Just what is the deal with Minivans?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

This is cool. Unfortunately, probably too cool to be sold in the states.

Image

Image

Image

A Transporter for hard off-road missions, for transporting personnel and materials to the toughest places to reach - it was for these extreme conditions that Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles developed the Transporter Rockton. Building contractors, railway builders, mountain rescue teams, forestry businesses and many others need a vehicle which can be flexibly adapted to their requirements and can still stand up to heavy punishment.

The Rockton was specially conceived for the sometimes extreme demands of these target groups, so it fulfils the high expectations of these customers to transport material even in critical situations, thanks to the best possible traction.

The Rockton is based on the Transporter Kombi but, thanks to its standard all-wheel drive, provides more grip on unsurfaced roads. The permanent four-wheel drive 4MOTION with the fourth-generation Haldex coupling, the standard differential lock on the rear axle, the ride height raised by 30 millimetres and the heavy-duty springs and dampers for a gross vehicle weight rating of 3.2 metric tons moves not only the crew but also the cargo dependably across difficult terrain.

http://newcarupdate.com/car-reviews/201 ... er-rockton

Image

Image

Image
PrionaceGlauca
Posts: 379
Joined: Nov 11, 2010
Location: Vancouver BC

Post by PrionaceGlauca »

Charles Gray wrote:This is cool. Unfortunately, probably too cool to be sold in the states.

Image
Now that's a van I would consider (w/the Protective Package) - especially for the backwoods here.
Dexter
Posts: 737
Joined: Oct 24, 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Post by Dexter »

That's a Minivan I would take.
Rich Euro M5
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: Klein, Texas

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

What's a Minivan? :dunno: I guess I'm lucky, my kids are adults and I didn't have to live through the gyrations of mandated car seats. We did use them, but back when my kids were that age the seats were much more manageable. I suppose the approved cars seat available when my kids were young are probably on the dreaded Go Straight to Jail for Child Endangerment list.

I do have empathy for you young guys. I've noticed my eldest daughter going through the same pains with my 2-1/2 YO grandson.

Rich
Dexter
Posts: 737
Joined: Oct 24, 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

Post by Dexter »

Yeah, dont get me started on car seats. There isn't really any study that shows they have saved any kids lives. A few years ago by my house a modern safe minivan with modern safe car seats killed 4 toddlers and the mom was fine. Driving is simply a risk and there is no avoiding tragedy.

But of course it is a terrible position to be in- fighting AGAINST child safety, so I keep my mouth shut and put the dumb things in my M5 properly and don't think about it!
Post Reply