Oil pump not pumping.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Oil pump not pumping.

Post by Shadow »

Quick question.

I took off the oil pump and put it back in.
wiped down the metal plate and the surfices clean.
Bolted everything down like it was, but I'm having 0 oil pressure.

What could this be?
The metal ring fell out and I put it back in.
Could it be in backwards or does it matter?

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/S ... ith_drive/
south26
Posts: 6374
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Kettering, OH

Post by south26 »

It could be your bearings. Or the oil pump is bad. What engine do you have? You did put that in your post.

Andy
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Post by Shadow »

It's a b35 but should be the same as a b34, just a different pick up.

It worked great before, then I took it out for something.
Bolted it back in, no pressure, nothing.


First time I cranked it to get oil pressure up but it never got 1psi.

Took the pump out again.
The pump was dry. It just had some of the old black oil in it.

So next I poured oil in hole on the side of the block to somewhat prime it.
I saw oil going into the rotor/pump and out the pick up. good.

Cranked it over again and still nothing squirting out at all.
Took it off again and saw that there was oil in the pump so this makes no sense to me. I have no idea what to do now.
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

pack some vaseline into the pump gears to create suction. Wasn't this discussed in another thread?
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Did you put the relief valve together properly or might it be stuck open?
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Post by Shadow »

I didn't touch the valve, just unbolted the pick-up to take the pan out , then just bolted it back in. I really have no clue what to do next.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Is the sprocket on there tight? Is it fully seated? Is there maybe a large gap somewhere in the pump body or maybe a hole that you might have missed? Sounds like you need to start by dropping the pan again.
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Post by Shadow »

Yeah everything is there just like it was.
When the motor turns, the rotor turns and I didn't even touch that at all.

I dropped it 4 times now. It should just prime by cranking right? Or even hand turning ?
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Just crank it up and gun the engine. ;)
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Post by Shadow »

I feel like doing just that. trust me. :laugh:
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post by ahab »

No one has mentioned the sender yet. Are you able to swap it to make sure it's functioning, or at least double check the wiring? Also, did the old pump have shims? If they're out of alignment they "could" block some flow. I cobbled together a B34/B35 oil pump/pan a few months ago and had no issues with priming. It was automatic. What's the part number of the ring that fell out? Sounds like that's the only thing that's different.
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Post by Shadow »

I'm not using a sender. I'm watching the canister with no lid, watching to see if oil squirts out.

The only shim is the metal plate that separates the in/out sections.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/S ... ith_drive/

I'm going to take it apart, pack the pick up and rotor section full of vasoline and then if that doesn't work idk.
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Re: Oil pump not pumping.

Post by ahab »

Sorry if I'm confused but you keep mentioning parts and including a link to a diagram, but make no mention of which part numbers you're talking about. Shims are part #7 and #15 in the realoem diagram below and can block your flow in they're in wrong. On a B35 it's unlikely you have them. If the ring you're talking about is part #24, and it "fell" out when you took the pump out the first time, then I I would bet that's part of your problem. This diagram is a B34 pump so the innards may look a little different but that spring and piston should have come out too when the ring came out. If you got that back together wrong then you probably won't have pressure. Is this a known good pump to begin with? Hope this helps.

Image
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Post by Shadow »

ya the b35 has no shims.
What I'm talking about is 12 in your picture.

It worked when I took it out now it's not picking up any oil.
Mike W.
Posts: 27990
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

A couple of things come to mind. Same pickup and same oilpan? Pre E28 pans are shallower and might block the pickup. Next would be if something got in between the pump and the pickup so it wasn't sealed. Or if somehow the pickup got cracked in the on/off. I've put a few pumps back in I've had apart, sometimes with different pickups, and while I have always given them a few squirts of oil, I've never needed vasoline or anything like that.
demetk
Posts: 8433
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: CT, USA

Post by demetk »

Mike W. wrote:and while I have always given them a few squirts of oil, I've never needed vasoline or anything like that.
Me neither. Just filled them with oil and cranked away for a couple of seconds. Are you using a manual oil pressure gauge to test pressure?

Image
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Shadow wrote:Bolted everything down like it was, but I'm having 0 oil pressure.
OK, just to establish a baseline for what we're talking about. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, just "covering the bases".

You say you get 0 oil pressure. I'm assuming you're cranking with the coil disconnected or some other method to keep the motor from firing. How long are you cranking before you declare it non-functional? 5-10 seconds is sufficient, less might not be enough to extinguish the oil light with just engine cranking. Are you watching the oil light on the dash or using a real mechanical gauge?

Have you pulled the valve cover and confirmed that there is in fact no oil making it to the head? Again, 5-10 seconds of cranking is all it should take before you start seeing oil out the sprayer bar. This will confirm whether or not your oil pressure sensor circuit is working.

Mild insult to your intelligence: there is oil in the pan, right? It's like you put the pan on and forgot to fill it with oil?

One thing to check is any gaskets, particularly any gaskets between the impeller and the pickup. If there's any gap in there, the pump won't produce the negative pressure it needs to pull in the oil from the oil pan. It'll just suck air in through the gap in the gasket. It happened on my dad's MBG build, gasket set had the wrong gasket. Drove us nuts when we went to start it.

Jeremy
Shadow
Posts: 951
Joined: Dec 28, 2008
Location: USA

Post by Shadow »

Hey Jeremy thanks for trying to help.
Ask whatever, I know you guys are helping so ask away.
Even if it is a stupid question anyone can be a stupid person doing stupid mistakes, yeah know? ;)

The problem is fixed but just so we're clear the b35 is the same pump as the b34, just with a different pick up.
Maybe short or longer but it's the same thing.

The idiot dash light isn't hooked up. Or any type of pressure
senser although the canister is tapped for one.
I was watching the out hole with the lid off. Sometimes I had
the canister off and watching the side of the block.

Turns out just cranking it (300-400rpm ?) isn't fast enough for the pump to make oil come out the hole.
Even after packing vasoline and pouring oil down the hole.

Or..... Just in my situation it needed more RPM to get it to bite, and start to prime/pump.

I sometimes saw oil trying to come out but not quite.
So I just bolted everything together and STARTED IT UP. F-it.

Oil squirted out like a fountain and got my friend in the face. lol

So the fix was to just turn the car on. :?
I'm just hoping that all that cranking didn't wear down the bearings too bad although I had some nice oil with good zddp. Whatever. Now it's all good and boosting again.

Looking back whenever putting in a new oil pump just squirt some oil down the out hole to prime then just start it up, Like Mike said.
turbodan
Posts: 9705
Joined: Jan 09, 2007

Post by turbodan »

Had this happen before with an M20. Oil pump went in dry, started engine, ran engine for a minute and still no oil pressure. Had to crank the motor with the filter off, which quickly self primed.

Motor should be fine. It'd be hard on the cam and valvetrain if you put a motor together dry and ran it like that, but other than that its no biggie.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Shadow wrote: Oil squirted out like a fountain and got my friend in the face. lol
Bukkake M30?
Post Reply