Posted: Dec 16, 2011 1:20 PM
This thread is a fantastic read! I would imagine, chris, that this knowledge is what your buddy is looking for.
No doubt. As the Chief Inspector, I will now be collecting a minor fee for all pans replaced. It's a mere 10% of the cost of parts plus a $15.00 for the official inspection certificate. I have the collection forms, you may have them defer to me for a copy.Ken H. wrote:So they can spend their spare time replacing oil pans.
I agree and If theoretically you could move the CG below the tire contact patch like a weight slung down under the road surface (think of a hanging roller coaster) the whole dynamic would shift from outward lean to inward lean. So theoretically the proper position of the CG would cause nothing to happen, no weight shift inside vs outside, and the suspension could remain flat as designed in static state. I think this requires the CG to be in plane with the contact patch which is difficult to imagine but it clearly indicates that the optimum for equal distribution of load and minimizing all the corrections based on dynamics would drive you there.Shawn D. wrote: As the vector moves sideways, the outside tires take on more vertical force and the inside tires thus take on less. Thus, the outside tires are taking more of the sideways thrust, while the inside tires are taking on less. This is not linear, though, because the increase in grip on the outside tires is less than the decrease in grip on the inside tires, especially as the trip limit is reached. Reducing the CG height reduces the change in distribution of vertical force, thus allowing all four tires to have more even distribution.
Making the spacers to do this would be relatively easy if you really wanted to mess with it. I have plans* for my wagon and may do something like this. I want to keep the stock ride height, or maybe go even higher. I want to add stiffer springs, but I want to still have the car handle as well as possible at that height. Dropping the front and rear subframes down something like 1" would do help maintain the desired geometry, and give me more room for the silly mess I plan to make of the car.wkohler wrote:I know a lot about suspensions and what is needed to make them work, but I found the idea intriguing of making all of the adjustments higher, keeping the ride height higher.
Thanks.

Thank you for NOT reading the question that was actually asked.Takedownrcm wrote:Why does it matter?
Some people do it for looks, others do it for less under drag coefficient and handling.
I personally think a vehicle with tucked tires and wheels that come flush with the wheel wells is neat "if done correctly". Its more of an art than for any other purpose.
Just giving my $.02. If you dont like my answer then ignore it. Problem solved...Tammer in Philly wrote:Thank you for NOT reading the question that was actually asked.Takedownrcm wrote:Why does it matter?
Some people do it for looks, others do it for less under drag coefficient and handling.
I personally think a vehicle with tucked tires and wheels that come flush with the wheel wells is neat "if done correctly". Its more of an art than for any other purpose.
-tammer
Not sure why you felt qualified to answer a post you didn't read.Takedownrcm wrote: Just giving my $.02. If you dont like my answer then ignore it. Problem solved...
That`s an interesting thought, but would it even have to be below the road surface? The way I imagine it, it would be the same having most of the weight below the control arm pivot point or something like that. Could be wrong.tn535i wrote:I agree and If theoretically you could move the CG below the tire contact patch like a weight slung down under the road surface (think of a hanging roller coaster) the whole dynamic would shift from outward lean to inward lean.
Note my point above about the CG vector. If it's above the road, it can be vectored past the side of the contact patch and make the vehicle flip.12valves wrote:That`s an interesting thought, but would it even have to be below the road surface? The way I imagine it, it would be the same having most of the weight below the control arm pivot point or something like that. Could be wrong.tn535i wrote:I agree and If theoretically you could move the CG below the tire contact patch like a weight slung down under the road surface (think of a hanging roller coaster) the whole dynamic would shift from outward lean to inward lean.
I don't think people realized that all you were asking was other people's perception on the subject.wkohler wrote:I'm done. Forget I asked. I thought it was an interesting idea to discuss but obviously no one else does. Instead, they'd rather lecture me like I'm some sort of moron and that I'm not "understanding" something that I've understood for years.