Denver

Post by some guy »

You are moving the photos from iPhoto? I would try moving them and burning them to a disk to see if there is a problem with the new SD card. I've never had to rename the photos.
Spark
Posts: 329
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa Valley California

Post by Spark »

Yes, iPhoto,

I tried that… and still no luck.
Azure
Posts: 1480
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Azure »

When it tells you unable to create, does it give you any more reasoning than that? Usually mac errors will point you in the right direction a little more than that.

Do you have more than one user configured on your iMac?
If so, do you have admin access on the account you're using when copying?
Were all the photos downloaded to the iMac using that account?
Have you reformatted the SD card already?
What are your file names? You shouldn't have to rename them, but most memory cards conform to ISO9660 format and often don't like strange characters or long file names. The long file names part Mac OSX should take care of, but strange characters or punctuation in the filename it might not fix, especially when you're trying to copy multiples like that.
Go into Utilities > Disk Utility, select your boot drive and run "Repair Disk Permissions" and try again.
While you're in there, you might as well hit it with a "Verify Disk", too.
Spark
Posts: 329
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Napa Valley California

Post by Spark »

I am at work now so I don’t remember the complete message. I did not know I needed to re-format the card before moving photos to it. I really thought it was as simple as selecting all and dragging them to the card…
Azure
Posts: 1480
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Azure »

Spark wrote:I am at work now so I don’t remember the complete message. I did not know I needed to re-format the card before moving photos to it. I really thought it was as simple as selecting all and dragging them to the card…
You shouldn't have to, but there's a chance that if the card wasn't dismounted correctly off the desktop at some point, the "drive" headers may be damaged/corrupt which might be causing your issue. - Not a mac specific thing, you can do it on a Windows box too if you don't eject them off the desktop before you yank it out of the reader. Since you don't have anything on there you want to save atm (least it doesn't sound like it), it's not going to hurt to do a quick reformat - it'll at least eliminate one more thing.
some guy
Posts: 330
Joined: Oct 29, 2006
Location: Denver

Post by some guy »

Macworld forums are your friend. It's been so long since I had a problem I can't even remember my log-in name. HTH.

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthrea ... s.php?Cat=
Post Reply