Final Drive Oil Seals...
Posted: Aug 05, 2008 9:06 PM
A couple of questions as the Bentley doesn't quite give you the newb step by step with colorful pictures.
I discovered a small puddle of oil below my diff this afternoon. It appears to be coming from the driver-side of the diff where the drive axle attaches. I assume that's it due to a faulty final drive oil seal. The Bentley doesn't give me a part number for the replacement seal. So I began to search some of the online parts sources before I give Haygood a call.
Is a "differential output seal" the same as a "final drive oil seal" as described in the Bentley (Don't roll your eyes, I'm still very new to this)? Check out this part: 33 13 1 214 100 on Bavauto.
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
You will have to cut and paste the part number into Bavauto's website as you cannot link to the specific page.
The Bentley instructs to install a new snap ring. Should I get new drive axle bolts or is it ok to reuse the old ones?
I did a search and it seems these are a hex bolts with 6 or 7 mm heads, does anyone know for sure? Again the Bentley does not address the size.
Lastly, is there anything I should address while I'm under there (the diff mount was addressed by the PO)? I will also drain and refill the diff as well.
Thanks a bunch for the help.
I discovered a small puddle of oil below my diff this afternoon. It appears to be coming from the driver-side of the diff where the drive axle attaches. I assume that's it due to a faulty final drive oil seal. The Bentley doesn't give me a part number for the replacement seal. So I began to search some of the online parts sources before I give Haygood a call.
Is a "differential output seal" the same as a "final drive oil seal" as described in the Bentley (Don't roll your eyes, I'm still very new to this)? Check out this part: 33 13 1 214 100 on Bavauto.
http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp
You will have to cut and paste the part number into Bavauto's website as you cannot link to the specific page.
The Bentley instructs to install a new snap ring. Should I get new drive axle bolts or is it ok to reuse the old ones?
I did a search and it seems these are a hex bolts with 6 or 7 mm heads, does anyone know for sure? Again the Bentley does not address the size.
Lastly, is there anything I should address while I'm under there (the diff mount was addressed by the PO)? I will also drain and refill the diff as well.
Thanks a bunch for the help.