WTB Door/Trunk Lock Set!

Buy, sell, or trade parts.
Post Reply
OldSchool28
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 11, 2012

WTB Door/Trunk Lock Set!

Post by OldSchool28 »

Hey guys I'm new here, bought an E28 about a month ago and I love this car.

Got a small problem though, I can't lock the doors since the last owner snapped the keys in both doors :(...and I can't get into the trunk cause it's locked and have no keys.

So I'm looking for a full lock set so I can replace the ones on the car. Driver side, Passenger side, and Trunk lock.

Please if you have a set with the keys PM me!
Or if you know where to find some for a good price let me know.

Thanks
Nanajoth
Posts: 1554
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: TX

Post by Nanajoth »

How do you drive the car?
DJM1986-5
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Location: Greenville, SC

Post by DJM1986-5 »

You can order a new key from BMW NA for about $35 - $50, depending on what your local dealer wants to charge you. Then, take apart your drivers door lock cylinder and extract the key. Chances are you will find the lockiing lever is broken off the back of the cylinder. Same with the passengers door. I think this is a much easier solution than changing all the locks but having a different one for the ignition....
OldSchool28
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 11, 2012

Post by OldSchool28 »

The new key comes pre-cut to match? How would they know thats what I mean lol.

And the car already has a separate key for the ignition, that's how I drive it haha. I just can't lock it or open the trunk.
jimoreno
Posts: 1662
Joined: Aug 30, 2007
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

Post by jimoreno »

The ordered key comes pre-cut to the locks that were on the car when manufactured. I ordered one for my older 528e and it worked right of the bat.
OldSchool28
Posts: 10
Joined: Jan 11, 2012

Post by OldSchool28 »

jimoreno wrote:The ordered key comes pre-cut to the locks that were on the car when manufactured. I ordered one for my older 528e and it worked right of the bat.
How does the dealership know what cut it is?
VIN?
jimoreno
Posts: 1662
Joined: Aug 30, 2007
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

Post by jimoreno »

Yes
DJM1986-5
Posts: 1720
Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Location: Greenville, SC

Post by DJM1986-5 »

Supply VIN and proof of ownership. I ordered two lighted keys for my 1986 535. $34 each. Yes they work.
Post Reply