5er FEST 2007....................where.??.....WHEN....????

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Dinan e28
Posts: 3343
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Contact:

Post by Dinan e28 »

I'll be the first to comment on my Winny post.
So here I go "Snarf Snarf" Way cant I have 5er Fest they way I want it. (Snarf from Thundercats)Image

Image
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Dinan e28 wrote:After being on the my e28.com for almost 4 years, I feel like I'm not really wanted at all because were not as densely populated as you east siders. I was the 3rd farthest mileage in 04 in San Diego. Practically no one from the east came. I did stay with Rich from Huston TX who flew in. Mostly Cali and Arizona aria some Utah and new Mexico. I was the only one form Oregon. Also Walt from Washington State. Well its late and Ive been drinking, so any way I would fly if I had to, but I think it would be fare if we had another shot .
My 2 cents
Well, in '04 I drove to LA from Baltimore. Problem is, 5erFest was moved rather late in the game from July-ish to much later, when it conflicted with classes. So I still made my trip as planned, but I went to the O'Fest track events instead. <shrug> Oh well, I would have won mileage for sure. That trip was 7,100 miles (visited Kyle in NO on the way, as well as Bryan in NC, and saw Eric Q's M7 at CMS).

-tammer
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
Adam Wilson in Chicago wrote: I'm fine with a Texas event but Blake and I here in Chicago need to figure out if we'll have to trailer our cars. I know that's sacrilege, but we're limited to 2500 miles a year on our antique vehicle insurance and 1200 miles each way from Chicago to Dallas (if that's where it is) would kill that.
Curious: do you think if you contacted insurance and told them you were attending a show that was outside your "range," that they would make a mileage exception for the trip?
Another possibility is to read your policy carefully to see how firm and how clearly delineated your limits are. It may refer to an average of 2500 miles/yr, in which case, well, you do the math. Go light the rest of this year and in '08 and '07 could be fine. It could also be a moving 12-month 'window' in which case some finagling might help you (but not much).

Maybe keep in mind that 5er Fest is relatively early in the 'driving year' for you (Don't I know it!) so any possible claims on the way or returning would likely be within your mileage limits if this is your first trip of the year. If anything (God forbid) serious enough for a claim occurred, the odds are you wouldn't be driving the rest of the year anyway. You'd be fixing. Otherwise, you'd probably have a few short trips left inside the limits when you get back.

Finally, maybe worst case, simply ask for a separate binder for that trip alone. Given that you pay $XXX for 2500 miles over a year, I suspect they'd be perfectly happy to accept $XXX for the same 2500 miles driven over the span of two weeks in addition to your regular coverage. :cry:
GregB
Posts: 422
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marietta,GA & Beaufort,SC

Post by GregB »

Adam Wilson in Chicago wrote:
I'm fine with a Texas event but Blake and I here in Chicago need to figure out if we'll have to trailer our cars. I know that's sacrilege, but we're limited to 2500 miles a year on our antique vehicle insurance and 1200 miles each way from Chicago to Dallas (if that's where it is) would kill that. But still I would like to make it again to the event.
2,500 miles annually !

I know this is unrelated to the topic, however, you might want to shop around for that policy. The Agreed Value Policy I have on my E30 through Sneed Insurance in Memphis has no such limits on mileage. Only stipulations are garage kept and no drivers under 25.
grahamular
Posts: 1717
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Post by grahamular »

I'll conditionally second Sneed as a recommended Agreed Value policy option. Fortunately I have not had the need to make a claim with them, so I can't comment on that important aspect, but they were very prompt in responding to my questions (both phone and email) when looking at new agreed value policies for my M535i. I think I spent more on gas on the 5erFest trip then I did on my annual Sneed policy...compared to what I was paying with USAA (which my DD is still insured with), it really does seem like a bargain. But if anyone has had experience with making a claim with Sneed (good or bad), I'd be very interested in hearing about how it turned out.
mtrspt5
Posts: 65
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Naperville, IL

Stated value insurance

Post by mtrspt5 »

I've got the same issues Adam and Blake have, but in addition, my car is registered as a show car with the state of Illinois, so I am exempt from emisions testing. Again, I have the 2500 mile limit per year and I have to fill out an Ilinois form for this.

Bruce

2006 5ferFest Best of Show 1985 Euro M5
c_spargo
Posts: 1254
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: In the basement with greasy hands

Post by c_spargo »

Layton wrote:
dcollin wrote:I was going to ask the same question. Where in TX? I'm going for sure now. My inlaws live in San Antonio.
Hang tight, guys. Tentatively in Texas for '07 -- a lot more needs to happen before we can even come close to selecting a location.

For now, know it probably will not be Dallas or Houston.
Could we at least agree on NORTH texas?

Sheesh. It's 14 hours to ANYWHERE from MN. :(
graphite
Posts: 1344
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Worcester, MA

Post by graphite »

c_spargo wrote:Sheesh. It's 14 hours to ANYWHERE from MN. :(
quit whining.. google maps says 1 day 15 hours for me
Rich Euro M5
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: Klein, Texas

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

If it's going to be in Texas, with Dallas - Ft Worth and Houston rulled out, it leaves El Paso (WHY?) San Antonio and Austin. Fredricksburg would be real nice, but no Hotels with parking garages exist.

My votes goes to Austin followed by San Antonio.

Rich
laguna30
Posts: 320
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Olympia, Wa

Ultimate "driving" machine

Post by laguna30 »

5000 miles in 6 days
Tenino Wa. to South Bend and back

Speed limits forcably inhale (I.E.) suck

Average MPG 21

Best news - price of fuel highest in WA. and OR.
2.79 a gal for 93 octane - Forgot which of those pancake states it was ... :lol:

I have told my wife we need more time if we go again..
And go we will :banana:

( I won vintage creeper right? )

Have the Fest and they will come ...
West coasters, We need to belly up and line up a viable venue and present it as an option..
San Fran - works
Seattle, Portland, Bend, Reno, Vegas
All have advantages (for some)

Anyone look into contacting the RailRoad for setting up a car carrier and passenger train / Amtrak special ride ?

I too brought way to many beers back - Good thing they taste good with miles on em

Fest on !
John
I'll be back
Kenny Blankenship
Posts: 4942
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: NNV

Post by Kenny Blankenship »


What hapened to west coast? I thought we went, east coast -mid west - west coast? I was looking forward to a fest I could actualy drive to?
Whattya mean? You could have driven to any of the past Fests. I have.... :banana: :banana: :banana:
5000 miles in 6 days
Tenino Wa. to South Bend and back
Damn you John! Beaten again for the longest drive by some northern West Coaster. At least it wasn't Dan.
Wiseguy
Posts: 2026
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Between 17K and Rt 52 but a lot closer to 52

Post by Wiseguy »

If it's Texas, Austin would rock.

To be a real prick and monkey things up.. how about Denver or Colorado Springs?
RoyW
Posts: 2877
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Albany, NY

Post by RoyW »

Wiseguy wrote:If it's Texas, Austin would rock.

To be a real prick and monkey things up.. how about Denver or Colorado Springs?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Wiseguy....Denver/Colorado Springs would be awesome. It's clearly "west", and a reasonably compromise for everyone from all directions, N,E,S & W, as to driving distance... not creating a one way drive of more than 2000 miles for anyone worse case (with the exception of south FL, which is just over 2000 miles).

When BMWCCA's O'fest was held there in 2002, it was one of the best due to the location, roads, scenery, weather, accomodations, etc. I think we should give it strong consideration.

Going to far east or west eliminates too many people... I would vote to keep in the general middle of the country every year to allow for the most people to attend regularly. Can't satisfy everyone no matter what is decided... but those volunteering to do the work should clearly make the call.
graphite
Posts: 1344
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Worcester, MA

Post by graphite »

RoyW wrote: not creating a one way drive of more than 2000 miles for anyone..
Start address: Boston, MA
End address: Colorado Springs, CO
Distance: 2,041 mi (about 1 day 10 hours)

:shock:
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

Colorado

Post by BRRV »

Not to distract anyone from this interesting discussion, but I was involved in the 2002 BMWCCA event in Colorado, and the planning was grueling to say the least. We don't really have good track facilities, unless you want to go to Pueblo (?), and as I recall all we did up in the mountains was an autocross. The event was spread out all over, and it was expensive, too expensive in terms of hotel accomodations, from what I learned. If I recall attendance was down that year, which supports my point. If you do it in Colorado Springs, there isn't much to do there, save for Garden of the Gods, AFA and so on, but it would be preferable to Denver, since you could conceivably use Pueblo for a track (if it's still available). Second Creek, the Denver track location that was used, has been sold and isn't operating, and I know of nothing that's being used to replace it (others here may know more than I do).

Overall, I'd say doing an event in Colorado wouldn't be nearly as fun, or as "economical", as doing it in say, Texas. Hotel accomodations here, starting around the time you want this event to happen, can be really brutal, depending on where you want to be. I haven't yet been to a 5'er Fest, so I do not speak from experience on what you are looking for.

I think Texas would be a far better location; my choices would be San Antonio followed by Austin.

just my .02 worth...

BRRV
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Re: Colorado

Post by C.R. Krieger »

BRRV wrote:Not to distract anyone from this interesting discussion, but I was involved in the 2002 BMWCCA event in Colorado, and the planning was grueling to say the least. We don't really have good track facilities, unless you want to go to Pueblo (?), and as I recall all we did up in the mountains was an autocross.
An autocross is the 5er Fest driving event. There's no race, no school, no gymkhana, no rallies, etc. It's only two full days (spread out over three calendar days), after all. What's needed is accommodation for 20% of typical O'Fest numbers; that is, maybe 200 people and 150-175 cars. Therefore, we have a couple things in our favor when seeking sites. One is that there doesn't need to be much else to do because there just isn't time to do it. There sure ain't much in South Bend, but we had a ball. Here's the schedule as I remember it:

Friday morning-early afternoon: Drive to South Bend
Friday late afternoon: Register and schmooze.
Friday evening: More schmoozing at nice reception.
Friday later evening: Garage party in hotel parking garage, beer exchange, and creeper races.

Saturday morning: Get to site for panoramic picture and prep for autocross (select few).
Saturday day: Autrocross for the select few while others schmooze or go into South Bend to post bail for garage party miscreants.
Saturday evening: Awards dinner.
Saturday late evening: More garage party.

Sunday morning: Garage schmoozing as everyone checks out and packs to leave.
Sunday mid day: Tour led by someone who knows the local roads. Then everybody goes home.

The typical convention hotel's facilities can handle most of this easily. If it is, unlike the one in South Bend, a suburban one, it may even have a suitable lot to host the autocross.
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

'preciate the update

Post by BRRV »

...like I said, the Rocky Mountains would be pricey. Colorado Springs or South Denver would be better but not inexpensive.

With only an autocross, sure makes it easier - I think (not certain) that the Olympic training area (they have a huge parking lot) may have served at one time as an autocross location; I also vaguely remember the AFA as an autocross location. If you go up US 50 (a nice drive in the mountains) perhaps a suitable mountain autocross could be found.

Colorado Springs has a fair amount of hotels, in all price ranges. I mean, you could even go crazy and try the Broadmoor (just kidding). There might be one in the area that would have the right kind of parking lot, too.

Denver would likely be more expensive and probably have some restrictions not present in a Colorado Springs venue.

Based on this, Colorado Springs might (heavy emphasis) be a suitable location to be evaluated against the Texas or other locations...

Comments?

BRRV
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

One more thing...

Post by BRRV »

It seems to me that your successful events in the past have had a large or at least a dedicated contingent of volunteer, local organizers/participants. This may be a problem for a Colorado Springs location ( I don't know anyone else on the list in Colorado). Based on what Shawn said, you need national contacts, etc (see his list). While organizing something like this isn't out of my league (15+ years in the hotel business, organizing conventions, etc), without a more robust local cadre of volunteers, the Colorado Springs venue may just be DOA...

BRRV
grahamular
Posts: 1717
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Baltimore, Maryland

Post by grahamular »

Regardless of the final location, I think a gymkhana type of driving event would be a nice addition to the agenda if there is sufficient space and participant interest. It would provide another "competition" option for those who either did not get an auto-x slot, or prefer something a little different. If there is interest, I'd be more then willing to take responsibility for organizing it when the time comes... :banana:
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

grahamular wrote:Regardless of the final location, I think a gymkhana type of driving event would be a nice addition to the agenda if there is sufficient space and participant interest. It would provide another "competition" option for those who either did not get an auto-x slot, or prefer something a little different. If there is interest, I'd be more then willing to take responsibility for organizing it when the time comes... :banana:
Along those lines, and not taking anything away from Shawn's excellent work, how many applications were there for autocross? I kinda' wonder if everyone who goes to 5er Fest wants to race or if the number might be manageable enough to handle everyone who does.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22374
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

C.R. Krieger wrote:
grahamular wrote:Regardless of the final location, I think a gymkhana type of driving event would be a nice addition to the agenda if there is sufficient space and participant interest. It would provide another "competition" option for those who either did not get an auto-x slot, or prefer something a little different. If there is interest, I'd be more then willing to take responsibility for organizing it when the time comes... :banana:
Along those lines, and not taking anything away from Shawn's excellent work, how many applications were there for autocross? I kinda' wonder if everyone who goes to 5er Fest wants to race or if the number might be manageable enough to handle everyone who does.
The competition wasn't as stiff for a slot this year -- 44 folks signed up for 30 slots (any organizer got an instant slot if he wanted it, which took away from the 30). After the 2nd round of the lottery, everyone who got in the lottery pool by the deadline had been given a chance to confirm a slot, so nobody actually wasn't able to get in who wanted to get in (with the exception of a few folks who wanted to get in the lottery pool after the deadline). In 2005, there were 59 folks in the pool for the 30 available slots, and the majority of them had a chance to claim slots that were offered to them.
the Tanned One
Posts: 2725
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area in Fla.

Post by the Tanned One »

We know the "when" is Any idea on the "where" ???? I keep on hearing Austin But nothings in stone ??? TIA Randy/ 8)
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

GALVESTON................lets do one on the water this year.

Moody Gardens would be the bomb!
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22374
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

the Tanned One wrote:We know the "when" is Any idea on the "where" ???? I keep on hearing Austin But nothings in stone ??? TIA Randy/ 8)
How exactly do you "keep on hearing Austin"? The voices in your head telling you that? :lol:
the Tanned One
Posts: 2725
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area in Fla.

Post by the Tanned One »

:shock: Could be from talking to fellow Fla. 5ers & some other folks on the Phone ;) Nobody wants to know what the "voices" are telling me :laugh: :rofl: Randy/ 8)
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

the Tanned One wrote::shock: Could be from talking to fellow Fla. 5ers & some other folks on the Phone ;) Nobody wants to know what the "voices" are telling me :laugh: :rofl: Randy/ 8)
ive got tinitus. Thats when the voices in my head dont know the words............ So any more news on this front???????????????????????
PixMan
Posts: 380
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Spencer MA USA

Post by PixMan »

graphite wrote:the 2000 mile drive (one way) or the time off dont bother me as much as just having to be in texas :D
I'm with ya on that, graphite! Only steers and queers come from Texas.

OK, so my No.1 fear of going to Texas is really that the "red state" people will see the Massachusetts plate on my car and run my liberal ass out of town. And I will have driven a lot of miles just to be humiliated. :shock:

I *have* actually been there. It may be hot and flat, but at least it's boring. :D
BRRV
Posts: 3163
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Pensacola, Gulf of America

I shouldn't comment but...

Post by BRRV »

Let's see... a liberal from the first state in the nation to 'constitutionally protect' gay marriage telling the rest of us that 'red state' Texans are all gay.

Further, should we surmise from your post that people with Texas plates or other 'red state' areas (such as Colorado) would get run out on a rail (or...shudder... driven out by Teddy) if we were to visit the Big Dig State?

These comments aren't funny, and they aren't worth posting. If you don't want to have it in Texas, say so. But try to leave the underhanded comments and the innuendo off the thread, please.

If you're that worried about Texans, you have a lot to learn. Obviously, you haven't been to Austin!!!!!!!

I suggest you just stay in MA. The drive would probably be too much for you.
PixMan
Posts: 380
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Spencer MA USA

Post by PixMan »

Hey calm down, I was just kidding. The line about "steers & ..." was from a movie, ever seen Full Metal Jacket?

I am actually not all that liberal, it's just a ribbing I get whenever I visit outside my home state. An I take the ribbing with a sense of humor. Get one please. Meanwhile, I'll go shopping for more similies so it is more obvious to you that I'm just joking.

Furthermore, I know of the nightlife, liberalness, and cultural richness of Austin. Sounds like a great place, as does Texas hill country. Can we put this behind us now?
KillerPM
Posts: 3201
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by KillerPM »

What group of people are actually responsable for making this decision.

I say we make a checklist kind of poll where people check off where they would be willing to drive to the fest. Then the place with the most votes wins.

Just my CRAZY! idea. (me soo crazy)
Post Reply