Page 1 of 1

Question on E34 sport seats...

Posted: Oct 19, 2008 11:13 PM
by Kyle in NO
Does anyone know if they can be made to flip forward like E24 sport seats? I would think they can, being that the same E34 style seat was available in the 1989 E24 Highline, as seen here:

Image

There is a set in an E34 540i here in town, and I would like to put them in the 635csi. People have said that the E28 sports can be made to flip forward, you just need to attach the release hardware too actuate the mechanism....

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 12:33 AM
by wkohler
Looking at the ETK's exploded diagrams for the E34 electric sport seat, I'm not seeing anything. Of course, you'll find out once you take the back off and take a look around, eh? I'm just not seeing any place on the seat frame to allow the release lever to pass through.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 10:50 AM
by alpinacsi
Have you found a way to mount the seats? I think I have seen a description on how to modify them to fit the e28 so the e24 should be the same. The e34 seats hook in the front and are bolted to the floor at the rear so they only have 2 bolts securing each seat.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 12:03 PM
by Justin_FL
I dunno Kyle, but those seats look just like E28/E24 design sport seats with the newer style upholstery pattern as seen on the M6s. That must be one of the final production run E24s for the UK market, which had the electric controls on the seats instead of the e-brake console--- at least that is my memory from a post on Big Coupe.

I'd be concerned about whether E34 seats will sit low enough from a headroom standpoint, though anything has to be an improvement from the awful comfort seats the coupes were inflicted with. I like the comforts in the E28s but they do not work in an E24.

Posted: Oct 20, 2008 1:20 PM
by wkohler
alpinacsi wrote:Have you found a way to mount the seats? I think I have seen a description on how to modify them to fit the e28 so the e24 should be the same. The e34 seats hook in the front and are bolted to the floor at the rear so they only have 2 bolts securing each seat.
You would just drill out the rivets holding the hook in place and enlarge the hole that lines up with the floor. Should be the same as the E28 method.