Page 1 of 1

Waking up a tired 535i

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 1:13 AM
by Al Canuck
Since acquiring my latest E28 a little over a month ago, it's bled me dry of time, and eaten a few pennies as well. I pay wholesale for parts, and have a fully equipped shop at my disposal, but still, this thing has been a maintenance and repair monster so far. With 480k km, and sitting under a tree for 2 years, I did expect it, so I'm not too bothered.

This list of repairs so far;

Rear main seal
Clutch
Trans(swapped in a 265)
Rebuilt shifter
Reman driveshaft
4 wheel brakes
Partial tuneup(plugs and valve adjust)
Control arms
Wheels and tires
Various electrical bugs
Clutch master
Clutch slave
All fluids changed(except coolant)
Swaybar links
Tail light gaskets
Strut housing

Thats all in the last month. Until yesterday, it still needs/needed

Complete exhaust
Subframe mounts
Centre bearing(newer reman shaft I installed had a bad bearing)
Pitman arms
Various other things

Anyway, last night, after work, I hoisted it up, and dropped the driveshaft, diff, CV's, and exhaust. Kevin helped me until the wee hours, and we got all the new bits in. All I can say is WOW!

Stebro exhaust with Euro downpipes(no cat)
3.73LSD
New CV's

Holy crap, between the 3.73LSD, and ditching the melted down cat, and rotten stock exhaust, this thing came ALIVE! Revs easily to redline with a good exhaust, and pulls HARD at every gear change. I am happy again, and glad to be back in an E28.

Next week is subframe mounts, pitman arms, mono valve, couple houses, thermostat, waterpump, cap, rotor, and perhaps I'll install the 750il front brakes I've got.

It never ends, does it? But soooo much fun.

Al

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 1:43 AM
by wkohler
That whole list is stuff I did to my 533 - except exhaust which was the next thing. Ahhh, memories - since that's all that's left.

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 1:57 AM
by skip535i
STEBRO exhaust? Is that the exhaust that is going for like $2k on ebay all the time?

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 1:58 AM
by wkohler
skip535i wrote:STEBRO exhaust? Is that the exhaust that is going for like $2k on ebay all the time?
Yeah, but if you offer less than half that, they usually take it. That's my understanding.

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 2:02 AM
by skip535i
wkohler wrote:
skip535i wrote:STEBRO exhaust? Is that the exhaust that is going for like $2k on ebay all the time?
Yeah, but if you offer less than half that, they usually take it. That's my understanding.
cool...it looks like a sweet exhaust but I've always blown it off becuase of price

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 2:04 AM
by wkohler
And I always blew it off because I would have to put a kat on it, which prevents use of the resonator.

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 2:23 AM
by Al Canuck
This is my third Stebro, first 2 were on watercooled VW's back in the day. I bought mine used from a customer at the shop, who said it was too loud. They're beautiful systems, all stainless, with a great industrial look to them, and an amazing sound. Tips are subtle, but high quality, and the system lines up like OEM.

It IS loud, but not as loud as the rotten Eberspacher I took off the car! Pretty boomy at idle, so I actually turned the car off in a drive thru window today. Cruising speed it's fine, and on throttle? Well, lets just say my gas mileage will be taking a sharp decline for a while!

Al

Posted: Jul 01, 2007 7:03 PM
by go4carter
Oh, giggity... I can't wait to take 'er for a spin with the new diff and the free-flow exhaust.
Al hasn't mentioned the car is a bit of a looker too... great paint.

Posted: Jul 10, 2007 12:18 AM
by Nebraska_e28
Al Canuck wrote:This is my third Stebro, first 2 were on watercooled VW's back in the day. I bought mine used from a customer at the shop, who said it was too loud. They're beautiful systems, all stainless, with a great industrial look to them, and an amazing sound. Tips are subtle, but high quality, and the system lines up like OEM.

It IS loud, but not as loud as the rotten Eberspacher I took off the car! Pretty boomy at idle, so I actually turned the car off in a drive thru window today. Cruising speed it's fine, and on throttle? Well, lets just say my gas mileage will be taking a sharp decline for a while!

Al
Is this as loud or louder than a B&B tri-flow w/o a resonator, or can you compare? Does the Stebro have a resonator & hows the weight? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated since I've been tossing this idea around for a while now.

Cheers,

LJ

Posted: Jul 10, 2007 12:57 AM
by Al Canuck
Its been years since I heard a B&B, and it was on an M6. If my memory is ok, I can say without a doubt, the Stebro is LOUDER! I know 3 people who removed them, because of noise.

I'll put it to you this way. When I'm sitting in a drive through lineup, at the window, I usually shut my car off, before it scrambles my brain! LOUD at idle, and LOUDER at WOT. Cruising speed it's quiet as stock.

It has a resonator, as well as muffler. Both stainless, and very industrial looking, SOLID pieces. Pipes are much larger than stock, although I havn't measured them. Weight? About the same, if not lighter than a Bosal.

Al

Posted: Jul 10, 2007 1:51 AM
by Nebraska_e28
Thank you Sir! Now I just wish I was tad bit closer to sample it.