Wheel Question--Interpreting the markings

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
GKLCPA
Posts: 1292
Joined: Apr 10, 2011
Location: PA

Wheel Question--Interpreting the markings

Post by GKLCPA »

Here's a picture of some markings on some rims I just got:

Image

Is the correct interpretation of the markings the rim measurement of 16x8 and the offset of 23? These are style 5's off of an E38

If that's the case, according to the wheel and tire tutorial, these should fit without a spacer, but when I tried one on the front,there's no clearance for the strut, so either I have the wrong sized rim or will need to get a spacer for them to work. These are going on my 86 eta. What's the deal? Thanks.
GKLCPA
Posts: 1292
Joined: Apr 10, 2011
Location: PA

Post by GKLCPA »

Just saw another thread on this rim and I think that I answered my question. It looks like I'll need a 5mm spacer on the front on these? Also, the tutorial indicates that 205 55 16's fit, but I'm seeing some threads here saying that 215 55 16 are a better fit and don't require fender rolling. I bought these on the basis of not having to get any more tires---but it looks like I'm gonna have to get some. That sucks because I just bought two new 205's for the rear.
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

I ran 205/55's on mine for over a year and a half with no issues. With 205 you should not need a spacer up front.

If you are going to run a 225 on the front you may need a 5mm spacer.

Technically a 205 is what people here will call "stretched" but it is barely a stretch at all IMO. If you have brand new 205's, run them and enjoy how much better your car will look with these style 5's!

This is mine on 205/55's, wheels are bronze now and I am running 205/50's.

Image
GKLCPA
Posts: 1292
Joined: Apr 10, 2011
Location: PA

Post by GKLCPA »

I had them do a test fit and they put the rim on without the tire. The rim itself was fairly close to the front strut, so they were claiming that it wouldn't fit without a spacer and were trying to say that the 205's wouldn't fit----of course, this was a tire place with tires they wanted to sell, so that's suspect on it's face.

The rim without the tire is real close to the strut, so once the tire goes on it will be tight, but it is that the 205's are just narrow enough where they just fit with no issue?
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

Yup, 205's will fit no problem. Rubbing should only occur without a spacer if you are using a 225.

Dont listen to the dummy at the tire place. Put your 205's on and enjoy!
GKLCPA
Posts: 1292
Joined: Apr 10, 2011
Location: PA

Post by GKLCPA »

Slow_Ballin' wrote:Yup, 205's will fit no problem. Rubbing should only occur without a spacer if you are using a 225.

Dont listen to the dummy at the tire place. Put your 205's on and enjoy!
Hopefully, I'll have them on tomorrow.
bavarianautowrks
Posts: 555
Joined: Mar 06, 2011
Location: Asheville, North Carolina

Post by bavarianautowrks »

My 225s fit just fine without a spacer up front. Obviously tire dependent. Same e38 wheel, 16x8 et23. Just my .02
GKLCPA
Posts: 1292
Joined: Apr 10, 2011
Location: PA

Post by GKLCPA »

bavarianautowrks wrote:My 225s fit just fine without a spacer up front. Obviously tire dependent. Same e38 wheel, 16x8 et23. Just my .02
Thanks and if that's the case, my 205's should definitely fit without an issue. I'm going to drive on them until I need to replace them and then move to 215's or 225's
Slow_Ballin'
Posts: 1425
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Sacramento

Post by Slow_Ballin' »

GKLCPA wrote:
bavarianautowrks wrote:My 225s fit just fine without a spacer up front. Obviously tire dependent. Same e38 wheel, 16x8 et23. Just my .02
Thanks and if that's the case, my 205's should definitely fit without an issue. I'm going to drive on them until I need to replace them and then move to 215's or 225's
Great plan!
GKLCPA
Posts: 1292
Joined: Apr 10, 2011
Location: PA

Post by GKLCPA »

Slow_Ballin' wrote:
GKLCPA wrote:
bavarianautowrks wrote:My 225s fit just fine without a spacer up front. Obviously tire dependent. Same e38 wheel, 16x8 et23. Just my .02
Thanks and if that's the case, my 205's should definitely fit without an issue. I'm going to drive on them until I need to replace them and then move to 215's or 225's
Great plan!
Got them on and they fit just fine and look much better too. The old rims were leaky and bent, so I'm glad those are off. Thanks for the advice!
Post Reply