Tough E34 decision

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.

6 speed or auto?

6 speed
28
64%
auto
16
36%
 
Total votes: 44

mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

tsmall07 wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:I really should drive Tyler's as it has been a while since I pressed the clutch in on an E34 540/6.
Anytime. My clutch is really light, though. Is my trans the same as the 850 trans?
Thanks!
Well, they aren't the same part number and the bell housing is definitely different, but I don't know about the internals.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

And the trans is slipping. Time to make a decision. I am actively looking for a V8 E34 or E32 donor. Slammin has an M60B40 I can buy, but I'd still need a trans, driveshaft, brake booster stuff, etc. Will probably go with an auto. I will also see if my brother is interested in the E31 drivetrain for a future project we are working on.

Thanks for the advice, all.
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

mooseheadm5 wrote:And the trans is slipping. Time to make a decision. I am actively looking for a V8 E34 or E32 donor. Slammin has an M60B40 I can buy, but I'd still need a trans, driveshaft, brake booster stuff, etc. Will probably go with an auto. I will also see if my brother is interested in the E31 drivetrain for a future project we are working on.

Thanks for the advice, all.
There are a bunch of E34 530i's near me right now. Want me to hunt them down for you?
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

rmiddendorf wrote: There are a bunch of E34 530i's near me right now. Want me to hunt them down for you?
If they are cheap enough, yes. Thanks!
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Wow, that first guy is not very smart.

Thanks for the links, but I am looking for a cheap donor at cheap donor prices, not a driver.
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Wow, that first guy is not very smart.

Thanks for the links, but I am looking for a cheap donor at cheap donor prices, not a driver.
I know- right? I'll poke around for 540i's tomorrow. Will keep it on the cheaper side. ;)

There are a few E34 540i's floating around but none cheap enough. I just wanted to let you know I did look as promised though.
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

rmiddendorf wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:Wow, that first guy is not very smart.

Thanks for the links, but I am looking for a cheap donor at cheap donor prices, not a driver.
I know- right? I'll poke around for 540i's tomorrow. Will keep it on the cheaper side. ;)
There are a few E34 540i's floating around but none cheap enough. I just wanted to let you know I did look as promised though.
MShimon
Posts: 960
Joined: Feb 12, 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Post by MShimon »

Keep the E34/truck an auto and keep the E31 trans. and bits. Just put them on a shelf and leave them be...until you find another project to dump it into. I like to hold onto rare stuff and never resell, just play the waiting game. Better yet, hide it somewhere you won't remember and then you'll forget about it whereupon re-discovery will be a huge celebration.

I really enjoy having an automatic around personally, makes things easier.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

If the pick and pull in Lynchburg is open on Monday, I'm heading there to see if they have a good trans in the 750iL sitting there. If so, I have my answer because that car can donate everything I need.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Just to end this, I punted. I am keeping the V12 and 6 speed for a later project because I found an E34 540i/6 parts car up in NoVa. I can pull that swap off in a day or two, and I really need my wagon to go to Radiohead and TedFest in June and up to Rheinbeck NY in the fall, which leaves me no time to fiddle with resealing a V12 and shoehorning it into an E34. This way the wagon will be roadworthy for a long time, and I can contemplate what to do with the V12 later (I have a line on another wagon, so who knows?)
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

An E34 540i/6 Touring is going to be easy to resell too if you ever wanted to do that. That's a solid choice all around. Good idea.
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

Resell? What's that?
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Resell? What's that?
Its something my wife requires when the cars at our house exceed 4... :up: ;)
bmw4aaron
Posts: 1261
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fishersville, VA
Contact:

Post by bmw4aaron »

rmiddendorf wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:Resell? What's that?
Its something my wife requires when the cars at our house exceed 4... :up: ;)
I know exactly what your talking about! :up:
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

bmw4aaron wrote:
rmiddendorf wrote:
mooseheadm5 wrote:Resell? What's that?
Its something my wife requires when the cars at our house exceed 4... :up: ;)
I know exactly what your talking about! :up:
:nopity:
cddallara
Posts: 3513
Joined: Apr 03, 2010
Location: Lagunitas, Ca

Post by cddallara »

mooseheadm5 wrote:Just to end this, I punted. I am keeping the V12 and 6 speed for a later project because I found an E34 540i/6 parts car up in NoVa. I can pull that swap off in a day or two, and I really need my wagon to go to Radiohead and TedFest in June and up to Rheinbeck NY in the fall, which leaves me no time to fiddle with resealing a V12 and shoehorning it into an E34. This way the wagon will be roadworthy for a long time, and I can contemplate what to do with the V12 later (I have a line on another wagon, so who knows?)
Build thread?

Build thread!
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

At the pace I work, it is going to be one before and one after shot. I will be doing this at my brother's shop, so chances are I'll have all of two days start to finish.
Post Reply