E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
Post
by Kyle in NO » Sep 17, 2012 8:55 AM
Selector seal.
Brad D.
Posts: 10735 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:
Post
by Brad D. » Sep 17, 2012 11:47 AM
Kyle in NO wrote: Selector seal.
x2
Jelmer538i
Posts: 1222 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Netherlands
Contact:
Post
by Jelmer538i » Sep 17, 2012 12:35 PM
Is it a dog-leg? Those always leak from the vent hole. I had 2 of them and they both did it.
bunty
Posts: 1250 Joined: May 26, 2009
Location: CA
Post
by bunty » Sep 17, 2012 8:58 PM
will i have to take off the whole trans or can be done with only the driveshaft out.
btw not a dog leg
the trans reads 262 0.510.00 (225) (2.3)
dont know what that means.
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I COULD BUY THE SELECTOR SEAL FOR THIS BOX OR IS IT SIMILAR WITH 260 GEARBOX.
shocka
Posts: 974 Joined: Mar 12, 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Post
by shocka » Sep 17, 2012 10:22 PM
Hahahaa
bunty
Posts: 1250 Joined: May 26, 2009
Location: CA
Post
by bunty » Sep 18, 2012 3:07 AM
thanks kohler.
bunty
Posts: 1250 Joined: May 26, 2009
Location: CA
Post
by bunty » Sep 18, 2012 7:52 PM
guys if i lift up the front with jack stand does the drive shaft needs to comeout to access the selector seal.
if anyones done this before.
TheLazyDog
Posts: 916 Joined: Oct 26, 2011
Location: Elgin, Illinois
Contact:
Post
by TheLazyDog » Sep 18, 2012 10:25 PM
If you lift the front with a jack stand I will eat a jar of Nutella in under 5 minutes and post the video here.
shocka
Posts: 974 Joined: Mar 12, 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Post
by shocka » Sep 19, 2012 12:45 AM
I dont think you could get it without at least dropping the front of the D/S.
wkohler
Posts: 50939 Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:
Post
by wkohler » Sep 19, 2012 12:49 AM
It can be done. Just a pain in the ass, really. You don't have to remove the old one. I want to say there's room for three seals in there at least, if I remember Mike W. correctly.
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638 Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
Post
by Kyle in NO » Sep 19, 2012 1:01 AM
/\/\/\ Troof.
bunty
Posts: 1250 Joined: May 26, 2009
Location: CA
Post
by bunty » Sep 19, 2012 2:55 AM
I want to say there's room for three seals in there at least, if I remember Mike W. correctly.[/quote]
i have heard of it in bimmerforums too we'll see how it goes.