Page 2 of 2

Re: IGNITION PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME!!

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 9:39 AM
by ahab
slammed28kid wrote:my car is a 1982 bmw 528E and its manual

Re: IGNITION PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME!!

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 9:49 AM
by Xenocide
ahab wrote:
slammed28kid wrote:my car is a 1982 bmw 528E and its manual
Gotcha, thanks. I did just miss it :oops:

In that case the only real possible problems are battery terminals, ground straps, the ignition switch (very unlikely at this point), or possibly the starter. Jumper pin 11 to pin 14 in the diagnostic port. If it starts, that'll point to the ignition switch. If not, it's likely a problem with your main engine ground strap or possibly your battery terminals or starter wire.

Image

(thank wkohler for the image).

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 11:21 AM
by mooseheadm5
You also missed the bit where I told him to do that, and he still hasn't and instead decided to replace the starter.

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 11:36 AM
by Mike W.
Changing the starter without cleaning battery terminals is like swapping an engine without changing the plugs first just because you have a miss.

It might be the problem, but as I think it was son of a said, if you hear hoofbeats, while it might be Zebras, think Horses first.

Posted: Oct 11, 2011 2:16 PM
by Xenocide
mooseheadm5 wrote:You also missed the bit where I told him to do that, and he still hasn't and instead decided to replace the starter.
So I did, but as he's moving on to starter replacement without responding with the results, I felt it could stand to be repeated.

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 1:38 AM
by slammed28kid
Problem solved. Did not need to do the starter. The guy before me had a kill switch put in down by the clutch, i guess i accidently hit it on my way out of the car. Stupid little things. But thanks for all the help guys!. I appriciate it!!

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 1:50 AM
by Kyle in NO
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 11:37 AM
by mooseheadm5
This reminds me of some sort of list that someone keeps for situations like this.