Got into an accident. Front turn signals no longer work.

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
Post Reply
Adrnshw6
Posts: 9
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
Location: Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Got into an accident. Front turn signals no longer work.

Post by Adrnshw6 »

So, a couple months ago I got into a car accident with my 535i. I was driving down a street and a car pulled out of their driveway a few yards ahead of me and to the right without looking. I swerved into the oncoming lane as best I could, but my front right fender and grill still took damage.

Image

I was determined to be not at fault and the other drivers insurance company provided payments and all that, but as a recent college graduate who hasn't pinned down a job yet I've been holding onto the money instead of getting the body fixed until I have steadier income.

Mechanically everything worked fine after the accident, except for the front turn signals. The back signals work just fine (going double time now), as do the headlights, high-beams, parking lights, brake lights, and windshield wipers.

Do any of you know of what could cause both front turn signals to not function without affecting any other electrical systems? My cars inspection is coming up and I'd like to have this figured out.
Mark 88/M5 Houston
Posts: 8548
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Far North Houston

Post by Mark 88/M5 Houston »

If both are not working I would suspect a broken/open ground connection and/or broken filaments in both lamps due to the jarring during the accident. Do the front parking and marker lamps work?
Motronic
Posts: 1433
Joined: Aug 01, 2010

Post by Motronic »

sounds like you need to replace at least 1 signal lamp. If any lenses are broken that may get you a rejection in MA.
Good to see the front air dam wasn't smashed. Where are you in MA?
waynet1
Posts: 2524
Joined: Jan 10, 2011
Location: Port Charlotte,FL-Newport,RI

Post by waynet1 »

Soooooo, for a couple of months you have been driving around without directionals?? :roll: :evil:
The only reason you are fixing it now is because you have to get inspected?? :facepalm:
It's because of people like you that they have to have such stupid laws.
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

When they blink too fast it is usually because of increased load on the blinker relay. More current heats it up, then it opens up and shuts off until it cools and starts all over again, that's how it works. Just like higher wattage bulbs will cause it to blink faster. I suspect one of the wires in the front is shorted to ground or it could even be just the bulb.

Have you not simply pulled the cover on the corner that got hit and/or felt around behind to see if any wires got pinched?
waynet1
Posts: 2524
Joined: Jan 10, 2011
Location: Port Charlotte,FL-Newport,RI

Post by waynet1 »

tn535i wrote:When they blink too fast it is usually because of increased load on the blinker relay. More current heats it up, then it opens up and shuts off until it cools and starts all over again, that's how it works. Just like higher wattage bulbs will cause it to blink faster. ?
If "that's how it works", Thomas Edison is rolling over in his grave.

“Five percent of the people think;
ten percent of the people think they think;
and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

First, if your going to say I'm wrong then please correct me :?

I may have had it twisted around a little... The minimal current throught the relay and bulb probably closes the contact but the technology had not changed to digital at the the point an e28 was built...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm

So I stand by the idea that the amount of current that flows through the heated part can determine how 'fast' the thing heats up and blinks. If the resistance is meant to include the resistance of the bulbs and one is shorted, or even the dual filiament bulb has both filaments in contact it could flow more current and heat the spring thing up faster.

Edison would agree.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

tn535i wrote:First, if your going to say I'm wrong then please correct me :?

I may have had it twisted around a little... The minimal current throught the relay and bulb probably closes the contact but the technology had not changed to digital at the the point an e28 was built...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turn-signal2.htm

So I stand by the idea that the amount of current that flows through the heated part can determine how 'fast' the thing heats up and blinks. If the resistance is meant to include the resistance of the bulbs and one is shorted, or even the dual filiament bulb has both filaments in contact it could flow more current and heat the spring thing up faster.

Edison would agree.
Well, you are wrong. The turn signal relay in an E28 is electronic AND blinks faster when a bulb is out. Go see for yourself. ;)

Also, "... if your going to say..." should have been "... if you're going to say..."
tn535i
Posts: 5590
Joined: Jul 14, 2006
Location: Middle Tennessee

Post by tn535i »

Happy to be wrong with an explaination :laugh:

My age is showing, it's been a long time since I changed a blinker relay.
Adrnshw6
Posts: 9
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
Location: Bridgewater, Massachusetts

Post by Adrnshw6 »

Thanks for the replies everyone! All fixed up now. Turn out that one of the filaments in the passenger side blinker light had broken off and the the drivers side blinker light had been somewhat dislodged from its connectors.

And I know, it was foolish to drive around without front directionals, even though the driving was minimal. Hopefully I'll be employed soon so I can get the rest of her fixed up properly!

Oh, and I'm in Bridgewater Motronic.
Post Reply