Poll-The first car you bought yourself, not from Mom or Dad?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
BMWgiant
Posts: 5734
Joined: Mar 21, 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Post by BMWgiant »

My first car was a 1984 Volvo 240 Turbo.. I bought it for $100 in 2002 with 400k on the odometer. 5 speed with a little bit of seats left. It had a sunroof which had to be cranked by hand. Rust everywhere, that I thought could be hidden with a magic marker. The turbo is probably the only thing that helped it move. Great car for the price and one that would never die. I sold it after 3 months to my Mom's boyfriend for $500 and he drove it as a daily driver for another year. Even though my sig claims it to of passed, I am sure it is still running somewhere. I wish I had a picture of it, but for some reason I was never too proud of it. :?

After my father passed, I received some money that helped me purchase my first 1988 325is for $2500, which of course got me addicted to the BMW life..
Last edited by BMWgiant on Sep 29, 2006 12:23 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Ted in T.O.
Posts: 3412
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Mississauga,Ontario

Post by Ted in T.O. »

Brand new 1978 Honda Civic 5 speed hatchback just before my wedding to the Hen.The only car i ever got a speeding ticket in so far. :? Go figure with what i have now. :roll:
claylake
Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Gainesville, GA

First car

Post by claylake »

My first was a '65 Corvair Corsa turbo and I was hooked. Still drive a turbo car.
130rapid
Posts: 26
Joined: Jun 08, 2006
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: First car

Post by 130rapid »

claylake wrote:My first was a '65 Corvair Corsa turbo and I was hooked. Still drive a turbo car.
Welcome in Rear-Engine-Club! :banana: :laugh:

At first I bought rear-engined, red Czechoslovakian coupe, Skoda Garde, 02/1983:
Image
Image

She was light (880 kg weight) but rather lazy (42 kw married with long-legged gearing).
Truly 2-door coupe fastback-line, not some fake 3-door hatch with "Coupe" badges.
She had even tacho, front bucket seats and alloy wheels!

Priced +/- 500 $. To high... My affection to her was crazy “hate & love” combination. Red Belle was previous owner’s (Polish McGyver) victim. ;(

But...
Her tiny engine sounded with nice, very specific, deep rumbling through short exhaust (similar to VW Beetle but four-in-line version ;) ).

On the road Garde was surprisingly good in handling, plus light and precise steering, plus powerful brakes (front discs with four-piston callipers!). I discovered her as poorly accelerating, but very comfortable and silent (inside) cruiser, great in 65-75 mph constant beat, with excellent neutral-to-oversteer behaviour in fast curves.

Some West European motor journals described this model as “Porsche 911 for poor men” ;) ;) ;)

My first-love car..... :roll: :roll: :D

She’s still with me! :D :D :D
Waiting for restoring. 8)
stoph99
Posts: 379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand

Post by stoph99 »

1974 BMW 2002tii purchased in 1986 for $3K. Drove it for a couple of years, loved every minute.
Lear Jet
Posts: 112
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: PA

Post by Lear Jet »

1970 Chevelle Malibu. Wish I never sold it :cry:
mkarkos
Posts: 385
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Foster, RI

Post by mkarkos »

Here's a pic of my 73 Opel Manta taken about ten years ago. It had been sitting at my freinds farm since 1987. In the background is my Daimler Sp250 which still awaits restoration.

http://e28-535i.com/upload/scan.jpg
PixMan
Posts: 380
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Spencer MA USA

Post by PixMan »

B9 wrote:My first transport wasn't a car. It was a Triumph 650 Bonneville and I drove it for three years before I put it under a city bus in a snow storm. I have fond memories of that bike. And then there are the other memories which include four weeks in the hospital, three knee operations, and is the reason I limp to this day. My first real car was a 73 2002tii which I bought in 75. Have had at least one 2002 ever since.
Cool. My first car I bought was also a Bonneville! Mine was a '73 750. And how I loved that one too. I also got caught in a snowstorm one day when I took it to school. Never thought we'd get 10" of snow on May 10th!

I did get a car 3 months later, that was a '66 Chevy Impala 2 door hardtop, 230cu. in. Six. Cost me $125 cash in 1977.

I dropped a 283 V8 from a '64 Impala Super Sport, and promptly toasted the motor. Ah, the memories of slaving on that car for a week in a backyard during a February school vacation snowstorm.
Norcalmafia
Posts: 25
Joined: Aug 09, 2007
Location: Petaluma

92 RS

Post by Norcalmafia »

My first car was a 92 RS Camaro that I bought from my cousin for 1200. The paint was having problems staying adhered to the primer, so if you drove over 60 the paint would literally fly off the car LOL But luckily enough I was in an auto collision body repair class in high school, so I fixed all the dings and dents on the car, and rattle can primered the whole thing grey. Fast car too, had a 305 in it. With the saggy headliner, and grey paint job, it was named "the cloud" Needed something with better gas mileage, so I bought a bright yellow 1976 VW rabbit(pussy wagon) :D Both the camaro and rabbit ended up dieing on me. So my parents donated my sisters 82 320i(Carlita) to me. Even though it was only 4 cylinders, and the whole car shook when it topped out at 80, I was hooked on BMW's. Rear ended a PT cruiser on 4:21 at 1:00 am(dunno why that happened :roll: ) and killed her. Bumper mounts on the front were ripped clean off the car. Bought my first E28, BLK 88 with red interior. Sold Octavius, and moved on to Bridgette, an 86 arctic blue e28. She is by far the best car I've ever owned. e28s are the only cars I've made money on when I sold them :D
DaRedRocket
Posts: 4285
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Post by DaRedRocket »

Just, way to dig up an old thread. :laugh:

First car was a 1984 Volvo Turbo Wagon. Sold that and went car less for a little bit. Then my dad gave me his 535i (he upgraded). Drove that for a year, sold it. Saved some more money with the intention of buying his E30 M3 that he upgraded to, he sold it to somebody else. I bought the 535is I have now instead, and I don't regret a thing :up:
w0014170
Posts: 2478
Joined: Nov 12, 2007
Location: Deep South

Post by w0014170 »

1970 Challenger 340 6pack 4sp. Bought overseas and never seen. Sold it on arrival to Florida and purchased a used 1971 LT-1 4spd Corvette :banana: Traded it for a 73 Vega GT by Motion Performance, same drive train about 1300lbs less weight.
Traded it for a 1970 Yenko Nova, same drive train still have the car after all these years.
ChefShawn
Posts: 2653
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: 94952 Petaluma CA.

Post by ChefShawn »

1987 Mercury Cougar

bought in 1997, white with red velvet interior, bumpin system, ren through three transmissions before i gave up on it. 3.5 v6 was nice, it was a very smooth comfortable ride, but it didnt handle to well. I dont know how many times i spun out in that thing..... :roll:
Rich in WI
Posts: 1115
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Rich in WI »

1975 Ford F100. 3 on the tree, 300, 2WD.

Bought in 1993 for $250.

Rich in WI
California Dreamin'
Posts: 691
Joined: Jul 12, 2007
Location: Californee

Post by California Dreamin' »

A 1966 Ford Falcon 2 door (post, not hardtop) I bought in '84 for $500. Known as the White Cloud because was oxidized white with blue interior. 170 straight six, 3 on the tree that we immediately converted to floor shifter. Drove her to Mexico and she made it back, and all up and down CA in the mid-80's in her.

CD
slave2school
Posts: 371
Joined: Aug 23, 2007
Location: NS, Canada

Post by slave2school »

$400 late fall 2001. 1990 Dodge shadow 2.5L of steaming shit.
ElGuappo
Posts: 8138
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Post by ElGuappo »

My first was an '83 533i, bought in '93 for $5000 out the door...I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into either...I was 19 at the time, but it was love at first site.

Poor thing still ran even after I turned the head into a paper weight and water would come gushing out while it was driving...THATS Engineering!

Jay3
dez528e
Posts: 192
Joined: Apr 28, 2007
Location: Austin TX
Contact:

Post by dez528e »

1984 528e with 92k mi for $2700. My first and best car. 1998!

Image

Crunchy tail lights!
Last edited by dez528e on Apr 14, 2008 1:10 AM, edited 1 time in total.
wkohler
Posts: 50941
Joined: Oct 05, 2006
Location: Phönix, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Post by wkohler »

1986 Volvo 245DL - $3000 with 271,000 miles on the odometer. 4-speed with electronic overdrive (A.K.A. the worst invention ever). My mother was driving it to Prescott. [Burt Bacharach]She was hit in the rear.[/Burt Bacharach] That was 8 days after I bought it - 09.08.01

1987 Volvo 245DL - $3300 with 114,000. 3-speed Automatic with Overdrive (I was shopping for color - yellow/brown). Still have it many thousands of dollars and miles later. Bought it - 11.21.01

1983 BMW 533i - $2000 with 264,432 miles. 5-speed. Dumped a crapload of money on non-essentials, like suspension, oil pump, clutch and the like. Hit by an E36 05.17.07. Purchased 09.17.06.

1987 BMW 535is - $3500 with 240,132 miles. 5-speed. Did nothing for about 7500 miles. Then dumped a bunch of money into it in March - not as much as the 533 and I have a better car. I've put about 11k on it since purchase 09.29.07.
JoshInAtlanta
Posts: 4434
Joined: Apr 22, 2006
Location: Holly Springs, GA

Post by JoshInAtlanta »

'96 Ford Explorer Sport - Bought for $1 from my aunt in 2002 with 206k. Gave it to my brother with 245k in 2005 when I got my truck.

2005 Nissan Titan - Bought new in '05, still chugging with 41k miles.

1978 530i - Got it in '05 for cutting some grass. It ran, but didn't last long... electrical nightmare! Gave it away.

1980 528i (Euro M535i clone) - Bought for $1000 and parted it out for the drivetrain.

1977 530i - Purchased in Feb. '06 for $260 and sold for $750 sans motor, Oct. '07.

1976 530i - Summer 2006, bought for $500 and sold next day to the guy second in line (car was another nightmare!)

1985 524td - Got it in 2006 for $1375. Sold for $2424 after 6 weeks to fund the next car.

1985 524td - May'06. Used the money from diesel #1 to buy this, $4000. 170k on the clock. Sold in Feb. 2007 for $2000 with 176k.

1985 Euro 535i - Bought April 2, 2007 for $500. Currently can be found in the "Parting my 535i" thread in the for sale section.

1981 528i - Purchased September 2007.
Steve in No Va
Posts: 190
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Steve in No Va »

My first car was a brand new black 1987 VW 16v Scirocco with a 5 speed manual trans. I had ordered an 87 5.0 Mustang GT but got pissed waiting 3 months and then being told it may be another 3 months, so I went to the VW dealer and ordered the Scirocco, which arrived in a week or two.

Best bit of luck because it was a great car. Recaro seats, upgraded airdam, rockers, rear bumper/valance and spoiler. Of course the 16v engine, LS differential and 14" alloy wheels with 50 series tires. All this for $2,000 over a base model.

I drove it 146,000 and sold it in 1993 with the original clutch, which could still chirp the tires in 2nd gear. Problem was the VW dealers in the area all had shit for service people so that every problem I brought it in for in the last year of ownership require 3 trips to get right.

My current daily commuter is the equivalent rear drive car: a black '96 318ti Sport with a 5 speed, 1.9L 16V engine, Recaro seats and M3 look from the factory. Also, a very fun commuter car that gets 28-30mpg.
Azure
Posts: 1480
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by Azure »

My first (parents bought):
1976 BMW 520i Polaris

My first purchase:
1986 BMW 535i Cosmosblau

My current:
1987 BMW 535is Zinnoberrot


Yeah.... never owned anything besides a 5er!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22379
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

wkohler wrote:1986 Volvo 245DL - $3000 with 271,000 miles on the odometer. 4-speed with electronic overdrive (A.K.A. the worst invention ever). My mother was driving it to Prescott. [Burt Bacharach]She was hit in the rear.[/Burt Bacharach] That was 8 days after I bought it - 09.08.01

1987 Volvo 245DL - $3300 with 114,000. 3-speed Automatic with Overdrive (I was shopping for color - yellow/brown). Still have it many thousands of dollars and miles later. Bought it - 11.21.01

1983 BMW 533i - $2000 with 264,432 miles. 5-speed. Dumped a crapload of money on non-essentials, like suspension, oil pump, clutch and the like. Hit by an E36 05.17.07. Purchased 09.17.06.

1987 BMW 535is - $3500 with 240,132 miles. 5-speed. Did nothing for about 7500 miles. Then dumped a bunch of money into it in March - not as much as the 533 and I have a better car. I've put about 11k on it since purchase 09.29.07.
JoshInAtlanta wrote:'96 Ford Explorer Sport - Bought for $1 from my aunt in 2002 with 206k. Gave it to my brother with 245k in 2005 when I got my truck.

2005 Nissan Titan - Bought new in '05, still chugging with 41k miles.

1978 530i - Got it in '05 for cutting some grass. It ran, but didn't last long... electrical nightmare! Gave it away.

1980 528i (Euro M535i clone) - Bought for $1000 and parted it out for the drivetrain.

1977 530i - Purchased in Feb. '06 for $260 and sold for $750 sans motor, Oct. '07.

1976 530i - Summer 2006, bought for $500 and sold next day to the guy second in line (car was another nightmare!)

1985 524td - Got it in 2006 for $1375. Sold for $2424 after 6 weeks to fund the next car.

1985 524td - May'06. Used the money from diesel #1 to buy this, $4000. 170k on the clock. Sold in Feb. 2007 for $2000 with 176k.

1985 Euro 535i - Bought April 2, 2007 for $500. Currently can be found in the "Parting my 535i" thread in the for sale section.

1981 528i - Purchased September 2007.
What part about "first" did Y'all not get? :laugh:
option00002
Posts: 2434
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Tepoztlan, Mexico

Post by option00002 »

1991 BMW 525 in '97
go4carter
Posts: 373
Joined: Oct 21, 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by go4carter »

1989 325i with coil-overs and a Metric Mechanic cam. I miss it all the time...
Image
BMWCCA2
Posts: 4088
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Central Virginia

Post by BMWCCA2 »

When I was fifteen-and-a-half, I purchased a half-interest in my older brother's '62 VW sunroof bug in anticipation of my getting my license at 16 and his going off to college the next year. My share was around $300. A couple of months later the Bug swallowed a valve. I think he junked it and I was out my $300. I never even got a chance to drive it, but I had alreay dog-eared the crap out of the JC Whitney catalog ready to "mod" it to death.

Once I got my license I took my Dad to see a Mercedes 180 "derby hat" sedan (beige, weren't they all? ;) ) a friend had for sale. Even though it was my money, Dad wouldn't approve a "foreign" car so we ended up with a '67 VW Beetle (Ruby red) off a used lot for $1200. Go figure. And he kicked in the $300 I'd blown on my brother's car.So, technically, that would be the second car I bought myself, though it was the first I actually drove.

Sure it was faster than my friend's 356C (yeah, those '67s were hot!), but it wasn't a lot of fun, so when my sister turned 16 two years later, I gave it to her after trying to teach her to shift, told her to trade it on an American automatic, and I went off and bought my first BMW; a brand-new 1971 R50/5 for $1400. My sister traded the Bug on a brand-new '71 Vega, and you can probably figure the ultimate fate of that car.

Background: I went to a very exclusive prep school (at my father's insistence) and before I was to become a driver I asked my Dad what kind of a car I'd get for my 16th birthday, since all the other kids had either new BMW 1600-2s or 356 Porsches, or Boss 302 Mustangs, or Olds 442 Convertibles. He told me I could have whatever I could afford. Years later I realize that was an excellent decision on his part, though I really never got the chance to thank him for it. Digging up trees in a nursery down the street wasn't all that bad a first job!
Tusker
Posts: 1435
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Tusker »

Half share with my friend Steve in a 1950's Austin A35. We paid £5 for it and we were about 15 so that would have been in 1972. It was an MoT failure and we used it for off-roading. This is the only surviving picture with Steve at the wheel...

Image

When new they had a top speed of 60 mph.
rs4pro3
Posts: 489
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Post by rs4pro3 »

Rust bucket 85 318i-5 speed for $1500
Tucker
Posts: 961
Joined: Nov 07, 2007
Location: Los Osos, CA

Post by Tucker »

'68 BMW 1600-2, Bristol Gray with a 2 liter transplant, E21 Recaros and twin Weber 40 DCOE's for $600 when I was 15. She was rusty, but it was identical to one my dad had when he was younger, and that's what got me into BMW's. It was either that or a 510, and it was faster than all my friends' Hondas :lol: I ended up parting her out when I found my current rust-free '68 2002 with a blown engine.
autsman
Posts: 101
Joined: Oct 15, 2007
Location: Knoxville Tennessee

Post by autsman »

It's funny that this got dragged up, it made me realise that my current car, the 86 535i was the first car I purchased on my own.

I payed for the majority of my car before the e28, but my parents still helped me out a little.
John SCB
Posts: 1872
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: SoCal, on the Beach.

Post by John SCB »

1963 Rambler Classic 660 Sedan. Got if for $150 in 1973. Excellent condition with about 100k miles, perfect body/interior.
In-line 6, three-on-the-tree, styling ahead of its time. My first car and first introduction to a "sport sedan"...what a great car that was.

Image
Post Reply