timing chain components question

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
RoyW
Posts: 2877
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Albany, NY

timing chain components question

Post by RoyW »

As I have my project car motor out and on a stand, with access to everything... does it make sense to replace anything in the timing chain area, e.g., chain, tensioner, slide rail, piston, ball, spring, etc.? The engine has 153K on it and I am having the head refreshed (+1mm intake valves), also did all the bottom-end bearing a couple weeks ago, and everything else looks quite good. Planning to button her back up as soon as the head is back from the shop and I have the stuff from TCD (head gasket, bolts, bung installed in oil pan and in filter housing, etc.) Just not sure if its over-kill to replace any/all the timing components? Thanks for any advice.

-RoyW
AlpinaE24
Posts: 721
Joined: Mar 12, 2011
Location: Arizona

Post by AlpinaE24 »

Might as well replace it all while it is easy, all the parts are only about $75, I think it would be extremely stupid not to replace everything
Mike W.
Posts: 27986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

153K is young for these engines, but since you're there... I'd do the chain, tensioner rail and guide rail, but shine on the piston and spring, I don't think I've ever heard of one of them failing.
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post by ahab »

I support the consensus here. I wish I was home to take a photo though, I took a tensioner plunger out of a motor with 250k and the two ears were broken clean off. I'd replace it all since the up front cost is negligible and the down-the-road cost (if there were to be any) could be great.
Post Reply