IGNITION PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME!!

E28 technical advice asked and given! Troubleshooting, modifications and more.
ahab
Posts: 6224
Joined: Jun 11, 2006
Location: Chalfont, PA

Re: IGNITION PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME!!

Post by ahab »

slammed28kid wrote:my car is a 1982 bmw 528E and its manual
Xenocide
Posts: 3370
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: IGNITION PROBLEM PLEASE HELP ME!!

Post by Xenocide »

ahab wrote:
slammed28kid wrote:my car is a 1982 bmw 528E and its manual
Gotcha, thanks. I did just miss it :oops:

In that case the only real possible problems are battery terminals, ground straps, the ignition switch (very unlikely at this point), or possibly the starter. Jumper pin 11 to pin 14 in the diagnostic port. If it starts, that'll point to the ignition switch. If not, it's likely a problem with your main engine ground strap or possibly your battery terminals or starter wire.

Image

(thank wkohler for the image).
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

You also missed the bit where I told him to do that, and he still hasn't and instead decided to replace the starter.
Mike W.
Posts: 27987
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Changing the starter without cleaning battery terminals is like swapping an engine without changing the plugs first just because you have a miss.

It might be the problem, but as I think it was son of a said, if you hear hoofbeats, while it might be Zebras, think Horses first.
Xenocide
Posts: 3370
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by Xenocide »

mooseheadm5 wrote:You also missed the bit where I told him to do that, and he still hasn't and instead decided to replace the starter.
So I did, but as he's moving on to starter replacement without responding with the results, I felt it could stand to be repeated.
slammed28kid
Posts: 32
Joined: Sep 27, 2011

Post by slammed28kid »

Problem solved. Did not need to do the starter. The guy before me had a kill switch put in down by the clutch, i guess i accidently hit it on my way out of the car. Stupid little things. But thanks for all the help guys!. I appriciate it!!
Kyle in NO
Posts: 17638
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Nasty Orleans------> Batten-Rooehjch------>More Souther LA

Post by Kyle in NO »

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
mooseheadm5
Posts: 23035
Joined: Apr 08, 2009
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Contact:

Post by mooseheadm5 »

This reminds me of some sort of list that someone keeps for situations like this.
Post Reply