1st Car for a Young New Professional?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
m-racer
Posts: 5274
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Tampa Bay Florida

Re: 1st Car for a Young New Professional?

Post by m-racer »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
Cory wrote:My nephew just graduated from pharmacy school and is about to embark with an awesome 1st job. I'm his go-to car person and recommended he take his time to find an ultra clean/well maintained Lexus IS300.
Any other things that someone might consider?
Thanks.
Does he drive a stick? What will his hours be like? Can he/will he turn a wrench? No matter how awesome the job is, no use in throwing money away. Every car costs money. If you buy new/newer, you pay in depreciation, but you might get a warranty. If you buy older, you save up-front and on depreciation, but you have repair downtime, and repair costs a lot if you aren't inclined to touch a wrench.

My approach is to drive nice older cars, and keep more than one. If one breaks and I can't drive it for a while, use the other. If he wants a newer car and doesn't want to think about it, buy an Acura TL (first gen; the newer ones are fugly). If he wants lower cost and a little effort, an E46 330i ZHP is a great car, or a late (end-of-run) E39 of any stripe. I'd avoid any VAG product that's more than 5 years old.

I think almost every Toyota product of the last decade has sucked, IS Lexus included. Infinitis look nice but they have reliability issues. If not buying new, a pre-'04 BMW is a good bet.

-tammer
Good thoughts. Does your man have a personality? A life? A dog? A girlfriend? A boyfriend? A hobby? You are not giving us much to go on. I'd say a Porsche 911 or a Toyota 4Runner :confused:
WVe28
Posts: 2137
Joined: Jul 29, 2007
Location: Charleston, WV

Post by WVe28 »

As stated, we know very little of what his situation is or what he's willing to spend, but I, for one, LOVE my e90. Mine has sport and premium packages, I haven't had one lick of trouble out of it, and I got it for around $18k. I know there are some e90 haters out there, but I personally think that I bought the best car in the world for under $20k.
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

I love my E90 as well, but I also think that almost any recent (last 10 years) Toyota or Honda product would be great. Even a Ford from the last 5 years is pretty good IMO.

If I weren't a BMW enthusiast I'd probably have just driven Honda and Toyota products for the rest of my life.

But I love BMWs so therefore there goes a large portion of my disposable income...
535is-pa
Posts: 1944
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: south central PA

Post by 535is-pa »

as much of a gearhead as i am, if you not after a toy i just cannot justify not buying something off a dealer lot with a bumper to bumper warranty and driving it till the warrenty gets close to going out and then sell/trade in on another one.
m5chaser83
Posts: 522
Joined: May 05, 2010
Location: san rafael ca

Post by m5chaser83 »

The volvo s80 would be a good choice.
tangerineman91
Posts: 362
Joined: Mar 28, 2010
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Post by tangerineman91 »

Why not a well-kept E39 528i or 525i? Good styling, good handling dynamics, enough engine to stay somewhat satisfied, nice interior, and common enough to get cheap parts. Oh, and they're cheap as dirt.
mpowertech
Posts: 255
Joined: Sep 19, 2011
Location: Baltimore, MD

no other

Post by mpowertech »

Steal of the century are the low mileage 2003 e39 540i w///M bits. 6sp, but thats where the fun begins. Last year of the model, so a lot of the bugs have been worked out. Plus you get the big nav screen. :banana:
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

535is-pa wrote:as much of a gearhead as i am, if you not after a toy i just cannot justify not buying something off a dealer lot with a bumper to bumper warranty and driving it till the warrenty gets close to going out and then sell/trade in on another one.
While there is some appeal there, that is the most expensive way to own cars.

-tammer
shagrath
Posts: 14980
Joined: Jun 15, 2009
Location: pLace

Post by shagrath »

Ford Festiva LX.
Cory
Posts: 894
Joined: Sep 07, 2006
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Cory »

I think maybe a good non-M E36. Is there a single model/year that jumps out as "The One"? I think maybe a '99 coupe of some sort.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
535is-pa wrote:as much of a gearhead as i am, if you not after a toy i just cannot justify not buying something off a dealer lot with a bumper to bumper warranty and driving it till the warrenty gets close to going out and then sell/trade in on another one.
While there is some appeal there, that is the most expensive way to own cars.

-tammer
You don't have to buy new to get a warranty. Used off a dealer lot with an extended factory warranty (such as BMW's CPO program) is probably the best bet for the non-enthusiast. You'll pay more than from a private seller, but still far less than new.

Jeremy
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Cory wrote:I think maybe a good non-M E36. Is there a single model/year that jumps out as "The One"? I think maybe a '99 coupe of some sort.
A late E36 won't be significantly different in price to a mid-range E46, and the latter is the better car, especially for the street. There are 328i and 330i available at or under $10k in very good shape.

Jeremy, good point about CPO, but we don't know a budget here. That only applies to cars <4 years old, so at a minimum you're looking at $20k and up.

-tammer
Cory
Posts: 894
Joined: Sep 07, 2006
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Cory »

Tammer in Philly wrote:
Cory wrote:I think maybe a good non-M E36. Is there a single model/year that jumps out as "The One"? I think maybe a '99 coupe of some sort.
A late E36 won't be significantly different in price to a mid-range E46, and the latter is the better car, especially for the street. There are 328i and 330i available at or under $10k in very good shape.

Jeremy, good point about CPO, but we don't know a budget here. That only applies to cars <4 years old, so at a minimum you're looking at $20k and up.

-tammer
I think you're onto something. I think that's it.
Tammer in Philly
Posts: 10719
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: CHI, IL

Post by Tammer in Philly »

Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Tammer in Philly wrote:Jeremy, good point about CPO, but we don't know a budget here. That only applies to cars <4 years old, so at a minimum you're looking at $20k and up.

-tammer
Well, I was only holding up BMW's CPO as an example of what I was talking about. Other manufacturer's have similar programs of varying value on cars that cost less. Volvo and Saab both have good programs from what I've heard. VW, MINI, Hyundai, and Honda supposedly have very good certified pre-owned programs as well.

BMW's program goes out 5 years, and there are MY 2005 cars for sale at BMW dealers with CPO warranty near me. They've likely been on the lot for a while.

Jeremy
Post Reply