Did I buy the wrong replacement Jeep?

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
Rich Euro M5
Posts: 6098
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: Klein, Texas

Post by Rich Euro M5 »

Kyle in NO wrote:
1st 5er wrote:I'm sure it won't be getting mods.
I'll drive it until either someone wants it or it dies.
That won't take long. The dying part, that is...
It'll die a quick death when one of the rear intake manifold bolts shears, and it will eventually shear. When this happens the entire contents of the cooling system will find it's way into the crankcase.
Jeremy
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 15846
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Connecticut

Post by Jeremy »

Did I buy the wrong replacement Jeep?
It appears that you might have, sorry to say. I do hope that it serves you well, however.

Tyler- that Kaiser is pretty awesome.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Since this IS a Jeep thread and will not die, I'll come clean.
I daily drove a glossy black '77 CJ-5 with a mildly modified V-8. Headers and 2" pipes that exited right under the doors. . . 33's and chrome trim throughout. Longest 5 years of my life as it's really hard to drink beer in a Jeep with no doors or top. Road trips were sheer hell. Anything over 1 hour and you really NEEDED a beer. I finally broke down and bought a tobacco brown top the last year I owned it because all the drunk chicks I was harvesting from the clubs were starting to complain about their hair getting all tangly and "stuff".
There was an amp and some subwoofers, even a Milli Vanilli cassette in the stereo that I didn't have the heart to tell the new owner about. I really miss that cassette.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

I dont do much towing, but I would prefer to tow with a longer wheel base and bigger brakes than a baby Cherokee..Back in the day , a buddy had a job delivering re-manned engines to garages. He never left the shop with less than 6 2.8 GM V6s in the box.

I'm sorta doing the same thing, Sherman. I bought a '94 Ranger 4x4 . 5 speed /4L V6 . Needs exhaust, a clutch, a shifter motor and who knows what else to get the transfer case to shift. It replaced my Grand Wagoneer For 600$, I couldnt pass it up
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

rmiddendorf wrote:Get 400 miles out of it and it cost you $1/mile. Get 800 out of it and it only cost you $.50/mile. Then you can go buy the proper replacement Jeep.
Then deduct salvage value, and I think I'll be OK.
mechacode
Posts: 692
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Wi

Post by mechacode »

My brother picked up a '90 cherokee with 230k on it last year for 500 and we drove that thing everywhere through everything. The 4 wheel was stuck, took some force to get the lever to popup, we figured the previous owners never even used it. Now my gf has it, it's big, slow and it takes a lot to get it stuck, perfect for the gf. That I6 rarely ever dies, it still doesn't smoke even with 240k on it now. When we got it we did a tune up on it and 3 of the 6 plug's straps were connected by carbon!
Night Wolf
Posts: 226
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Middle GA

Post by Night Wolf »

Jeremy wrote:Certain 4 cylinder turbo diesel motors have become moderately popular transplants for the Wrangler and CJ guys. I'm not sure what they're using (I think one option is Isuzu stuff), but if the truck is otherwise solid and you want a project, it's doable.

I wouldn't want to keep that GM V6 either. Problematic and wheezy. The AMC straight 6 based stuff is as bulletproof as an m30 when maintained. Mine has 230+k miles on it.

Jeremy
I'd say the 4.0 HO is a whole lot less finicky than an BMWs BMW engine just due to the electronics alone. In '01 it went to coil pack ignition, the oil pump drive assembly was then redesigned in '05 and is a real POS. EVERY '05 and '06 (last year) 4.0 will have this problem and if not addressed in time, it'll take out the cam with it. The only current ''fix'' is to mod the same POS part, atleast they are still available. I replaced mine, modded it then bought another. I got my Jeep before this was a widely known issue and was banking on the excellent track record of the 4.0. Chrysler had to go and screw that up.
Night Wolf
Posts: 226
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
Location: Middle GA

Post by Night Wolf »

Shawn D. wrote:
C.R. Krieger wrote:
BTW- 258 = 4.2 liter. That's the earlier carbed motor.
Middle 1960s, to be exact. I remember them in Rambler Americans. I knew a guy who drove the snot out of one with a 4.10 rear.
The 258 was available until '88. My '87 Eagle had one.
1990 YJ had the 4.2 carb. 1991 was a cool transition year for the YJ - last year of the cool CJ-style sport bar and first year for the 4.0 HO. AMC first made the fuel injected 4.0 in the 80s. It used a quirky management system. In the 90s Chrysler converted it to their own common system and got more power out of it, that's when they added the ''High Output'' designation. It got a better flowing head in the late 90s and much improved intake manifold in the early 00s it is often said the late 90s/early 00s are most powerful as the late run like mine switched to JTEC management which so far has not been cracked (not much demand). The engine isn't as responsive and sometimes doesn't have the instant kick like the older models. Jeep engineers said that's because they had to slightly detune it for emission reasons. The newer intake on a late 90s distributor 4.0 would be a nice setup. Though there was a head cracking issue for a couple years. For a non-crossflow head, the thing is pretty darn good at what it does. My Jeep is under geared with factory 3.73s and on 33s, stock was 30s. It's still very peppy and doesn't feel under powered. Doesn't take much to spin the tires in 1st and is simply excellent off road. The Mercedes 6spd manual helps with the 4.46:1 1st gear and higher .84 overdrive. IMO, excellent transmission for the Jeep, perfect gear spread.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

1st 5er wrote:How about the MyE28.com equivalent in Jeepdom?
I'm needing to source a replacement rear hatch.
Answer please.
jc72
Posts: 712
Joined: Aug 16, 2010
Location: Oakland, CA

Post by jc72 »

naxja.org and cherokeeforum.com have a lot of general cherokee info. 60degreev6.com has a lot of info specific to your engine and its modern brethren.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

Thanks...
Post Reply