1983 528e not running / wiring issues / done - fixed forever
-
Kyle in NO
- Posts: 17638
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
Oh. Mah. Gawd. If that's where your money is at, I sincerely hope you never gamble.
If you knew how to read a wiring diagram AT ALL, you would see that there is a direct circuit path between the ignition switch and that crazy Fuse 1. It doesn't even go thru the ECU!!!!
Do you even know how to use a multimeter?
If you knew how to read a wiring diagram AT ALL, you would see that there is a direct circuit path between the ignition switch and that crazy Fuse 1. It doesn't even go thru the ECU!!!!
Do you even know how to use a multimeter?
Last edited by Kyle in NO on Dec 27, 2012 8:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.
rodpaine wrote:It is a BOSCH 0 332 014 112 which is still available under that number, but often substituted with an 0 332 204 401, depending on your source.pleasefixitup wrote:I know the main is a 5 pin, what are the last 3 digits on your bosch main relay?
What is the complete P/N? There is no Bosch 332 series relay with the last 3 digits being '122'. You've either misread it or it is some other brand of relay. Please clarify.pleasefixitup wrote:I tried two 122 relays....bah! one is making something click intermittently down by the motor mount. not sure what it is.
-Rod
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
I don't, I actually just roll dice and multiply by 2, then divide by 2, then add 2.Kyle in NO wrote:Oh. Mah. Gawd. If that's where your money is at, I sincerely hope you never gamble.
If you knew how to read a wiring diagram AT ALL, you would see that there is a direct circuit path between the ignition switch and that crazy Fuse 1. It doesn't even go thru the ECU!!!!
Do you even know how to use a multimeter?
I can read a ecu, and it says that one of the 87's on my main relay send signals to my ecu. Then signals from the ecu go to the fuel pump relay.

I do gamble. The last time I went to rivers casino (and only time) I was there for 15 minutes and I left 300 dollars richer.
Last edited by pleasefixitup on Dec 27, 2012 9:19 AM, edited 1 time in total.
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
I will check right now, the 4 prong relay I was referring to earlier is not a 122. I found two of them in my relay box.rodpaine wrote:rodpaine wrote:It is a BOSCH 0 332 014 112 which is still available under that number, but often substituted with an 0 332 204 401, depending on your source.pleasefixitup wrote:I know the main is a 5 pin, what are the last 3 digits on your bosch main relay?What is the complete P/N? There is no Bosch 332 series relay with the last 3 digits being '122'. You've either misread it or it is some other brand of relay. Please clarify.pleasefixitup wrote:I tried two 122 relays....bah! one is making something click intermittently down by the motor mount. not sure what it is.
-Rod
-
mooseheadm5
- Posts: 23035
- Joined: Apr 08, 2009
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Contact:
I would probably go by the 83 since production of 82 models ended in 9/82. I see that they are very different setups, though, which is why you are so confused. The OBC was optional, so in the case that it isn't there, you ignore its presence on the diagrams.pleasefixitup wrote:mooseheadm5 wrote:It is not.
whats that all about?
should I be looking at the 82 or 83 etm, I think 82 since my car is 1/83 and has no obc.
Well, there's a big problem right there. One, your battery is dead as hell. Under 12.5V is 70% charged. Under 12V is 10% charged. 10.5 is just dead. Without adequate voltage, nothing will function correctly. Charge the battery and try your tests again. If you still get only 5 volts, you still have wiring issues.when I jump the fuel pump relay - i get power to fuse 1 - but only about half...my battery had about 10.5 volts and I was getting 5 volts to fuse 1.
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
I had to move the car today, but was unable to.mooseheadm5 wrote:I would probably go by the 83 since production of 82 models ended in 9/82. I see that they are very different setups, though, which is why you are so confused. The OBC was optional, so in the case that it isn't there, you ignore its presence on the diagrams.pleasefixitup wrote:mooseheadm5 wrote:It is not.
whats that all about?
should I be looking at the 82 or 83 etm, I think 82 since my car is 1/83 and has no obc.
Well, there's a big problem right there. One, your battery is dead as hell. Under 12.5V is 70% charged. Under 12V is 10% charged. 10.5 is just dead. Without adequate voltage, nothing will function correctly. Charge the battery and try your tests again. If you still get only 5 volts, you still have wiring issues.when I jump the fuel pump relay - i get power to fuse 1 - but only about half...my battery had about 10.5 volts and I was getting 5 volts to fuse 1.
During efforts, I hit the ecu a few times - guess what happened. The fuel pumps kicked in.
The battery has 12.62 volts now, not doing any tests at the moment because it's snowing!
The 83 still sends a signal via the ecu, so I'm guessing that is where my problem lies.
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
well well well....someone from the board came by today and figured everything out in just a few minutes. It was pretty amazing to watch this guy work.
1st - the main relay I swapped in was bad--so my spare was installed and that got us on our way.
2nd - coil was no good, swapped coils and we got spark!
3rd - Main fuel pump needs to be replaced and I'll be in business!
4th - we disagree on this, but I think a new ecu would tighten things up a bit--the reverse polarity couldn't have been good for the ecu in the car now.
Anyway, very excited.
1st - the main relay I swapped in was bad--so my spare was installed and that got us on our way.
2nd - coil was no good, swapped coils and we got spark!
3rd - Main fuel pump needs to be replaced and I'll be in business!
4th - we disagree on this, but I think a new ecu would tighten things up a bit--the reverse polarity couldn't have been good for the ecu in the car now.
Anyway, very excited.
-
Kyle in NO
- Posts: 17638
- Joined: Feb 12, 2006
- Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
I'm gonna see what happens, the fuel pumps were running fine yesterday--both!867535i wrote:A replacement ecu won't tighten anything up. It'll either work or it won't.
I'm going to get a new fuel pump and filter and go from there.
Guessing you woke up one day knowing everything.Kyle in NO wrote:Dude, if those were your problems, you have no idea what you are doing.
Wish I were you! Some people have to actually learn.
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
going to grab a fuel filter, a fuel hose from the filter to the pump and after some fun and more gas in the face, I should be running.
the pump gets 12 volts! so mr bentley says my pump is bad and the guy from the board that looked at my car said the pump is bad. Going with my pump is bad--lets see how this goes.
Oh and anyone that can do this job while not having the car up on a lift is a champ. This is annoying work while it's 31 degrees outside.
------
4:15 pm
decided a break was needed from the cold, so I took the fuel pump and filter bracket--wire wheeled the rust off and gave it a coat of primer. this would make me take a 30 minute break for some coffee and some sort of warm food.
guy sold me a hose that was too big in diameter--he said he checked it--I should have checked it too--if it goes on without any effort--it's gotta be too big.
just have to bolt her back up and see what happens.
little nervous.
the pump gets 12 volts! so mr bentley says my pump is bad and the guy from the board that looked at my car said the pump is bad. Going with my pump is bad--lets see how this goes.
Oh and anyone that can do this job while not having the car up on a lift is a champ. This is annoying work while it's 31 degrees outside.
------
4:15 pm
decided a break was needed from the cold, so I took the fuel pump and filter bracket--wire wheeled the rust off and gave it a coat of primer. this would make me take a 30 minute break for some coffee and some sort of warm food.
guy sold me a hose that was too big in diameter--he said he checked it--I should have checked it too--if it goes on without any effort--it's gotta be too big.
just have to bolt her back up and see what happens.
little nervous.
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
Ok just wasted a few hours. I should have let the car sit until the ecu got here.
swapped pumps, new fuel filter....sanded and painted the mount....still no start!!!!!!
I jumped the fuel pump relay, went under there to feel if fuel was passing through and it was.
fuel was getting to the filter at a fast rate.
So now it's a waiting game. Fuel pump isn't as hard as a job as I thought, it's just tedious with all the space you have to work with.
Happy new year!
swapped pumps, new fuel filter....sanded and painted the mount....still no start!!!!!!
I jumped the fuel pump relay, went under there to feel if fuel was passing through and it was.
fuel was getting to the filter at a fast rate.
So now it's a waiting game. Fuel pump isn't as hard as a job as I thought, it's just tedious with all the space you have to work with.
Happy new year!
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
It actually became cold in chicago, under 20 degrees today. Great!
Should be back in the 30's in the next 2 days or so, then I can start working again.
Going to clean out the fuel line to the motor and the return line as well. Compressed air should be sufficient.
the wix 33161 fuel filter I installed should get decent life if I clean the lines...otherwise I could just ruin it from the start with whatever crap is still in the lines.
It's been a learning experience, already thinking about the next one....
Should be back in the 30's in the next 2 days or so, then I can start working again.
Going to clean out the fuel line to the motor and the return line as well. Compressed air should be sufficient.
the wix 33161 fuel filter I installed should get decent life if I clean the lines...otherwise I could just ruin it from the start with whatever crap is still in the lines.
It's been a learning experience, already thinking about the next one....
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
wheel shimmy was fixed 2 years ago with new thrust arms.........its back again and will get moosehead bushings on next...
high idling was solved with an ICV from the junk yard...a new will probably work better though
u need more luck than me.........
keep us posted....im enjoying this thread hehehehehehe
high idling was solved with an ICV from the junk yard...a new will probably work better though
u need more luck than me.........
keep us posted....im enjoying this thread hehehehehehe
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
new 027 ecu, new ICM - started right up!
had it idle for about 10 minutes then turned it off.
Thanks everyone for parts and help!
edit : I'm so freaking happy right now. Anyway. Going to change the oil with some VR1, do some odds and ends and take her for a quick spin. New timing belt / water pump / tensioner this week
had it idle for about 10 minutes then turned it off.
edit : I'm so freaking happy right now. Anyway. Going to change the oil with some VR1, do some odds and ends and take her for a quick spin. New timing belt / water pump / tensioner this week
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois
at the risk of looking like a dumbass--car won't start.
getting spark, I can hear the fuel pumps when I'm cranking it....it sputters...I'm thinking it's the old gas...or who knows. I was trying to put the fuse box back together last night--that could be it...fuse box wasn't getting power at first, disconnected and re--connected c101, then fuse box was getting power.
fuses are getting battery voltage...going to do some more tests now.
Battery had sufficient voltage...
UGH
---
think my dad pulled a vaccum line last night...charging battery because I cranked the hell out of the car but after hooking the vaccum line up--it sounded like it was really trying to start
----
it sounds like it's trying to start, this is frustrating
getting spark, I can hear the fuel pumps when I'm cranking it....it sputters...I'm thinking it's the old gas...or who knows. I was trying to put the fuse box back together last night--that could be it...fuse box wasn't getting power at first, disconnected and re--connected c101, then fuse box was getting power.
fuses are getting battery voltage...going to do some more tests now.
Battery had sufficient voltage...
UGH
---
think my dad pulled a vaccum line last night...charging battery because I cranked the hell out of the car but after hooking the vaccum line up--it sounded like it was really trying to start
----
it sounds like it's trying to start, this is frustrating
-
pleasefixitup
- Posts: 1856
- Joined: Nov 21, 2011
- Location: Chicagoland, Illinois



