How to ID hard drive failure.

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

How to ID hard drive failure.

Post by booker »

My computer (Dell XPS laptop with win XP Pro) shit the bed yesterday. It will not boot.

The power light and some case LEDs come on, and it tries to read the dvd drive, but nothing else happens. I have tried to boot it with the windows installation disc that came with the computer, no dice. I downloaded the "Ultimate boot CD for windows", and that makes a bunch of clicks and whirs from the DVD drive, but still nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
mogie
Posts: 2575
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Norwalk, CT

Post by mogie »

Do you have a desktop? First thing i always do is run the HD on another computer to figure out if its a mechanical failure or a data issue
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Yes, yes, of course...


And how would one go about doing that, again?

:|
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post by ahab »

Boot machine, hit F1, F2, or F12 (screen should say which you need) to get into the BIOS. Set first boot device to Optical (CD DVD or whatever) and try to boot to your install CD. If that works it's likely your hard disc that has failed. If it still doesn't successfully boot then it's not your hard disc and likely the laptop itself. If it does boot to optical then remove your hard disc and try to mount it with your desktop machine.
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

booker wrote:Yes, yes, of course...


And how would one go about doing that, again?

:|
Get a USB "notebook drive housing", remove drive from notebook and install in housing, plug it into any PC and see if you can access the data.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

ahab wrote:Boot machine, hit F1, F2, or F12 (screen should say which you need) to get into the BIOS. Set first boot device to Optical (CD DVD or whatever) and try to boot to your install CD.
Can't even get there. Tried countless times.
ahab wrote:If it still doesn't successfully boot then it's not your hard disc and likely the laptop itself.


Ehhh... Crap.

Any 2nd opinions? ;)

Thanks for the reply.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

If the machine won't even POST (power on self test) then the laptop is probably toast. For reference, POST is the part with the splash screen/memory count when you first turn it on, before you get the Windows loading screen. POST typically completes with a beep to indicate everything passed or a beep code consisting of long/short beeps to indicate a problem.

Good news? The data on the hard drive is most likely intact. Bad news? You might need a new laptop.

One thing to try is to remove the battery, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then put the battery back in and try booting it again. This is the laptop equivalent of a hard reset.

Jeremy
bojangles
Posts: 1566
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: London, Ontario

Post by bojangles »

does anything appear on the screen?
If the hard drive has failed, there usually is a very obvious message on the screen.

does the hard drive light flash as it boots?

Laptops are not as hard to repair as you might think... you just need parts.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

I bought this thing 9 days shy of 2 years ago.

:evil:

On the phone with someone from Dell taking 59 bucks from me to tell me my laptop is FUBAR, probably.

Good thing is, I've been pretty good lately about backing up to an external HD.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

bojangles wrote:does anything appear on the screen?
No.
bojangles wrote:If the hard drive has failed, there usually is a very obvious message on the screen.


Nada.
bojangles wrote:does the hard drive light flash as it boots?
It lights for 1 second, flashes, lights for 1 more second, and goes out forever.
bojangles wrote:Laptops are not as hard to repair as you might think... you just need parts.
Sounds good.

Thanks
nnarth212
Posts: 1953
Joined: Aug 10, 2009
Location: San Francisco

Re: How to ID hard drive failure.

Post by nnarth212 »

booker wrote:My computer (Dell XPS laptop with win XP Pro) shit the bed yesterday. It will not boot.
Thoughts-- always buy cheap because laptops grenade all the time. No matter the make or use.

Defying all odds-- I am typing at a $1200 toshiba unit 5 years old with all original hardware. Not a dead pixel or failed HDD. Granted it hasn't left my desk for 4 of those 5 years... and the battery failed in the first year...

DO not spend good money after bad. Beyond a google search for common failures for your model number-- it's usually a lost cause. That said-- many notebooks can be repaired for nothing in the hands of those who know. But it takes experience and most precious of all, time. Jeremy's onto it, if it won't post you have a hardware fault (didja drop it, internals come loose?) They don't commonly fail without provocation (dropping, water, animals, toddlers....).
Last edited by nnarth212 on May 02, 2011 7:57 PM, edited 2 times in total.
Neil22
Posts: 548
Joined: Sep 30, 2010
Location: Virginia

Post by Neil22 »

If the laptop doesn't POST try removing one stick of memory (if there's 2) if it doesn't POST again swap it to open memory slot and try again. If not try swapping in a known good memory stick from another machine. Could even be somehow a stick of memory became loose tho there's a slim chance that's the case.
Avec
Posts: 319
Joined: Feb 17, 2010
Location: Indianapolis

Post by Avec »

I would say that based on this, your hard drive is not bad, but your motherboard is. The good news is for about $7 you can get an adapter to plug that HD into a computer to get all of your data. You may be able to get a new motherboard, but unless you are going to rebuild yourself, you may end up paying more than if you just buy a new one.
nnarth212
Posts: 1953
Joined: Aug 10, 2009
Location: San Francisco

Post by nnarth212 »

Neil22 wrote:....Could even be somehow a stick of memory became loose tho there's a slim chance that's the case.
Re-seating RAM is never a bad measure.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Thanks, guyys.

Dell just got finished telling me it's either the RAM or the motherboard. I'm on hold right now waiting to hear how much they want for the parts.

Yesterday when this happened, and I realized it was bad, I thought to myself: "I'm never going to buy another expensive laptop again." My last, a Toshiba (great machine) was stolen. Now this.

Ah well...

:comp:
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Two words when it comes to laptops: American Express.

American Express will honor the original warranty terms (even extended ones AFAIK) for double the original time. 1 year warranty becomes 2 years, 2 years becomes 4 years. You have to go through AmEx after the original warranty is up, but it's not a terrible process. Well worth it IMHO. Pick a card with no annual fees and buy any and all expensive electronics using it.

Jeremy
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

Good luck. I've switched to the Mac and never been happier. Although hardware failures are still possible with the Mac platform I spend more time doing the work I need to do and far less trying to get the computer to run the program I need to use.

Also- I bought a MacBook Pro 5+ years ago and its been great. I did buy the overpriced Apple Protection Plan and the screen went out on me at around 2 years but the Apple store had it shipped out and repaired within 48 hours. I didn't buy the plan on my MacPro but I can replace most of the stuff in that computer myself if it breaks.

I am, however, reminded by this thread that I may need to buy a cheap PC laptop because one internet based program I may be using more often is only compatible with Internet Explorer. :facepalm:

Good luck with getting your computer fixed.
wkohler
Posts: 50939
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

I'd rather have the computer itself die than the hard drive.
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

wkohler wrote:I'd rather have the computer itself die than the hard drive.
I always preach RAID 5. I don't follow my own advice though but do back stuff up to multiple disks.
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Are you sure the discoteca isn't just closed for repair???
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

wkohler wrote:I'd rather have the computer itself die than the hard drive.
Tell me more, please.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Kyle in NO wrote:Are you sure the discoteca isn't just closed for repair???
Probably, yeah.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

booker wrote:
wkohler wrote:I'd rather have the computer itself die than the hard drive.
Tell me more, please.
At the moment, odds are very high that all your data is easily and inexpensively recoverable. Put the hard drive in a different computer, and boom, there it is. If the hard drive fails, chances of data recovery are slim without professional assistance, which is VERY costly.

Jeremy
Mike W.
Posts: 27989
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

booker wrote:
wkohler wrote:I'd rather have the computer itself die than the hard drive.
Tell me more, please.
I suspect he means it's easier to access your data if the HD still works, even if it's not in that box. Although if it's all backed up, a HD is a snap and not expensive.

Regarding the longevity of laptops, my Toshiba is 6 years old now and running like a charm. Yeah, it's a little slow, I don't use it an awful lot, but it does go on trips whenever I do so does some traveling and gets banged around some. And it was a cheapie, $400 after rebate.
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Jeremy wrote:
booker wrote:
wkohler wrote:I'd rather have the computer itself die than the hard drive.
Tell me more, please.
At the moment, odds are very high that all your data is easily and inexpensively recoverable. Put the hard drive in a different computer, and boom, there it is. If the hard drive fails, chances of data recovery are slim without professional assistance, which is VERY costly.

Jeremy
That would be great if it were a problem, but I have been backing my hard driove up pretty frequently. The only thing to change since my last back up is bullshit.

I'm more interested in hardware cost/replacement. Especially the replacement part. A quick google search reports pretty cheap motherboard costs. 200-400 at first glance. I'm just not sure if I can take the thing apart and replace it successfully.
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

Have you tried one of these?


Image
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Post by ahab »

rmiddendorf wrote:I spend more time doing the work I need to do and far less trying to get the computer to run the program I need to use.
:puke:
booker
Posts: 4354
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: New Orleans

Post by booker »

Kyle in NO wrote:Have you tried one of these?
Pfft... Hater.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Laptop work tends to be lots of work with small connections and attachments. Lots of small screws. Very doable, but not for the faint of heart.
Mike W.
Posts: 27989
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Damn, you got me looking when you posted the price, laptop parts are expensive! I just picked up a new, larger, HD for mine and it wasn't too bad, but most of the rest of the stuff :shock:
Post Reply