Recommendations on strut tower rust repairs

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
E28makaveli
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Recommendations on strut tower rust repairs

Post by E28makaveli »

The time has come for me to start looking into my rust issues. Can someone please give me a recommendation on the best way to fix surface rust formulating besides the strut towers?

I have other rust issues but need to take one at a time, unless someone tells me this is not worth fixing :(

A local shop in town says they will weld a piece over top of the spot. Not very comfortable with that solution, I was wondering if there is another way to do this. Could one just surgically tear out these rust areas and weld in new pieces of steel instead?

Attached are some photos of what I am looking at.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23247654@N02/9290193806
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23247654@N02/9290195246
Last edited by E28makaveli on Jul 14, 2013 10:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

If it is in fact just surface rust, sand it down and paint it. If it's bad enough that metal has to be welded in, the rusted parts need to be cut out and replaced - installing patches over the top of it is a bad idea.
E28makaveli
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by E28makaveli »

stuartinmn wrote:If it is in fact just surface rust, sand it down and paint it. If it's bad enough that metal has to be welded in, the rusted parts need to be cut out and replaced - installing patches over the top of it is a bad idea.
Thanks. Yes, I did not sound overly excited with the idea of welding a piece over top. Sounds like lipstick on a pig type of solution. Should I be considering taking this work somewhere else?
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

JFYI There is no other kind of rust but "Surface Rust"

Since ferrous metal needs both water and oxygen to oxidize there can be no other rust but surface rust. I have seen cars advertised (correctly) with "Surface Rust" that would break in half over a speed bump.

Pictures would help.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Re: Recommendations on strut tower rust repairs

Post by davintosh »

Image Image

Sorry, but that looks to be more than just surface rust; it most likely started at the bottom and has worked its way up. Think about where it's located and what was exposed to conditions that might cause rust... the only time that area under the hood gets wet is when you wash out under the hood. Underneath is a different story though. It gets spray from the front wheel, and there are plenty of obstructions to retain corrosive gunk.

Stuart is dead on; patching over the top isn't going to fix the issue. If you're intent on keeping the car on the road, cut out the rust and replace the metal entirely. You'd need parts cut out from a donor car that doesn't have rust in that area. Sherman (1st 5er) is usually a good source for that. :D Whether it's worth the trouble depends on how much you like the car, and how bad the rust is on the rest of the car. An alternative is to shop around for a rust-free shell.

You don't mention where you're located; I'm guessing rust-belt. ;)
Coldswede
Posts: 6859
Joined: Oct 10, 2008
Location: Back U.P. North,. Where the water's blue, the wind is free and seasons four.

Post by Coldswede »

Ugh! What you see is only a drop in the ocean, of rust!

Dave is right, consider a new dry shell.
E28makaveli
Posts: 147
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Re: Recommendations on strut tower rust repairs

Post by E28makaveli »

davintosh wrote:Image Image

Sorry, but that looks to be more than just surface rust; it most likely started at the bottom and has worked its way up. Think about where it's located and what was exposed to conditions that might cause rust... the only time that area under the hood gets wet is when you wash out under the hood. Underneath is a different story though. It gets spray from the front wheel, and there are plenty of obstructions to retain corrosive gunk.

Stuart is dead on; patching over the top isn't going to fix the issue. If you're intent on keeping the car on the road, cut out the rust and replace the metal entirely. You'd need parts cut out from a donor car that doesn't have rust in that area. Sherman (1st 5er) is usually a good source for that. :D Whether it's worth the trouble depends on how much you like the car, and how bad the rust is on the rest of the car. An alternative is to shop around for a rust-free shell.

You don't mention where you're located; I'm guessing rust-belt. ;)
Thanks for the response. I have had this M535i for about 10 years now and it has never failed me once. So will like to restore and keep it as I can almost do every thing else but body work.

I bought the car from Switzerland and some of these rust spots had already started to appear. Probably just natural degradation over the years as I do not wash the engine bay.

I am located in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada which is also considered rust belt. We salt our roads although this car is never driven in the winter.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at the other rust areas and decide what to do from here. I never thought about a rust free shell. That is a good alternative, thanks.
JohnH
Posts: 739
Joined: Jan 24, 2007
Location: Surrey,UK

Re: Recommendations on strut tower rust repairs

Post by JohnH »

E28makaveli wrote:I bought the car from Switzerland and some of these rust spots had already started to appear. Probably just natural degradation over the years as I do not wash the engine bay.
I spotted the vin plate and did wonder about your cars history. The rust in the pictures is bad, but not unrepairable. You should take a close look underneath, paying particular attention to the sill areas beneath the tupperware. Apart from that its a nice looking car.
davintosh
Posts: 13965
Joined: Jan 28, 2009
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Contact:

Re: Recommendations on strut tower rust repairs

Post by davintosh »

E28makaveli wrote:I have had this M535i for about 10 years now and it has never failed me once. So will like to restore and keep it as I can almost do every thing else but body work.

I bought the car from Switzerland and some of these rust spots had already started to appear. Probably just natural degradation over the years as I do not wash the engine bay.
Ahhh... Euro ///M car; I think I'd have some attachment to it as well. I'm sure you could get some helpful responses to a WTB ad for a clean shell in For Sale / Wanted - Cars. Keep us posted on how things go with it; that could be an interesting story to tell!

Any other pics of your car elsewhere on the forum?
867535i
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 10, 2012
Location: Detroit

Post by 867535i »

Wire brush (on a grinder) to remove the paint around the rust, you'll find that it probably goes an inch into the paint.

Cut out the affected area

Cut out a patch, hammer or bend it into shape a bit.

Weld it up, grind it down, and done.

I'm guessing this isn't for a concourse car so just fix it the best you can and drive it for years to come. It's not that bad yet, or I should say it's still easily fixable. I did a similar repair on my e3 which was probably a days worth of work. Hope this helps. http://s989.photobucket.com/user/awwwcr ... t=6&page=1
Post Reply