Page 2 of 2

Posted: Dec 26, 2011 11:04 AM
by mooseheadm5
tsmall07 wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:I really should drive Tyler's as it has been a while since I pressed the clutch in on an E34 540/6.
Anytime. My clutch is really light, though. Is my trans the same as the 850 trans?
Thanks!
Well, they aren't the same part number and the bell housing is definitely different, but I don't know about the internals.

Posted: Dec 27, 2011 10:07 PM
by mooseheadm5
And the trans is slipping. Time to make a decision. I am actively looking for a V8 E34 or E32 donor. Slammin has an M60B40 I can buy, but I'd still need a trans, driveshaft, brake booster stuff, etc. Will probably go with an auto. I will also see if my brother is interested in the E31 drivetrain for a future project we are working on.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Posted: Dec 27, 2011 10:21 PM
by rmiddendorf
mooseheadm5 wrote:And the trans is slipping. Time to make a decision. I am actively looking for a V8 E34 or E32 donor. Slammin has an M60B40 I can buy, but I'd still need a trans, driveshaft, brake booster stuff, etc. Will probably go with an auto. I will also see if my brother is interested in the E31 drivetrain for a future project we are working on.

Thanks for the advice, all.
There are a bunch of E34 530i's near me right now. Want me to hunt them down for you?

Posted: Dec 27, 2011 10:28 PM
by mooseheadm5
rmiddendorf wrote: There are a bunch of E34 530i's near me right now. Want me to hunt them down for you?
If they are cheap enough, yes. Thanks!

Posted: Dec 27, 2011 11:09 PM
by rmiddendorf

Posted: Dec 27, 2011 11:16 PM
by mooseheadm5
Wow, that first guy is not very smart.

Thanks for the links, but I am looking for a cheap donor at cheap donor prices, not a driver.

Posted: Dec 27, 2011 11:19 PM
by rmiddendorf
mooseheadm5 wrote:Wow, that first guy is not very smart.

Thanks for the links, but I am looking for a cheap donor at cheap donor prices, not a driver.
I know- right? I'll poke around for 540i's tomorrow. Will keep it on the cheaper side. ;)

There are a few E34 540i's floating around but none cheap enough. I just wanted to let you know I did look as promised though.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 10:32 AM
by rmiddendorf
rmiddendorf wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:Wow, that first guy is not very smart.

Thanks for the links, but I am looking for a cheap donor at cheap donor prices, not a driver.
I know- right? I'll poke around for 540i's tomorrow. Will keep it on the cheaper side. ;)
There are a few E34 540i's floating around but none cheap enough. I just wanted to let you know I did look as promised though.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 10:49 PM
by MShimon
Keep the E34/truck an auto and keep the E31 trans. and bits. Just put them on a shelf and leave them be...until you find another project to dump it into. I like to hold onto rare stuff and never resell, just play the waiting game. Better yet, hide it somewhere you won't remember and then you'll forget about it whereupon re-discovery will be a huge celebration.

I really enjoy having an automatic around personally, makes things easier.

Posted: Dec 29, 2011 11:05 PM
by mooseheadm5
If the pick and pull in Lynchburg is open on Monday, I'm heading there to see if they have a good trans in the 750iL sitting there. If so, I have my answer because that car can donate everything I need.

Posted: May 14, 2012 12:38 PM
by mooseheadm5
Just to end this, I punted. I am keeping the V12 and 6 speed for a later project because I found an E34 540i/6 parts car up in NoVa. I can pull that swap off in a day or two, and I really need my wagon to go to Radiohead and TedFest in June and up to Rheinbeck NY in the fall, which leaves me no time to fiddle with resealing a V12 and shoehorning it into an E34. This way the wagon will be roadworthy for a long time, and I can contemplate what to do with the V12 later (I have a line on another wagon, so who knows?)

Posted: May 14, 2012 12:55 PM
by rmiddendorf
An E34 540i/6 Touring is going to be easy to resell too if you ever wanted to do that. That's a solid choice all around. Good idea.

Posted: May 14, 2012 12:59 PM
by mooseheadm5
Resell? What's that?

Posted: May 14, 2012 1:17 PM
by rmiddendorf
mooseheadm5 wrote:Resell? What's that?
Its something my wife requires when the cars at our house exceed 4... :up: ;)

Posted: May 14, 2012 2:40 PM
by bmw4aaron
rmiddendorf wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:Resell? What's that?
Its something my wife requires when the cars at our house exceed 4... :up: ;)
I know exactly what your talking about! :up:

Posted: May 14, 2012 7:07 PM
by 1st 5er
bmw4aaron wrote:
rmiddendorf wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:Resell? What's that?
Its something my wife requires when the cars at our house exceed 4... :up: ;)
I know exactly what your talking about! :up:
:nopity:

Posted: May 14, 2012 7:43 PM
by cddallara
mooseheadm5 wrote:Just to end this, I punted. I am keeping the V12 and 6 speed for a later project because I found an E34 540i/6 parts car up in NoVa. I can pull that swap off in a day or two, and I really need my wagon to go to Radiohead and TedFest in June and up to Rheinbeck NY in the fall, which leaves me no time to fiddle with resealing a V12 and shoehorning it into an E34. This way the wagon will be roadworthy for a long time, and I can contemplate what to do with the V12 later (I have a line on another wagon, so who knows?)
Build thread?

Build thread!

Posted: May 14, 2012 10:15 PM
by mooseheadm5
At the pace I work, it is going to be one before and one after shot. I will be doing this at my brother's shop, so chances are I'll have all of two days start to finish.