Page 3 of 4

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 1:17 PM
by T_C_D
nnarth212 wrote:From the Wonkette:

NEW YORK—Hey look! It’s that time of year again, and the semi-annual release of some or another study claiming that conservatives are stupid has finally landed on liberal doorsteps across America. Perfect timing, really! Since, you know, the one thing the country needs right now more than just about anything else is yet another excuse to avoid the hard work of looking at those we disagree with as equal partners in a national conversation, people who we must engage with and convince—and, oh, maybe as a result challenge ourselves to check our work and, you know, make better arguments! But hey, now we can all let ourselves off the hook and just deride them as all a bunch of idiots who aren’t even worth talking to in the first place. Thank you, science! Yes, this is quite obviously how we will move forward together as a nation. (It was the dramatic improvement in the quality of the national discourse evidenced after the last two dozen times a study like this was published that gives us so much faith.)...

wonkette.com
That statement is a stretch.

I think we can all agree that ignorance leads to inflexibility which leads to inefficiency of all types.

We do not have to agree on anything to work together but we must be willing to compromise. The inability to compromise is the basic cause of gov'ts slow response to citizens wishes. It's not really that complicated.

That's why Tammer's post of Goldwater's quotes was so compelling to me.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 1:47 PM
by ldsbeaker
le sigh...
This stuff is SOOO tiresome, and you guys expend SO much effort stating your positions while convincing no one.
It's ALL crap. :(

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 2:07 PM
by rlomba8204
T_C_D wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:
T_C_D wrote:
rlomba8204 wrote:
politics different than your own into some sort of "ignoramus" category. It's very insulting.
Isn't this exactly what you did when you labeled the affluent members of certain communities racist?
You obviously want to continue to argue. Go ahead and do so.
Who is arguing? I asked you a basic question based on your previous statement. It's OK for you to ignore it publicly as long as you contemplate it.

Have you even lived outside of the major metropolitan areas of the NE and Mid Atlantic.

I grew up in country bumpkin FL and have lived in Nola, NC and OH. I have also lived in Chicago, Milwaukee, CT, NY (Bronx) and NY (Westchester). My opinions about religious fervor are based on my life experiences in all of these places and certainly not based on what the media reports about ignorant country Christians. :roll:
You are arguing and I am not ignoring anything. The point I was trying to make -- unsuccessfully it is obvious -- is that attempts to bucket people in one way or the other are unhelpful and inappropriate. Or, stated differently, that people who are too smug in any sense of the word -- whether it be about their intelligence, sophistication, morality, or anything else -- are often the ones who have the most serious shortcomings in the areas in which they perceive that they are superior. I used an example from my life experience to illustrate this point. And that's why I said earlier what my mom taught us -- you are the way the good Lord makes you, or put a bit differently and in the manner she intended it, no one should sit in judgment of anyone else's shortcomings. So yes, it will bother me, and anger me, when I see someone post up some tripe that people who believe in God or are otherwise identified with political metrics typically identified as "conservative" -- I guess I shouldn't be insulted because I am one of the "intelligent" ones I guess -- are less intelligent than the enlightened people.

And I made a specific point of saying I didn't think your motivations for living where you live had anything to do with bigotry.

Moreover, the funny thing is that I don't disagree with a substantial portion of what Tammer wrote earlier. But the question is really two-fold if you want to think about why that response, however well-intentioned and drafted, is not satisfactory: first, is it really true that religious intolerance in this country is a bigger problem now than it was 250 years ago? 150 years ago? 100 years ago? 50 years ago? Any serious and impartial analysis of that issue, based on actual history, and not political nonsense, will tell you that while Tammer's concerns are well-founded, in this country at least we have done a better job of respecting religious views and differences. Are those things guaranteed going forward? No, of course not, but I don't think any sane person could argue that things today aren't more open for people.

And then there's the second question for thought: to the extent there are people who believe things that you and I would probably agree are not our beliefs (for example, creationism) to what extent are those beliefs real beliefs, and to what degree are they reactions to the effort that has been made in the last 50 years to completely banish any references to God from public life and discourse? This goes to a foundational issue upon which we will not agree: is what is popularly known as "religious freedom" in this country, or "separation of church and state," a principle or requirement that we respect different beliefs (or no belief) or that we affirmatively banish references to God from the public square? And from the perspective of philosophy and law, what does such banishment mean in terms of policy? In concrete and controversial terms, is abortion a religious issue, or is it an issue about the law respecting and preserving life as it does in other cases? Why do we preserve human life at all? Does anyone care to take that on or think we will resolve that here on mye28.com? Second point I am trying to make here -- probably unsuccessfully again as that seems to be my streak lately -- is that while I think there is something to be said for Tammer's points, there is also something to be said that people -- all people -- get defensive when you push back against sincerely held beliefs. If you really want to improve the quality of the public discourse in this country, and you want to take the temperature down, you and I cannot sit around in judgment of everyone's belief system that is different than our own. Another word for that, again, is "smugness." Your original post here -- predictably -- would make anyone not in agreement with the basic premise defensive because it casts them as less intelligent in some fashion. Colin's wonkette squib really describes this point perfectly.

I made a huge mistake responding at all to this thread. It proceeded as it always does and it is my fault for not knowing better. That's on me.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 2:09 PM
by turbodan
For my lack of time to participate and quickly diminishing interest in this thread, let me put it this way:

You guys are going to pull the lever for the D's in November no matter what, am I right? Regardless of the economy, Obamacare, the absolute lack of anything resembling a coherent or realistic plan to do anything other than attempt to hold onto power by demagoguing the rich, corporations and wall street?

You're concerned about what you percieve as bigotry from the prospective republican candidates?

It fucking makes me sick.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 2:12 PM
by Cory
turbodan wrote:For my lack of time to participate and quickly diminishing interest in this thread, let me put it this way:

You guys are going to pull the lever for the D's in November no matter what, am I right? Regardless of the economy, Obamacare, the absolute lack of anything resembling a coherent or realistic plan to do anything other than attempt to hold onto power by demagoguing the rich, corporations and wall street?

You're concerned about what you percieve as bigotry from the prospective republican candidates?

It fucking makes me sick.
Does make it embarrassing to drive a BMW at times. Not sure yet what to do with my MyE28.com sticker.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 2:43 PM
by Tammer in Philly
turbodan wrote:For my lack of time to participate and quickly diminishing interest in this thread, let me put it this way:

You guys are going to pull the lever for the D's in November no matter what, am I right? Regardless of the economy, Obamacare, the absolute lack of anything resembling a coherent or realistic plan to do anything other than attempt to hold onto power by demagoguing the rich, corporations and wall street?

You're concerned about what you percieve as bigotry from the prospective republican candidates?

It fucking makes me sick.
Nope. Read about the international IP treaty today, so that's not a foregone conclusion.

That said, there were and are real abuses of power in Congress and Wall St., You can call it demagoguery to attack that, but that is certainly preferable to race- and gay-baiting to get the churchgoers frothing at the mouth and to distract them from the financial ass-rape they're receiving.

-tammer

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 3:04 PM
by turbodan
Tammer in Philly wrote:
turbodan wrote:For my lack of time to participate and quickly diminishing interest in this thread, let me put it this way:

You guys are going to pull the lever for the D's in November no matter what, am I right? Regardless of the economy, Obamacare, the absolute lack of anything resembling a coherent or realistic plan to do anything other than attempt to hold onto power by demagoguing the rich, corporations and wall street?

You're concerned about what you percieve as bigotry from the prospective republican candidates?

It fucking makes me sick.
Nope. Read about the international IP treaty today, so that's not a foregone conclusion.

That said, there were and are real abuses of power in Congress and Wall St., You can call it demagoguery to attack that, but that is certainly preferable to race- and gay-baiting to get the churchgoers frothing at the mouth and to distract them from the financial ass-rape they're receiving.

-tammer
I'll believe it when I see it. The mental gymnastics to rationalize these decisions is always nothing short of amazing. And if all else fails, at least you're getting to vote against those stupid, bigoted, corrupt repulicans right?

You talk about Congress and Wall St. like these are strictly republican controlled entities. I don't think I need to explain that to you, but in case you've missed it, Obama was elected in 2009 along with a supermajority in both houses of Congress. Although the Dems took a historic whipping in the 2010 midterms, surely attributable to sucessful fearmongering and racism on the part of Republicans, the Democrats retained the Senate and a fair number of seats in the House. Rupublicans only control one of the three branches of the government. Harry Reid still runs the Senate. If you're upset with Congress and anything they've done (or haven't done) in the last three years, Obama and the Democrats own it 100%. If anybody had any bright fucking ideas to improve the country, the first two years of Obama's term were an ideal time to implement them. The only debate was between the left and the far left, and they still only managed to squeak through one of the biggest legistlative turds in history. Of course I'm referring the the massive expansion of government and encroachment on civil liberties and constitutional rights known as Obamacare. Thats the best he could do. How do you feel about that bill? I'd love to hear your assessment.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 3:26 PM
by Tammer in Philly
turbodan wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it. The mental gymnastics to rationalize these decisions is always nothing short of amazing. And if all else fails, at least you're getting to vote against those stupid, bigoted, corrupt repulicans right?
You can be damn sure I won't vote for Newt.
You talk about Congress and Wall St. like these are strictly republican controlled entities.
Actually, I did not. You READ it that way. If you go back to the last paragraph of my longer post, you'll see a very brief list of issues with democrats, most of which are reflected in both parties. You probably skipped that because it doesn't fit your preconceived notion of my thinking. The lens through which you look is heavily smeared, but that doesn't mean I have to sit here and let you put words in my mouth.
I don't think I need to explain that to you, but in case you've missed it, Obama was elected in 2009 along with a supermajority in both houses of Congress. Although the Dems took a historic whipping in the 2010 midterms, surely attributable to sucessful fearmongering and racism on the part of Republicans, the Democrats retained the Senate and a fair number of seats in the House. Rupublicans only control one of the three branches of the government. Harry Reid still runs the Senate. If you're upset with Congress and anything they've done (or haven't done) in the last three years, Obama and the Democrats own it 100%.
As of 2010, this is patently untrue. We don't need to rehash it, but the stonewalling by the republican-controlled house made everything much worse. Obamacare was gutted out as the left attempted to include the right. The debt ceiling debacle created huge economic instability, and the cuts that got passed were SMALLER than what was offered by the left. There is no compromise in the approach from one side. Sound familiar?
If anybody had any bright fucking ideas to improve the country, the first two years of Obama's term were an ideal time to implement them. The only debate was between the left and the far left, and they still only managed to squeak through one of the biggest legistlative turds in history. Of course I'm referring the the massive expansion of government and encroachment on civil liberties and constitutional rights known as Obamacare. Thats the best he could do. How do you feel about that bill? I'd love to hear your assessment.
I've already given a partial assessment. If you think that bill is the big turd, though, you obviously aren't aware of the PATRIOT act, FISA wiretapping bill, and the latest defense budget that allows military detainment of citizens without due process. THOSE are real threats to civil liberties.

Obamacare sucks in its final form, but one basic premise of it makes perfect, logical sense: there was a huge popular demand for a provision that would prevent insurers from refusing to cover pre-existing conditions. If such a provision is to exist, everyone must have insurance. There is no economic way around that. Otherwise, you have people signing up for insurance while they're in the ambulance. You can decide that you don't want that provision, or you can decide to enforce participation. That's up to you as a voter, but it has to be all-or-nothing or else the numbers don't work.

As far as taxes go, neither party will give us the sorts of sweeping reforms that we need. But Obama did the right thing by not letting the Bush cuts expire in the middle of a recession. Republicans are doing the wrong thing by not letting them expire now. Harp on the stimulus spending all you want, but unemployment has been on a steady decline and while slow, the recovery is moving along steadily. The reason it is slow has absolutely nothing to do with Obama's policies; it has to do with the credit crunch in China and the instability in the Eurozone. By the way, the Eurozone should be a sign that rapid, large-scale spending cuts in a bad economy make things worse, not better.

Stupid people, though, can't see our economy as part of a larger global system and can't process that any changes take time to work. Obama failed, in their eyes, because unemployment didn't magically disappear the day he took office. Given the economic situation when he came in, he actually did pretty well. We haven't double-dipped, and if we do it will be due to major spending cuts (read up on 1937 to see how that works). Manufacturing has increased. Home prices are still very low and worker mobility is still low, but a huge part of that is that the banks are refusing to approve short sales, so people who are upside down are literally trapped and cannot move to where a job might be (the upper midwest is booming right now--lots of jobs in ND, Iowa, etc.).

But here we are, talking fiscal policy and rational approaches to problems like insurance and taxation. The point of the thread was that for the religiously-motivated voters, these things don't matter. They are told that gays want to get married and force everyone to be gay, and they vote for people who will keep them in the poorhouse. How's this for hypocrisy; Gingrich said he's "not running for President to represent Goldman Sachs," while one of his platform points is cutting the capital gains tax rate to zero. Hmm, I'll bet an investment bank won't be aided at all by that, but Average Joe Racist in North Carolina will certainly take home a lot more money from his investments. Oh, wait, Average Joe Racist has no investments. He's broke. But he'll vote for Gingrich anyway, because Gingrich called Obama the "Food Stamp President" and that resonated with his Average Racist Ass.

In case you're wondering, 1 in 7 Americans is on food stamps right now. 60% of food stamp recipients are children or elderly. Most recipients of food stamps DO have jobs. A higher percentage of whites are on food stamps than blacks. But that's all inconvenient when you're trying to paint the poor as those darker-skinned, lazy people who won't help themselves.

-tammer

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 3:33 PM
by Mike W.
turbodan wrote: You guys are going to pull the lever for the D's in November no matter what, am I right?
It's as much who I won't be voting for as much as who I will. Most here know me well enough to know what that means.

And BTW, I've heard of them, but I've never used a voting machine where I pulled a lever. :laugh:

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 4:10 PM
by cgraff
Tammer in Philly wrote:
turbodan wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it. The mental gymnastics to rationalize these decisions is always nothing short of amazing. And if all else fails, at least you're getting to vote against those stupid, bigoted, corrupt repulicans right?
You can be damn sure I won't vote for Newt.
You talk about Congress and Wall St. like these are strictly republican controlled entities.
Actually, I did not. You READ it that way. If you go back to the last paragraph of my longer post, you'll see a very brief list of issues with democrats, most of which are reflected in both parties. You probably skipped that because it doesn't fit your preconceived notion of my thinking. The lens through which you look is heavily smeared, but that doesn't mean I have to sit here and let you put words in my mouth.
I don't think I need to explain that to you, but in case you've missed it, Obama was elected in 2009 along with a supermajority in both houses of Congress. Although the Dems took a historic whipping in the 2010 midterms, surely attributable to sucessful fearmongering and racism on the part of Republicans, the Democrats retained the Senate and a fair number of seats in the House. Rupublicans only control one of the three branches of the government. Harry Reid still runs the Senate. If you're upset with Congress and anything they've done (or haven't done) in the last three years, Obama and the Democrats own it 100%.
As of 2010, this is patently untrue. We don't need to rehash it, but the stonewalling by the republican-controlled house made everything much worse. Obamacare was gutted out as the left attempted to include the right. The debt ceiling debacle created huge economic instability, and the cuts that got passed were SMALLER than what was offered by the left. There is no compromise in the approach from one side. Sound familiar?
If anybody had any bright fucking ideas to improve the country, the first two years of Obama's term were an ideal time to implement them. The only debate was between the left and the far left, and they still only managed to squeak through one of the biggest legistlative turds in history. Of course I'm referring the the massive expansion of government and encroachment on civil liberties and constitutional rights known as Obamacare. Thats the best he could do. How do you feel about that bill? I'd love to hear your assessment.
I've already given a partial assessment. If you think that bill is the big turd, though, you obviously aren't aware of the PATRIOT act, FISA wiretapping bill, and the latest defense budget that allows military detainment of citizens without due process. THOSE are real threats to civil liberties.

Obamacare sucks in its final form, but one basic premise of it makes perfect, logical sense: there was a huge popular demand for a provision that would prevent insurers from refusing to cover pre-existing conditions. If such a provision is to exist, everyone must have insurance. There is no economic way around that. Otherwise, you have people signing up for insurance while they're in the ambulance. You can decide that you don't want that provision, or you can decide to enforce participation. That's up to you as a voter, but it has to be all-or-nothing or else the numbers don't work.

As far as taxes go, neither party will give us the sorts of sweeping reforms that we need. But Obama did the right thing by not letting the Bush cuts expire in the middle of a recession. Republicans are doing the wrong thing by not letting them expire now. Harp on the stimulus spending all you want, but unemployment has been on a steady decline and while slow, the recovery is moving along steadily. The reason it is slow has absolutely nothing to do with Obama's policies; it has to do with the credit crunch in China and the instability in the Eurozone. By the way, the Eurozone should be a sign that rapid, large-scale spending cuts in a bad economy make things worse, not better.

Stupid people, though, can't see our economy as part of a larger global system and can't process that any changes take time to work. Obama failed, in their eyes, because unemployment didn't magically disappear the day he took office. Given the economic situation when he came in, he actually did pretty well. We haven't double-dipped, and if we do it will be due to major spending cuts (read up on 1937 to see how that works). Manufacturing has increased. Home prices are still very low and worker mobility is still low, but a huge part of that is that the banks are refusing to approve short sales, so people who are upside down are literally trapped and cannot move to where a job might be (the upper midwest is booming right now--lots of jobs in ND, Iowa, etc.).

But here we are, talking fiscal policy and rational approaches to problems like insurance and taxation. The point of the thread was that for the religiously-motivated voters, these things don't matter. They are told that gays want to get married and force everyone to be gay, and they vote for people who will keep them in the poorhouse. How's this for hypocrisy; Gingrich said he's "not running for President to represent Goldman Sachs," while one of his platform points is cutting the capital gains tax rate to zero. Hmm, I'll bet an investment bank won't be aided at all by that, but Average Joe Racist in North Carolina will certainly take home a lot more money from his investments. Oh, wait, Average Joe Racist has no investments. He's broke. But he'll vote for Gingrich anyway, because Gingrich called Obama the "Food Stamp President" and that resonated with his Average Racist Ass.

In case you're wondering, 1 in 7 Americans is on food stamps right now. 60% of food stamp recipients are children or elderly. Most recipients of food stamps DO have jobs. A higher percentage of whites are on food stamps than blacks. But that's all inconvenient when you're trying to paint the poor as those darker-skinned, lazy people who won't help themselves.

-tammer
Tammer!

Ugh...we need to talk off-line. Suffice it to say, (and I'll be nice) some of the statements here on economics are just not quite right and evidence to support your conclusions and statements not quite there.

Gchat me later.

-Chris

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 4:47 PM
by oldskool
[quote="Karl Grau"]Would somebody please call someone a Nazi in a post? Once that's done I think we can mark this thread 'complete' and and move on.

Dammit Charles! Your such a Nazi.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 4:59 PM
by turbodan
Mike W. wrote:
turbodan wrote: You guys are going to pull the lever for the D's in November no matter what, am I right?
It's as much who I won't be voting for as much as who I will. Most here know me well enough to know what that means.

And BTW, I've heard of them, but I've never used a voting machine where I pulled a lever. :laugh:
Its a euphemism. I think my point gets across.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 5:37 PM
by davintosh
oldskool wrote:
Karl Grau wrote:Would somebody please call someone a Nazi in a post? Once that's done I think we can mark this thread 'complete' and and move on.

Dammit Charles! You're such a Nazi.
Dang; you stole my thunder. I was about to do the same thing. Thought I'd throw in a little Shawn D.-esque grammar fix for you. No charge. ;)

And wait a sec... Weren't you the one who called for a return to the pissing contest? What exactly is it you want? :tsk:

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 5:42 PM
by Cory

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 5:51 PM
by turbodan
Tammer in Philly wrote:
I don't think I need to explain that to you, but in case you've missed it, Obama was elected in 2009 along with a supermajority in both houses of Congress. Although the Dems took a historic whipping in the 2010 midterms, surely attributable to sucessful fearmongering and racism on the part of Republicans, the Democrats retained the Senate and a fair number of seats in the House. Rupublicans only control one of the three branches of the government. Harry Reid still runs the Senate. If you're upset with Congress and anything they've done (or haven't done) in the last three years, Obama and the Democrats own it 100%.
As of 2010, this is patently untrue. We don't need to rehash it, but the stonewalling by the republican-controlled house made everything much worse. Obamacare was gutted out as the left attempted to include the right. The debt ceiling debacle created huge economic instability, and the cuts that got passed were SMALLER than what was offered by the left. There is no compromise in the approach from one side. Sound familiar?
Whats untrue? That Obama and the Dems had a supermajority in Congress and the Repubs were literally powerless to oppose any legistlation? Obamacare relied on kickbacks to DEMOCRAT Congressmen and passed on DEMOCRAT votes. Wikipedia:
PPACA passed the Senate on December 24, 2009, by a vote of 60–39 with all Democrats and two Independents voting for, and all Republicans voting against.[8] It passed the House of Representatives on March 21, 2010, by a vote of 219–212, with 34 Democrats and all 178 Republicans voting against the bill.[9]
Republicans were not a factor. You can't blame a god damn thing about the bill on Republican opposition. As I said, the debate was between the left and the far left. Reid was bribing DEMOCRATS to vote for the bill.

If you want to take about stonewalling take a look at Harry Reid in the Senate. How many bills has he simply refused to allow a vote on? What do you call that?

The debt ceiling debates are just a taste of the shit sandwich we're going to have to eat sooner or later. There hasn't been any real economic stability in many years. Constant stimulus has soothed and artificially inflated the markets, but we have yet to actually address the problem, spending. Since noone in government has the political will to make substantial cuts at the expense of thier political career all we get is stalling until they inevitably vote to raise the ceiling anyway. I don't even know exactly what happens when you run the worlds largest economy into the ground by devaluing its currency and in the process wipe out investments and savings that people have worked for thier entire lives, but I know its going to be ugly. The last thing we need is universal healthcare, which is going to be bottomless money pit.

This is what happens when you build your party on handouts and benefits from the government. We will be bled out by entitlements because its politically impossible to repeal them. Even if you find enough politicians crazy enough to try it I imagine it would go down like the fight over collective bargaining in Wisconsin. It would only be a temporary effort until the population votes them out for someone promising more freebies and bennies. We're legitimately done for. Its just a matter of how much longer it can be out off.

Posted: Jan 27, 2012 8:27 PM
by Mike W.
I saw a bit a while ago that suggested our political views were in a way prewired. It's point was it came down to respect for authority, conservatives do and liberals don't. I will acknowledge authority, but have no intrinsic respect for it. Respect is earned, power is acknowledged, but not respected.

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 12:27 AM
by shagrath
This thread is such horse shit. Misunderstood and misinterpreted presidential quotes, bigoted religious bashing and "if you dont believe what I do youre a poor helpless piece of shit". I guess some of us arent worth the dirt on your shoes. Fucking pathetic. I want my 23 min back.

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 12:36 AM
by Mike W.
shagrath wrote:This thread is such horse shit. Misunderstood and misinterpreted presidential quotes, bigoted religious bashing and "if you dont believe what I do youre a poor helpless piece of shit". I guess some of us arent worth the dirt on your shoes. Fucking pathetic. I want my 23 min back.
Truly an eloquent and thoughtful response.

Matt. Think before you post.

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 12:46 AM
by Jeremy
Mike W. wrote:I saw a bit a while ago that suggested our political views were in a way prewired. It's point was it came down to respect for authority, conservatives do and liberals don't. I will acknowledge authority, but have no intrinsic respect for it. Respect is earned, power is acknowledged, but not respected.
I don't know about that. My left-right meter has swung gradually more towards the right over time in a number of ways, yet my respect for authority has diminished at a fairly steady pace at the same time.

Then again, I fall into the "fiscal conservative, social liberal" category of person that no political group really seems model themselves on. Does that make me liberal Libertarian? :laugh: More importantly, am I now supposed to move into a trailer park and/or be lobotomized since I am of above average intelligence? I suppose I'll be satisfied with being the statistical outlier.

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 1:00 AM
by Hutch
Wow. This was more entertaining than anything I could find on TV and made the wait for the 70 Hemi Challenger to come up on the block at the Mecum auction bearable. Sold for $125k.

Oh, the thread? I say keep it going so I have something to entertain me during the commercial breaks on the Rolex 24 coverage.

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 9:18 AM
by Tammer in Philly
shagrath wrote:Misunderstood and misinterpreted presidential quotes
Please, enlighten us. I'm sure I failed to properly interpret the subtle nuance of "it's going to be a terrible damn problem."

Dan, Romney defended his Romneycare individual mandate in the debate using the same logic I posted above (no free riders; if there is a requirement to deliver care, there must be a requirement for those who are able to pay for it). And guess what? 5 years in, it's working: http://content.healthaffairs.org/conten ... full#aff-3

ER use down, affordability up, uninsured down, outcomes improved, and 65% of the public still in support of the reform (down only 4% from when it was passed). Imagine that, encouraging people to get preventive care and avoid non-emergency use of the ER actually does drive down costs and improve health. Shocker.

-tammer

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 10:34 AM
by Hutch
It does drive me a little crazy when people that can afford health insurance opt out. Some because they don't see the need and want to save the money; some because they would just rather take the risk and spend the money on things they just have to have. I won't list any of those "things" because I am sure that would just create more angst for some of us.

In my mind, if we fix just 2 things with health care we would be way better off as a society and off to a good start on the bigger fix. Coverage for catastrophic health issues (good luck defining that) and not being turned down for pre-existing issues.

I'm gonna grab some coffee now.

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 11:09 AM
by BDK
This looks like it was a fun conversation...
I'm going to the beach to thaw out... :banana:

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 11:27 AM
by Karl Grau
BDK wrote:This looks like it was a fun conversation
Yes, it's been magical.

Image

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 2:01 PM
by WilNJ
Hutch wrote:... and not being turned down for pre-existing issues.
Unless someone is seeing something I'm not, I don't see how you fix this without a single payer system or a mandatory requirement for coverage.

Lets use this example:

You have an existing condition that requires $5,000 of medication every month. How much should your premium be?

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 3:32 PM
by Tammer in Philly
A perfect example of the effect of religious belief on the misguided and weak of mind. Here, it provides a convenient front for the obvious bigotry of the individual (cf his earlier emails regarding the President's wife):
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ident.html

-tammer

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 3:52 PM
by Mike W.
Jeremy wrote:
Mike W. wrote:I saw a bit a while ago that suggested our political views were in a way prewired. It's point was it came down to respect for authority, conservatives do and liberals don't. I will acknowledge authority, but have no intrinsic respect for it. Respect is earned, power is acknowledged, but not respected.
I don't know about that. My left-right meter has swung gradually more towards the right over time in a number of ways, yet my respect for authority has diminished at a fairly steady pace at the same time.
I think I've become more pragmatic with age, but my location on the political spectrum hasn't really changed. Nor has my contempt for authority. :laugh: Of course I'm more pragmatic about that too. :laugh:

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 4:41 PM
by Hutch
WilNJ wrote:
Hutch wrote:... and not being turned down for pre-existing issues.
Lets use this example:

You have an existing condition that requires $5,000 of medication every month. How much should your premium be?
Sounds catastrophic to me but like I said, good luck defining that.

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 5:27 PM
by WilNJ
Hutch wrote:Lets use this example:

You have an existing condition that requires $5,000 of medication every month. How much should your premium be?
Sounds catastrophic to me but like I said, good luck defining that.[/quote]

That wasn't my point. As of September 2010, for insureds under the age of 19, an insurer cannot exclude that person I mentioned above, assuming they're under 19.

If you're the actuarial, how do you calculate a premium when you already know with certainty, that your costs will be a minimum of $5,000 per month.

Lets put it a different way, if you knew that I was going to total my $20,000 car tomorrow, how much would you charge me for insurance today?

Posted: Jan 28, 2012 6:12 PM
by Hutch
Lets put it a different way, if you knew that I was going to total my $20,000 car tomorrow, how much would you charge me for insurance today?

I think you would be uninsured...