Page 1 of 1

New South Wales - Youth Speeding Campaign (video)

Posted: Jun 25, 2007 11:53 PM
by Tim in N FL
Saw this posted up on the Senior Six Registry (SSR) list today...
Now this ad campaign may actually be effective. Nice work Aussies! Seen this one Azure, Aussie Bastard, & DRP535?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety/ad ... fid=pinkie

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 12:15 AM
by DMNaskale
I don't know if it will be effective, I saw it and I don't think it would have had any effect on me when I was in the target audience of young leadfoots.

I wonder how much that video cost to produce and distribute?

I think that money would be better spent teaching kids how to drive for real.

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 12:40 AM
by skip535i
that's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen...bold effort though I guess.

Seriously though, the s in the first peel out look like they just like being looked at. The woman crossing the street looks like she just wants a reason to be ed off and the grandma looks like she's done the little pinky wavey thingy a LOT. And finally what guy does a drift in his POS car unless he KNOWS the guys he's driving around are gonna think it's hillarious? It's sad that in an effort to make an "anti" something video they instead just wasted $$ accomplishing nothing.

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 12:45 AM
by wkohler
Believe it or not, I would disagree with the previous two posters. It was simple and to the point. It had a few attractive women (like Ms. Park Bench) and showed some pretty neat stuff in slo-mo.

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 1:12 AM
by Mr. E28
"Dude..your totally doing 35 in a 25...you're the man!" 8)

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 1:35 AM
by DRP535
Finally! An ad campaign aimed directly at me! ;-) About bloody time! :laugh:

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 2:36 AM
by skip535i
wkohler wrote:It had a few attractive women (like Ms. Park Bench)
skip535i wrote:An old grandma, huh? hmmmm.... :dunno: I guess that tells me a lot about you
ALSO sarcasm ;)

Im just still bitter about your comment regarding the 528i :laugh:

Posted: Jun 26, 2007 2:55 AM
by wkohler
skip535i wrote:
wkohler wrote:It had a few attractive women (like Ms. Park Bench)
An old grandma, huh? hmmmm.... :dunno: I guess that tells me a lot about you
Sarcasm.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 12:37 AM
by aussiebastard
Tim
OK, I reckon that's a great ad
BBC News this morning in Zurich featured the ad in which the female presenter explained that the ad insinuated that guys driving recklessly have "...ahem...small wedding tackle"

Also at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6240288.stm

Not to steal the thread but this si also a great Aussie ad
http://www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com/tvc/index.html#

Click on "View the Ad"

Need to back there that's for bloody sure

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:33 AM
by Azure
I work in retail with a bunch of 18-23 year olds, and I can tell you, what shows up in popular media and advertisements shows up in every day conversation/humor when I'm working/hanging out with them. This is the sort of ad that run long enough has the potential to build a culture, which may then have an impact.

Of course, we used to use a different motion around guys that speed/burn out, similar idea though! :D

Saying that it's going to be absolutely ineffective IMO is very short sighted.

What I love is the diversity of cars in that ad - you just don't see 80, or even 90s era cars depicted in US ads.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:34 AM
by Azure
aussiebastard wrote: Need to (get?) back there that's for bloody sure
Tell me about it mate.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 10:42 AM
by Azure
skip535i wrote:that's possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen...bold effort though I guess.
I think you're forgetting it's designed for a Holden owner in Queensland, not a Bimmer driver in Virginia. Same language, sure, but very much different demographics.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 12:10 PM
by Mr. E28
Azure wrote:
What I love is the diversity of cars in that ad - you just don't see 80, or even 90s era cars depicted in US ads.
These days parents just go straight to the dealer with their kids. Gone are the days when they would buy their new driver a heap, pile, piece of crap, rust bucket, or accident waiting to happen to instill humility and responsibility.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 12:46 PM
by Tammer in Philly
Mr. E28 wrote:
Azure wrote:
What I love is the diversity of cars in that ad - you just don't see 80, or even 90s era cars depicted in US ads.
These days parents just go straight to the dealer with their kids. Gone are the days when they would buy their new driver a heap, pile, piece of crap, rust bucket, or accident waiting to happen to instill humility and responsibility.
While you're right for the most part, I think there are plenty of kids here who represent the other demographic--they work for and maintain their own rides. I was lucky to get a hand-me-down car from the parents. They paid insurance and I maintained it through high school. It was a rockin', awesome, super-fast 4-cylinder 1987 Toyota Camry. the h0tness!1!! At least it was a manual shift, and I loved that car: it was my entire social life on four wheels. And it was so slow that, despite my best 17-year-old idiotic moments (e.g., coming home from a party on a deserted country road at 3 a.m., pedal firewalled, planning on sneaking into the house) it wasn't all that dangerous. Even on that deserted country road I think it topped out at 105 mph with a tailwind. :-) I think that car's lack of power is probably why I'm alive ....

-tammer

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 2:23 PM
by wkohler
Tammer in Philly wrote:
Mr. E28 wrote:
Azure wrote:
What I love is the diversity of cars in that ad - you just don't see 80, or even 90s era cars depicted in US ads.
These days parents just go straight to the dealer with their kids. Gone are the days when they would buy their new driver a heap, pile, piece of crap, rust bucket, or accident waiting to happen to instill humility and responsibility.
While you're right for the most part, I think there are plenty of kids here who represent the other demographic--they work for and maintain their own rides. I was lucky to get a hand-me-down car from the parents. They paid insurance and I maintained it through high school. It was a rockin', awesome, super-fast 4-cylinder 1987 Toyota Camry. the h0tness!1!! At least it was a manual shift, and I loved that car: it was my entire social life on four wheels. And it was so slow that, despite my best 17-year-old idiotic moments (e.g., coming home from a party on a deserted country road at 3 a.m., pedal firewalled, planning on sneaking into the house) it wasn't all that dangerous. Even on that deserted country road I think it topped out at 105 mph with a tailwind. :-) I think that car's lack of power is probably why I'm alive ....

-tammer
I got to work out all the bad teenage driving in a Volvo wagon - probably weighs twice as much as your Camry did, roughly the same power and an auto! I still have that car. Bought it on my own and would say I probably have 3 times the purchase price in it in repairs and suspension upgrades.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 4:42 PM
by aussiebastard
Azure wrote:
aussiebastard wrote: Need to (get?) back there that's for bloody sure
Tell me about it mate.
Hey Uluru,
Don't be pokin no fun at no Holden owners mate
I got a picture of me with me 179 EH (lowered with widies) from 1970 that will have you making a correlation between design efforts at Fisherman's Bend and a certain ceiling decorator that had residence in Florence (not SC) around 1508 - 1512

Here's one similar -
http://www.ejehclubqld.com/ehclub/images/gallery/21.jpg
Let me know where you are in FL (Tampa) - we can cry in our beer about the Oz thing some time

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 6:17 PM
by lkfoster
aussiebastard wrote:
Azure wrote:
aussiebastard wrote: Need to (get?) back there that's for bloody sure
Tell me about it mate.
Hey Uluru,
Don't be pokin no fun at no Holden owners mate
I got a picture of me with me 179 EH (lowered with widies) from 1970 that will have you making a correlation between design efforts at Fisherman's Bend and a certain ceiling decorator that had residence in Florence (not SC) around 1508 - 1512

Here's one similar -
http://www.ejehclubqld.com/ehclub/images/gallery/21.jpg
Let me know where you are in FL (Tampa) - we can cry in our beer about the Oz thing some time
Apparently around 50% of the 2,000 cars confiscated recently across Australia for excessive speed and hot-rodding, hooning in the local dialect, were Holdens. No mention of why.

Nor of any older BMWs in Perth. ;)

On a somewhat OT note, Ireland ran a car safety TV ad around 4 years ago trying to get people to put their seat belts on in the back seat. For the example of what happens in an accident they used an e28. No hotties on park benches that I recall.

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 9:27 PM
by aussiebastard
G'day lkfoster
You working on Gippsland Water?
I come from Maffra, just 30 minutes further up the Princes Highway from Traralgon
You got some rain today?
Peter Commerford

Posted: Jun 27, 2007 9:51 PM
by lkfoster
aussiebastard wrote:G'day lkfoster
You working on Gippsland Water?
I come from Maffra, just 30 minutes further up the Princes Highway from Traralgon
You got some rain today?
Peter Commerford
Yep, the new Gippsland Water Factory project.

And yes, it did rain a bit yesterday. It didn't seem like much, but the park next to the apartment was half covered in water. But at least we didn't get it as bad as the Hunter Valley a few weeks ago.

So much for the draught.

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 6:51 PM
by Azure
aussiebastard wrote:
Azure wrote:
aussiebastard wrote: Need to (get?) back there that's for bloody sure
Tell me about it mate.
Hey Uluru,
Don't be pokin no fun at no Holden owners mate
I got a picture of me with me 179 EH (lowered with widies) from 1970 that will have you making a correlation between design efforts at Fisherman's Bend and a certain ceiling decorator that had residence in Florence (not SC) around 1508 - 1512

Here's one similar -
http://www.ejehclubqld.com/ehclub/images/gallery/21.jpg
Let me know where you are in FL (Tampa) - we can cry in our beer about the Oz thing some time
Holiday, FL mate. Sounds like a plan! :D

Posted: Jun 28, 2007 8:59 PM
by coopa.s
Saw this ad on the telly the other night. I find it funny that the the hoons ripping up skids are in a commo and the guy ripping a burnout is in an xr6. It depicts the typical bogan holden/ford driver, who think aussie cars are the shiznit and they can pick up any chicky babe they want when driving around on interceptors while ripping one wheel burnouts.

It's funny, because the only people I see around my area doing stupid stuff drive old commonwhores or falcadores.

I also like that the ad only depicted white Australian males, for fear if they had a man of middle eastern appearance in a wrx or soooooooprraaaaaa they would be accused of racism.

Posted: Jul 02, 2007 12:07 AM
by DRP535
lkfoster wrote:Apparently around 50% of the 2,000 cars confiscated recently across Australia for excessive speed and hot-rodding, hooning in the local dialect, were Holdens. No mention of why.

Nor of any older BMWs in Perth. ;)
Hey! Was that a reference to me?!?! ;) Commodores are still the hoon car of choice down here no question. Every night while watching the news and seeing the latest fatal youth road crash, 9 times out of 10, the car is a Holden Commodore.

I guess it's to do with cheap, slushbox, rear drive V8s. That's what the Holden Commodore delivers in spades, so that's what they go for. Fortunately for me, no-one would be interested in an old BMW. Too hard. The engine doesn't have buckets of effortless torque and it has a manual gearbox, so you actually have to think about what you're doing when driving to do the burnouts. Too hard when you're pissed and hashed off your nut.

Posted: Jul 02, 2007 12:37 AM
by lkfoster
DRP535 wrote:Fortunately for me, no-one would be interested in an old BMW. Too hard. The engine doesn't have buckets of effortless torque and it has a manual gearbox, so you actually have to think about what you're doing when driving to do the burnouts. Too hard when you're pissed and hashed off your nut.
The last time I tried a burnout with the M5 all I got was the rear suspension jumping up and down. :(

Off course I'm much more mature now and would never consider doing such a thing. Especially with the 6-cylinder Holden Crewman that they give me to drive.

Posted: Jul 02, 2007 1:07 AM
by DRP535
lkfoster wrote:The last time I tried a burnout with the M5 all I got was the rear suspension jumping up and down. :(
Yep, same here with the M535i. Axle tramp in 1st gone by second though and that with all new rear suspension bits and pieces. They need tramp bars for that kind of silliness, or... as you say just do it with the company car!! :laugh:

Posted: Jul 03, 2007 10:38 PM
by lkfoster
Apparently it's gone international.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19569900/site/newsweek/

I guess the lesson here is that Holden drivers have small members as the article was titled "Fast cars, small penises and Australian men". Or was it just Australian men in general? :? ;)