What do you LOVE about your e28?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

WVe28 wrote:'cuz it looks cool! And e28 people are awesome, so that makes me awesome by association! :banana: :D
:banana:
88e28
Posts: 26
Joined: Jun 26, 2006

Post by 88e28 »

My dads first 87 528e that hes had for 5 years at the time was the car I drove with a drivers permit..seven years later my dad is driving his 4th 528e and I like how cops or thieves don't give me a second look, the visibility, brakes, comfortable ride, and high speed capability.

Fwiw, I drive a 99 clk320 with bilstein sports, lowering springs, and 18" amg wheels. And before it was stolen and stripped, I drove a 93 240sx slammed with aftermarket wheels that I was pulled over for 3 infractions..front plate twice and exhaust.
Last edited by 88e28 on May 29, 2009 5:50 PM, edited 1 time in total.
The Baron
Posts: 620
Joined: Nov 26, 2007
Location: Richmond, VA

Post by The Baron »

I moved to San Diego in 1990 (I was 12), and one of our neighbors had a black E28. Of course, I had no idea what an E28 was at that time, nor up until the time where I decided I wanted to acquire one a few years ago.

I always loved the E28's styling. As so many others have said, it's timeless -- it's aged so much better that almost anything else in that era.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

I used to park cars in 1986 and always enjoyed this dentist's 535is when he came in to dine. Gave it back one evening stinking of white smoke and while wearing a big grin. Bought mine 15yrs later!

:banana:
rwd535
Posts: 53
Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Location: jamaica,ny

Post by rwd535 »

I bought 88 535i in 1990 for 15k with 29k on the clock. It gave me joy and carried my family around for 18 years. I drove it hard and it never complained. Road trips were always fun and the grins were numerous. When it got hit it only took me two weeks to decide that my next car was this car. I found one in San Diego and still after a year of ownership and V@V have yet to take that grin of my face. Will probably get another if this one goes.[/img]
RonW
Posts: 5324
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Long Island, NY

Post by RonW »

bojangles wrote:He would always park with the wheels turned fully one way, and I was facinated on how the wheels would be tilted, as if they were ready to take on a serious corner. No other car that I knew of had the wheels do this.
Mercedes-Benzes did that too, to an extreme degree. At first I wondered why they did that. Then after I thought about it, I wondered why other cars didn't.

As I posted in this very thread last year, I like that it has a full-sized spare tire, a large glovebox, a handy shelf on the dash, good visibility, and the fact that when I open the hood I see actual engine instead of molded plastic.

I also like the way it accelerates out of a highway entrance ramp in third.
vinceg101
Posts: 5132
Joined: Jun 20, 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by vinceg101 »

For me I guess it's always been about the body lines. There's something about that belt line from the front hood, up across the sides and through to the rear. Still gets me.
After driving it and owning it (I bought this one 9 years ago having only test driven one other E28 ever), BMW really did do something right with the balance of power, agility, and sophistication. When it came out it was denigrated as being "dated" and "unsophisticated", but time has proven them wrong. As I have begun to work on this car more and more, I'm really finding that it's relative simplicity remarkable.

I love how I can drive this car into any valet station, private mansion motorcourt, or even back onto a BMW lot and have it hold its' own against anything there. In fact I get so many compliments from valets and comments from people who used to own one, it's almost a daily occurrence.

Did I mention it's built like a Panzer tank? No cheap sheet metal here, just a nice solid (yet nimble) mass.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

That I sold it. :laugh: :laugh:
L_N_Love
Posts: 4106
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Richmond VA

Post by L_N_Love »

Duke wrote:That I sold it. :laugh: :laugh:
That is funny.
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

RonW wrote:
I also like the way it accelerates out of a highway entrance ramp in third.
:alright: Hellz yeah son! :alright:
DRP535
Posts: 3636
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Dullsville, WA, Australia

Post by DRP535 »

The headlights (the proper Euro ones). The larger/smaller styling is gold and the fact the low beams have their own built in 'eyebrows' way before 'eyebrows' on headlights were even thought of as an aftermarket styling accessory. The standard Euro car has probably one of the meanest, most aggressive looking front ends of any car ever... and all years before anyone else even thought of doing it.

In my specific case I also love the dogleg G265/5 gearbox. I just like things that are unusual and set the car apart from everyone else's shitbox... even if it may not be the most practical alternative.
Ted in T.O.
Posts: 3412
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Mississauga,Ontario

Post by Ted in T.O. »

No option's! Crank windows,sunroof,no cruise,no a/c and manual sport seats.Only 218HP with tinted green windows,power locks,antenna,ABS,rear sunshade and a shit load of fun with the new 3:73 diff. :banana: :alright: ;)
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

Image!
Eta power
Posts: 1416
Joined: Mar 25, 2010
Location: Vancouver, WA

Post by Eta power »

God, you are a troll, Duke.
podgorny
Posts: 414
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Post by podgorny »

How hard would it be to implement an "ignore" function into this forum?
greentalks43
Posts: 70
Joined: Aug 07, 2011
Location: Lodi, CA

Post by greentalks43 »

Before my 84 533i I was driving a 92 Civic and it's like the clouds have been lifted and it's clear that this is what a car should strive to achieve. I love it.
yomenendez
Posts: 164
Joined: Jan 23, 2010
Location: Central Florida

what do I love about my e28

Post by yomenendez »

That she has stayed around from the day I brought her home in 1988. What more could a guy ask for :banana:
By the way...1988 BMW 528e Super ETA Schwarz.
Yo
ldsbeaker
Posts: 6134
Joined: Mar 25, 2007
Location: Slicktop City, AZ
Contact:

Post by ldsbeaker »

Getting gas this morning...

Yellow boi-racer Lexus and Yellow Mustang pull up to the pumps outside me. They rev their engines at each other.
They look okay...

I turn back and look at my car before going in the store...

What a beautiful profile!! The euros make it seem MUCH less bulky and I get more of a "shark nose". I have cranked the coilovers down, and the slight forward rake accentuates the body lines. It's just beautiful.
Post Reply