e-brake lever alternatives?
-
fastenerpuller
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Jun 04, 2012
- Location: San Francisco
e-brake lever alternatives?
Hi guys-
I am thinking through potential interior modifications (since I'm basically starting from a blank canvas) and I'm wondering if there's any way to use the offset e-brake lever from another BMW (E34 or E36, for example) in order to free up center console real estate for change, unpaid parking tickets, etc. Baring that, is there any way to mount the e28 lever skewed to the side? I did a cursory search of the forums and didn't find anything.
much obliged
fp
I am thinking through potential interior modifications (since I'm basically starting from a blank canvas) and I'm wondering if there's any way to use the offset e-brake lever from another BMW (E34 or E36, for example) in order to free up center console real estate for change, unpaid parking tickets, etc. Baring that, is there any way to mount the e28 lever skewed to the side? I did a cursory search of the forums and didn't find anything.
much obliged
fp
Didn't Cupholder Zealot already go down this rabbit hole?
Last edited by ldsbeaker on Feb 23, 2013 2:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Cupholder Nazi has been much derided for his modification. Personally I didn't notice when I drove his car, shift points came up real quick once the turbo spooled up.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=91346
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=91346
-
Cupholder Zealot
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Jun 11, 2011
- Location: Bay Area, El Cerrito Ca
Thanks Mike, but I think if I did what this OP is suggesting, instead of bending my own, I would have been derided considerably less...
Please take note of the new screen name... I've just become a public figure, and don't want to ruffle the feathers of any of our Jewish friends
To the OP, I bent my brake handle over to make room for a very fancy cupholder that is stainless steel with a beige vinyl accent.
Please take note of the new screen name... I've just become a public figure, and don't want to ruffle the feathers of any of our Jewish friends
To the OP, I bent my brake handle over to make room for a very fancy cupholder that is stainless steel with a beige vinyl accent.
-
Cupholder Zealot
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Jun 11, 2011
- Location: Bay Area, El Cerrito Ca
Here's the link to the improved cupholder, though the brake lever stayed the same.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=99749&highlight=
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=99749&highlight=
-
fastenerpuller
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Jun 04, 2012
- Location: San Francisco
zealot
Ha!
It's funny, I almost referred to the original "upholder revolution" (or whatever) thread that you posted. The idea here is to take the brake lever whole hog from a different car and then either use the appropriate surround or build out some kind of custom center console.
I have looked around but haven't really seen a good solution to interior storage space, though there are lots of cupholder ideas. I currently have a simple acrylic thinger (design cribbed from someone on here) which works great, but it doesn't give you great access to the e-brake. I'd like to get some sort of proper center console (maybe one of those e30 husco armrests?) but the brake lever uses up pretty much all the premium space.
The map pocket cup holder won't cut it because I'm a pretty sizable dude and my leg goes over there. Plus, I got maps.
It's funny, I almost referred to the original "upholder revolution" (or whatever) thread that you posted. The idea here is to take the brake lever whole hog from a different car and then either use the appropriate surround or build out some kind of custom center console.
I have looked around but haven't really seen a good solution to interior storage space, though there are lots of cupholder ideas. I currently have a simple acrylic thinger (design cribbed from someone on here) which works great, but it doesn't give you great access to the e-brake. I'd like to get some sort of proper center console (maybe one of those e30 husco armrests?) but the brake lever uses up pretty much all the premium space.
The map pocket cup holder won't cut it because I'm a pretty sizable dude and my leg goes over there. Plus, I got maps.
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
-
fastenerpuller
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Jun 04, 2012
- Location: San Francisco
more brakes
to be clear:
I am not talking about introducing a bent lever, but thanks to Moosehead's spoiler I think what I am talking about is some kind of ligature between an offset lever (like the ones I mentioned) and the rod of the standard brake lever. Maybe that's dumb/impossible. Maybe I'm talking about creating some sort of alternate means of interacting with the brake entirely. Zealot's approach is starting to sound more reasonable with each post.
I guess the answer to my intial question is:
NO

I am not talking about introducing a bent lever, but thanks to Moosehead's spoiler I think what I am talking about is some kind of ligature between an offset lever (like the ones I mentioned) and the rod of the standard brake lever. Maybe that's dumb/impossible. Maybe I'm talking about creating some sort of alternate means of interacting with the brake entirely. Zealot's approach is starting to sound more reasonable with each post.
I guess the answer to my intial question is:
NO
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
-
fastenerpuller
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Jun 04, 2012
- Location: San Francisco
-
EuroTrash88
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Feb 10, 2013
- Location: Lynchburg, Oh
-
Cupholder Zealot
- Posts: 285
- Joined: Jun 11, 2011
- Location: Bay Area, El Cerrito Ca
Re: more brakes
Actually, the bent e-brake handle isn't a great idea from a reliability point of view. Since the actuating rod inside the lever is solid, I had to cut metal out of the bend of the handle body in order to make room for the bend of the rod to have room to move back and forth. The result...is a very weak e-brake handle that will deform if you pull it hard.fastenerpuller wrote: Zealot's approach is starting to sound more reasonable with each post.
So, what I do is pull the handle where it goes into the console, and not the end of the handle, which is the proper place.
In my case, I would simply replace the handle with a new one before selling the car.
Alternatively, you may be able to find a flexible rod for the inside, such as one of those flexible bit driver things, and not have to remove metal from the bend in the handle in order to increase the strength of the bend.
I think I could actually get away with a straight handle and my current cupholder, and would simply have to pull the lever from the same place I do now.
With these parts a dime a dozen, its worth a try to see what you can fab. You can become famous around here, just like me
-
Rich Euro M5
- Posts: 6098
- Joined: Mar 10, 2006
- Location: Klein, Texas
There's a lot of things that could be done, but none easy. You could weld up a side extension and mount so the lever was offset but working the original mechanism in the original location. Offset, not bent. But that is somewhat invasive if not over the top. Interesting all the possibilities, but how much effort is it worth?Rich Euro M5 wrote:What about the e-brake lever from a 140 Series Volvo. In the old Volvos the e-brake lever was between the door sill and the driver's seat. If there's room for the lever it would competely open up the trans tunnel. The downside would be relocating the e-brake cables.
-
fastenerpuller
- Posts: 291
- Joined: Jun 04, 2012
- Location: San Francisco
Hi guys-
Keep in mind my car currently has no ebrake in it, so even acquiring parts and rebuilding it to stock is going to take a little doing. I like the idea of swapping out an existing offset lever (like the volvo one proposed) but I'm not entirely sure how that would go. I'll be honest, I've never done anything with an ebrake before.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, if it's just a matter of routing cables, I've probably made enough wacky bicycle setups that it wouldn't be outside of my limited capacity.
Keep in mind my car currently has no ebrake in it, so even acquiring parts and rebuilding it to stock is going to take a little doing. I like the idea of swapping out an existing offset lever (like the volvo one proposed) but I'm not entirely sure how that would go. I'll be honest, I've never done anything with an ebrake before.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, if it's just a matter of routing cables, I've probably made enough wacky bicycle setups that it wouldn't be outside of my limited capacity.


