Late Style Theromostat Install Question

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
mercury26
Posts: 1068
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
Location: Westminster, CO

Late Style Theromostat Install Question

Post by mercury26 »

I am installing my "new" rebuilt cylinder head and installing a new water outlet/thermostat housing (Stamped w/ "A"). I understand that I do not need the paper gasket, but just the new thermostat and rubber o-ring. When I put the thermostat in, it needs to be pushed in to get the o-ring in the recessed area. It seems to be quite the trick to get the thermostat pushed in, the o-ring positioned and get the housing on. Is it supposed to be pushed in? Or should it just sit in there? I want to make sure that I have the correct model thermostat. I was thinking of using some of the brown tacky Permatex brush on gasket maker to hold on the o-ring. Would someone be able to confirm if I need to push in the thermostat?

Thanks,

Chuck
Post Reply