How much should i look to spend on breaks?

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Blackey1693
Posts: 177
Joined: Sep 15, 2010
Location: East Haven CT

How much should i look to spend on breaks?

Post by Blackey1693 »

I have an 83 533i that needs a brake job but I haven't done a full brake job on my cars sense my first e28 almost three years ago and I have no clue what to even look to spend now. I'm not trying to go all out with a big break kit just yet just something better then stock. (pads sensors and rotors) any idea what I should look to spend? I was thinking around 200-350 possibly depending on where I get my parts from. I got my local shop that helps me out too. Also who makes upgrade brakes for e28s? I know brembo does but who else?
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

I usually don't spend more than a buck for a cup of coffee.

But seriously, disassemble and check for sticking calipers, torn caliper seals, worn or warped rotors and worn pads. Then you can make a list of replacement parts.
Last edited by demetk on Nov 09, 2011 10:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Blackey1693
Posts: 177
Joined: Sep 15, 2010
Location: East Haven CT

Post by Blackey1693 »

Was that supposed to be helpful?
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Re: How much should i look to spend on breaks?

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Blackey1693 wrote: Re: How much should i look to spend on breaks?

I have an 83 533i that needs a brake job but I haven't done a full brake job on my cars sense my first e28 almost three years ago and I have no clue what to even look to spend now. I'm not trying to go all out with a big break kit just yet just something better then stock. (pads sensors and rotors) any idea what I should look to spend? I was thinking around 200-350 possibly depending on where I get my parts from. I got my local shop that helps me out too. Also who makes upgrade brakes for e28s? I know brembo does but who else?
BRAKES are what stops a car when you step on the proper pedal.
break   [breyk] Show IPA verb, broke or (Archaic) brake; bro·ken or (Archaic) broke; break·ing; noun
verb (used with object)
1.
to smash, split, or divide into parts violently; reduce to pieces or fragments: He broke a vase.
2.
to infringe, ignore, or act contrary to (a law, rule, promise, etc.): She broke her promise.
3.
to dissolve or annul (often followed by off): to break off friendly relations with another country.
4.
to fracture a bone of (some part of the body): He broke his leg.
5.
to lacerate; wound: to break the skin.
Yes, I'm in a "crotchety old fart" mood and hate the misuse of the words highlighted in this post.
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

Blackey1693 wrote:Was that supposed to be helpful?
Was supposed to be humorous. I've added more serious stuff. good luck with it.
Blackey1693
Posts: 177
Joined: Sep 15, 2010
Location: East Haven CT

Post by Blackey1693 »

Spell check failed me again srry
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

Blackey1693 wrote:Spell check failed me again srry
Both words are spelled correctly. You have to know the definition of each spelling (of the word) and use it properly and consistently.
Blackey1693
Posts: 177
Joined: Sep 15, 2010
Location: East Haven CT

Post by Blackey1693 »

Yea I know, typed brakes wrong and it changed it the first time second time was just dumb mistake. But continuing on the topic here, what should I look to spend?
Blue Shadow
Posts: 10539
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SE PA

Post by Blue Shadow »

http://www.autohausaz.com

Put in your make and model and get the pricing for each item listed in the thread to get the worst news for parts from a discount supplier.

Go to BMW and spend close to a grand for the 4 corners without serious problems.

Most upgrade brakes on the E28 are from BMWs later big cars. Front and rear upgrades available that bolt right on.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Get new stock rotors (<$50 each) and a set of PBR Deluxe or Metalmaster pads (~$60 front; ~$35 rear). You'll be right around $300 in parts.
Mike W.
Posts: 27990
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Some don't like the feel of them, but depending on your wheels and how easy or difficult they are to clean you might want to consider ceramic pads. They dust less and what dust there is, is light in color. I've got them on the wife's touring that has style 5's and I'm happy with them.
mcm97
Posts: 637
Joined: Nov 28, 2010
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

Post by mcm97 »

If I can offer my $0.02 here because I just went through all this...

If you dont know the cars histroy I would suggest replacing the lines, master cyl gasket and brake bomb. Spend the money now or replace it later and reflush. That's my best advice

rotors - $200
pads - $150
Brake Bomb - $175
gaskets - $10
Stainless Lines - $50
fluid - $40

$625 out the door and you dont have to worry about crap for quite some time
Post Reply