Page 1 of 1
Steering fluid leaking while pressed brake
Posted: Aug 25, 2012 12:04 PM
by dacca
Hi,
I was bleeding the clutch system the other day with battery disconnected, pressed the brake pedal by mistake and ton of steering fluid overflowing from the steering fluid reservoir. Please help.
1988 e28 535is
thanks
Posted: Aug 25, 2012 12:18 PM
by m535is
This means the system was overfilled. When filling the power steering system you first must press the brake pedal until the pedal is hard and will barely depress, if at all. Then you fill it up to about 10mm short of the top of the canister. I would suggest removing some oil from the system and making sure the level is set right or you will be cleaning it out of the engine bay for months.
Posted: Aug 25, 2012 12:57 PM
by mooseheadm5
m535is wrote:This means the system was overfilled. When filling the power steering system you first must press the brake pedal until the pedal is hard and will barely depress, if at all. Then you fill it up to about 10mm short of the top of the canister. I would suggest removing some oil from the system and making sure the level is set right or you will be cleaning it out of the engine bay for months.
I can't believe how often this simple issue comes up.
Posted: Aug 25, 2012 3:43 PM
by Xenocide
Hydroboost, not even once

Posted: Aug 27, 2012 1:15 PM
by dacca
m535is wrote:This means the system was overfilled. When filling the power steering system you first must press the brake pedal until the pedal is hard and will barely depress, if at all. Then you fill it up to about 10mm short of the top of the canister. I would suggest removing some oil from the system and making sure the level is set right or you will be cleaning it out of the engine bay for months.
Thanks a lot.