Page 4 of 4
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 7:09 PM
by DMNaskale
Rich Euro M5 wrote:How about a rotary sleeve engine that doesn't have the typical valves. The entire cylinder sleeve rotates around the piston. The top of the sleeve has a single port valve.
This technology has been around for a long time and was used in a couple of very high power English aircraft engine designs.
Rich
Well, the outer cylinder has two fixed ports and a single moving inner port that feeds them, I don't really know what that would count as. It is pretty cool, although it works much better as an aircraft engine than it would for an automobile.
I love checking out the old engines at aviation museums, it is fun trying to figure out how they work. The old rotary piston engines are especially cool, where the crank is fixed and the entire crankcase spins. Does anyone make a functional model rotary engine? It would be cool to have a collection of functional model engines of all the unique and antique designs out there.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 3:07 AM
by Marcel in Ca
I must say that thing is probably going to sound insane!
V8 in an e28 sounds like this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJep6m5Uaj0

Posted: Sep 17, 2007 4:29 PM
by wjones
I really wish everyone would go to S14.net to argue E30 M3 swaps. That's done to death over there.
This is the second time I've seen photos of this very swap in a "part" completed state. Hopefully you guys can make this one work. It would be nice to see.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 7:28 PM
by stuartinmn
Yeah, but have you seen the video for Aaron's V8 e28? You should hear this thing inside a parking garage. 8)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8360109789
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 8:04 PM
by Marcel in Ca
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:04 AM
by Bryan in SB
Some points to think about.
1. Not all of us who don't like the BMW to Corvette swap are haters. Rather, we simply stated an opinion, which was in response to a posting on the subject, which invited comments.
2. I and many others, don't have the time or energy to be 'mad' at Beau or anyone else who does any engine swap of whatever kind.
3. I respect that it's Beau's car, and he's more than welcome to do whatever he wants to it. I can't and won't begrudge him his wishes. I may not like it, but I can't fault him for it.
4. There is a difference between swapping a bigger/larger/more powerful BMW motor into a vintage BMW, than swapping an American engine into a vintage BMW, regardless of HP gain.
5. Many of us who don't like the Vette into BMW concept, do like bigger, more powerful BMW power into old BMW's. I can't wait for the day I can put an E34 M5 motor into a CSi, or to put that exact motor into an E30 M3.
6. Being a vintage enthusiast doesn't mean we all like it bone stock. I as well as many others will agree the E30 M3 is anemic compared to today's standards.
7. I applaud those who are willing to take up the engineering challenge, regardless of motor used. Good luck.
8. This Vette powered M3 will rock, I would like to see it, and I hope the build goes as planned.
9. Arguing in a chat room and trading ever increasing derogatory insults on a forum is like pissing in the wind.
10. Please post pics and a soundbite when done!!
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 8:38 AM
by T_C_D
wjones wrote:This is the second time I've seen photos of this very swap in a "part" completed state. Hopefully you guys can make this one work. It would be nice to see.
We actually just started. It's Beau's fall/winter project that he will work on as time allows. I'll only help when requested. I have no doubt that it will be finished. There really isn't an option for failure. Almost all the money has been spent so that will not be an obstacle.
Todd
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 8:38 AM
by T_C_D
Bryan in SB wrote:Some points to think about.
1. Not all of us who don't like the BMW to Corvette swap are haters. Rather, we simply stated an opinion, which was in response to a posting on the subject, which invited comments.
2. I and many others, don't have the time or energy to be 'mad' at Beau or anyone else who does any engine swap of whatever kind.
3. I respect that it's Beau's car, and he's more than welcome to do whatever he wants to it. I can't and won't begrudge him his wishes. I may not like it, but I can't fault him for it.
4. There is a difference between swapping a bigger/larger/more powerful BMW motor into a vintage BMW, than swapping an American engine into a vintage BMW, regardless of HP gain.
5. Many of us who don't like the Vette into BMW concept, do like bigger, more powerful BMW power into old BMW's. I can't wait for the day I can put an E34 M5 motor into a CSi, or to put that exact motor into an E30 M3.
6. Being a vintage enthusiast doesn't mean we all like it bone stock. I as well as many others will agree the E30 M3 is anemic compared to today's standards.
7. I applaud those who are willing to take up the engineering challenge, regardless of motor used. Good luck.
8. This Vette powered M3 will rock, I would like to see it, and I hope the build goes as planned.
9. Arguing in a chat room and trading ever increasing derogatory insults on a forum is like pissing in the wind.
10. Please post pics and a soundbite when done!!
Thanks for the clarification.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:15 PM
by C.J.
When you guys are done with it, you should swap the Roundels for some Bow Ties. Then post some pics of it on S14.net.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 1:18 PM
by T_C_D
theseeker411 wrote:When you guys are done with it, you should swap the Roundels for some Bow Ties. Then post some pics of it on S14.net.
Nah. I cannot wait to get it to the dragstrip. Beau is using it as a DE car.
Todd
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 10:30 PM
by Skeen
*cough* One Lap *cough*
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 4:24 PM
by Damon in STL
Wow....I just read this whole freaking thread in one sitting....
Todd, with me being the owner of two e30 M3s, I must say, I'm terribly disappointed that you are not turbocharging the Z06 motor before installing it in the M3.
To me, it all depends on the intended use of the vehicle. When it finally came out that the car was going to be used for DE's....I had no problem with the swap.
Actually, I guess I'm a little conflicted. I've got a stripped down e30 M3 that is completely gutted, caged, re-suspension-ed, water tight by duct tape, and turned into a track car...car. I've also got an almost stock euro e30 M3 street car that is much more unique than an everyday US e30 M3.
I've shared a friend's carbon fibered 2.5 ltr. Apha-N'd monster motored car with basically my same suspension on track before.....and I know how many $$ went into building it.

If my track car's engine were to blow...I'd go with an M42 turbo. Only because it could then still be raced in BMWCCA club racing. If I were to keep the car in the DE world....I personally would never put the Z06 motor in it.....it would be way to boring. Lapping cars several times per session is just not that much fun. You'd have no one to play with. Lapping some cars already happens now in the 200hp version

I really can't imagine the car on the track with twice the power and this thing called "torque".
My street car is almost stock and it is very unique in the e30 M3 world. So, I'd lean towards keeping it stock. If it was a ratty version that had not been taken care of ....what the heck...throw in the Z06 motor!
Damon in STL
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 9:30 PM
by bmwm3n528
More power to Beau/Todd. You're just helping the nice, original examples continue to soar in value.
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 12:25 AM
by BeauB
It makes me wonder how many original examples are really out there, almost all I have seen have been modified in one way or another. For example my car had the very rare extra foot vent installed a few years ago
Beau
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 5:52 AM
by m-racer
bmwm3n528 wrote:More power to Beau/Todd. You're just helping the nice, original examples continue to soar in value.
Ditto. A low mileage original (white) E30 M3 sold (on S14.net) in 2 days last week for 30K. Mine with 58k miles (upgraded to evo specs) sold for about the same last year. Doesn't much matter what happens to the rags, but the good ones are steadily climbing in value.