RonW wrote:1. With a fixed resistance, as voltage increases, current increases.
When was Ohm's law {E=IR} redefined? Please show references from peer reviewed publications.
Assume a resistor with a fixed value of 100 ohms. Assume 100 volts across the resistor. I=V/R therefore:
I=100V/100Ohm=1Amp.
Increase to 200 volts across the resistor:
I=200V/100Ohm = 2 Amps.
With a fixed resistance, as the voltage increases, the current increases.
For power, W=V^2/R or I^2R. So at 100V, 100Ohms:
(100^2)/100Ohms = 100W
(1^2)*100Ohms = 100W
At 200V, 100Ohms:
(200^2)/100Ohms = 400W
(2^2)*100Ohms = 400W
The phrase "directly related" I used above was misleading as I was trying to simplify the overall concept. RonW is correct as to the square of the voltage (or the current depending upon the formula used) being the relator to the power (if that is a word? )
I'll concede Ron is correct. I wasn't thinking in terms of what happens to power when voltage is increased across a fixed resistance, my brain was locked on a fixed 12vdc as used in automotive applications.. As a result I wasn't following what Ron described in written form.
Rich
Last edited by Rich Euro M5 on Nov 06, 2011 9:21 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Euro M5 wrote:I'll concede Ron is correct. I wasn't thinking in terms of what happens to power when voltage is increased across a fixed resistance. I wasn't following what Ron described in written form.
Rich
It is so nice when a guy is secure enough to admit when he is wrong. Even though your oversight about power vs. voltage is an easy mental mistake to make. Missunderstandings about the difference in energy vs. work vs. power vs. torque has resulted in some laughable threads here.
Rich Euro M5 wrote:I'll concede Ron is correct. I wasn't thinking in terms of what happens to power when voltage is increased across a fixed resistance. I wasn't following what Ron described in written form.
Rich
It is so nice when a guy is secure enough to admit when he is wrong. Even though your oversight about power vs. voltage is an easy mental mistake to make. Missunderstandings about the difference in energy vs. work vs. power vs. torque has resulted in some laughable threads here.
A lot of things can get twisted up when one tries to describe something. I'm not going to even comment on the whole flywheel thing. That discussion tends to make peoples heads spin.
Rich Euro M5 wrote:I'll concede Ron is correct. I wasn't thinking in terms of what happens to power when voltage is increased across a fixed resistance, my brain was locked on a fixed 12vdc as used in automotive applications.. As a result I wasn't following what Ron described in written form.
Rich
Heck, I'm a licensed PE in multiple states (electrical) and I still have to stop and think about it at times!