e30 Heater/AC Box in E28
e30 Heater/AC Box in E28
Was at the junkyard today looking for treasure. I happened to see an e30 that was stripped down and noticed the heater/ac box was similar in design (ie water inlets, fan position). Just a wild thought....has anyone ever tried to retrofit this box into an e28? Seems as if it is a more modern design, smaller, single fan, etc. Thoughts???
Last edited by Chuckne on Jan 09, 2011 12:54 PM, edited 2 times in total.
I would guess that one would have to modify the underdash ducts to make this work. The real question is if the box would fit without modification (fit the firewall fan opening and have the pipes fit the stock hole). Maybe I will have to make another yard run today in the 18 degree F weather...I was really hoping that someone would chime in and say it won't work because of X, Y or Z. But what the hell...it never really to cold....you're just not dressed warm enough
I don't know, but I would bet a significant amount of money it won't easily fit. Now anything can be made to fit, but I suspect the shape against the firewall alone is rather different. Next the output ducts, and finally the wiring and plumbing, though that may be the easiest to make work. Of course there's always one way to find out...
The biggest advantage I can see with that.. An e30 will let you run the AC and heat together to defrost/defog the windows
. It doesn't tell you how in the little defrost graphic but it works if you open the middle or bottom slider enough to turn the compressor on. It will dehumidify the car on a moist day very nicely. You won't get hot air out the dash vents on the e30 though. It stays cool even when full on hot only the floor and defrost vents are hot.
-
Kyle in NO
- Posts: 17638
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
Re: box swap
No and no.poet1 wrote:So, did you do it? Did it work?
Re: box swap
Kyle in NO wrote:No and no.poet1 wrote:So, did you do it? Did it work?


