True but if you are in for fun you can switch the ring and pinion set. Thats what I run in mine. I put the s3.64 from an e32 into an e28 case. I have at least 100K on it so far.pldlnr wrote:An e24 diff. is not e34 compatible.Manny D. wrote:Also, the 88-89 635csi's with a manual came with a 3.64Greg E34 wrote:I'd at least look under some early E32 735i's at the yard. Realoem shows that up to 09/1988 production, both the auto and manual cars had a 3.64.TSMacNeil wrote:Yes-my limited research shows the autotragics all got the really short gears.mooseheadm5 wrote: Nope, 3.91 then the late ones got 4.10.
What's a fair price for a S3.64 differential?
-
euro635gas
- Posts: 1085
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Oregon
-
Bimmerguy2002
- Posts: 11973
- Joined: Oct 03, 2007
- Location: Lodi, California
-
steve 87 535is
- Posts: 868
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Hamburg, NY
I have two diffs available.
The first is off the car (2/90 735iL auto) it's a 3.91 LSD with the 80mm imput bolt circle and 24 splined CV.
The second is a 3.64 LSD from my 1/88 735i auto. It's currently still on the car and will be until I see if the tranny is really shot. It has the 86mm bolt circle and 25 splined CV.
Any interest in either of these? From your Realoem link for your car, I couldn't determine which CV you have, the 80mm or the 86mm.
As far as e32's go, the earlier diffs had the 86mm bolt circle and a different length shaft to match the different length input flange.
The later ones had the 80mm bolt circle to match. So one would have to either swap input flanges to match the driveshaft or swap driveshafts to match the diff. The CV jounts can't be swapped because one has a 24mm spline and one has a 25mm spline.
The first is off the car (2/90 735iL auto) it's a 3.91 LSD with the 80mm imput bolt circle and 24 splined CV.
The second is a 3.64 LSD from my 1/88 735i auto. It's currently still on the car and will be until I see if the tranny is really shot. It has the 86mm bolt circle and 25 splined CV.
Any interest in either of these? From your Realoem link for your car, I couldn't determine which CV you have, the 80mm or the 86mm.
As far as e32's go, the earlier diffs had the 86mm bolt circle and a different length shaft to match the different length input flange.
The later ones had the 80mm bolt circle to match. So one would have to either swap input flanges to match the driveshaft or swap driveshafts to match the diff. The CV jounts can't be swapped because one has a 24mm spline and one has a 25mm spline.

