To Paint or To Correct?
Posted: Apr 20, 2013 7:17 PM
I recently sent my hood and front fenders in for paint (1 stage black for 88 M5) and hesitated if I should just go ahead and get the whole car painted.
I decided not get the whole car painted, but instead to try the DIY route and "correct" the original paint as best as possible.
Here's the list of tools I am using...this is also the order in which I am using them:
- Clay Bar kit with detailing spray
- Dr. Colorchip touchup paint
- Meguiars #7 1st application by hand
- Meguiars DA Power System (attaches to your drill)
- Meguiars DA pad with Ultimate Compound
- Meguiars DA pad with Ultimate Polish
- Meguiars #7 2nd application by hand
- Finish with a good quality wax that suits your needs (I will be using 3M Performance Finish because I have a bunch of leftover samples)
So far I have completed the touch up paint and the polishing/waxing on the trunk and spoiler (be sure to use masking tape in areas not too be polished).
The results turned out great! I can't speak highly enough about the DA Power System attachment. I'm no expert at polishing, and have never used a rotary or DA polisher before, but this thing was easy to use and I didn't feel like I was going to burn through the paint at any time.
This was a really helfpul aritcle for single stage paint restoration:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how ... aints.html
The PDR work will be getting subbed out after the paint is corrected and the fenders/hood are re-installed. Pics to follow...
I decided not get the whole car painted, but instead to try the DIY route and "correct" the original paint as best as possible.
Here's the list of tools I am using...this is also the order in which I am using them:
- Clay Bar kit with detailing spray
- Dr. Colorchip touchup paint
- Meguiars #7 1st application by hand
- Meguiars DA Power System (attaches to your drill)
- Meguiars DA pad with Ultimate Compound
- Meguiars DA pad with Ultimate Polish
- Meguiars #7 2nd application by hand
- Finish with a good quality wax that suits your needs (I will be using 3M Performance Finish because I have a bunch of leftover samples)
So far I have completed the touch up paint and the polishing/waxing on the trunk and spoiler (be sure to use masking tape in areas not too be polished).
The results turned out great! I can't speak highly enough about the DA Power System attachment. I'm no expert at polishing, and have never used a rotary or DA polisher before, but this thing was easy to use and I didn't feel like I was going to burn through the paint at any time.
This was a really helfpul aritcle for single stage paint restoration:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how ... aints.html
The PDR work will be getting subbed out after the paint is corrected and the fenders/hood are re-installed. Pics to follow...