Stripping a rear spoiler

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
867535i
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 10, 2012
Location: Detroit

Stripping a rear spoiler

Post by 867535i »

Does anyone have experience with using some kind of solvent to remove the paint on a rear spoiler. It's cracked too badly to be able to use filler so I have to strip it all the way down.The paint is literally coming off in chips so sanding seems like a bad option but I'm worried that solvents might eat away at the foam.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

You can remove the fiberglass piece from the rest of the spoiler (if the fasteners aren't already toast.)
867535i
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 10, 2012
Location: Detroit

Post by 867535i »

I'm more concerned with the rubbery part since fiberglass holds up to solvents better. The paint on the fiberglass portion isn't nearly as bad either but thanks for the tip.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

The foam isn't painted. That's the outer skin of the rubber degrading.
gidgaf
Posts: 391
Joined: Feb 22, 2011
Location: LAX, Kalifornia

spoiler

Post by gidgaf »

Sounds like plasti dip time!
Mike W.
Posts: 27987
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

mooseheadm5 wrote:The foam isn't painted. That's the outer skin of the rubber degrading.
The foam shouldn't be painted. I have seen it done more than once. And yeah, the bolts that hold it togther like to rust, even here in Calif. I would suggest a good soaking for a day or three with Liquid Wrench before attempting to remove them or else you are likely to spin the kept nuts and end up with a real mess.
867535i
Posts: 404
Joined: Apr 10, 2012
Location: Detroit

Post by 867535i »

Yeah, it is painted so I guess there's no easy answer on how to get it off. It totally slipped my mind that it should be rubber but I paid next to nothing for it so no complaints.
Post Reply