Quitting chewing tobacco today.

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Really, you'll need to address the oral aspects (yes homo) of this, and almost any distraction during peak cravings will help.
Exercise, sex, food, chicken-choking, or just counting the wrinkles in your sack will help during peak craving spikes.
Ken H.
Posts: 1819
Joined: Dec 04, 2006
Location: Suburban Gomorrah

Post by Ken H. »

BDK wrote:basically, try not to focus on it, find something else to fiend on. When that won't get it,
go with vagina . . .
http://www.pbase.com/clubdiva78/image/86440222
nnarth212
Posts: 1953
Joined: Aug 10, 2009
Location: San Francisco

Re: Quiting chewing tobacco today.

Post by nnarth212 »

Brian in TN wrote:My first attempt in about 15 years....
Take it personally, get angry...positively... It is a challenge that you owe completing to you and yours.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Metamucil fiber drink is your friend because without the nicotine your bowels will bind up and make life even more unpleasant. Do not combine with carrots or you'll end up defacing oleander with reckless abandon. (You should be ashamed Mr. MacNeil) :laugh:
I suggest you give up drinking at the same time as it won't increase the torture for you too much but will help us taxpayers as it will only involve one trip to jail per week. Thanks in advance and good luck, we're all counting on you. . .
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

smoking is my demon. I'm on my 2nd go with Chantix. It isn't working as well as the first run. But I'm way below the pack-a-day for 40 yrs. About 6 dry spells ago, I discovered that the urge for a smoke rises and falls. Crave tobacco, wait 2 minutes and the craving goes away. Mebbe it s the silver lining to short term memory loss. :lol:
bigkat
Posts: 82
Joined: Aug 09, 2010
Location: Houston

Post by bigkat »

My hats off to you. Been at it for 21 years and made the mistake of quitting for a girlfriend about 9 years ago. Once the girl was gone I was back at it. I am almost at the point to give it another run though. My son is 3 and when he says "That's daddy's cup" it kind of hits me right in the gut!.

I gave up the alcohol and other things almost 8 years ago and life could not be better but I still let myself believe that chewing is not hurting anything.

Thanks for posting because I personally need to make my intentions public so I have some accountabillity

Best of luck
John in VA
Posts: 5368
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Leesburg, VA

Post by John in VA »

Good luck with this, Brian. It's hard to give up any habit, but think of the benefits. Search on "oral cancer" images if you need motivation. Wouldn't want anything to happen to that purty mouth!
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

I'm gonna start smoking and dipping when I am 90. ~45 years to go!
slammin_e28
Posts: 6140
Joined: Aug 05, 2007
Location: 24477

Post by slammin_e28 »

I smoked while in automotive school and after a crazy bad breakup a few years ago.

Otherwise, I can't afford to...more money for more car parts. :rofl: :roll:

I still bum one or two off bros and hipsters when at the bar though, but I've never had a "craving" for a cigarette.
86GT635
Posts: 1897
Joined: Mar 11, 2009
Location: Kentucky USA

Post by 86GT635 »

beef jerky.
LSD3.73
Posts: 240
Joined: Oct 09, 2009
Location: Minneapolis MN

Post by LSD3.73 »

Dude good luck! Stay with it! I smoked at least a pack a day for 3 years and I quit almost 3.5 months ago and it feels great to not be a slave to the tobacco demon anymore! Its weird basically re-learning life but awesome!
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

slammin_e28 wrote:...

Otherwise, I can't afford to...more money for more car parts. :rofl: :roll:

I still bum one or two off bros and hipsters when at the bar though, but I've never had a "craving" for a cigarette.
this.
Brian in TN
Posts: 4615
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Brian in TN »

Thanks for all the good words and humor guys. Gonna try to make this 1 can last 2 days, instead of 3 cans in 2 days.
Shawn D.
Beamter
Beamter
Posts: 22377
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Contact:

Post by Shawn D. »

Good luck, Mr. Pimp!
Greg E34
Posts: 1819
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: The Dirty Dime

Post by Greg E34 »

It sucks dude, but you can do it. I dipped the hagen for almost 20 years. Back in the day it was easy to quit, for a while anyway. The older I got and the more habitually I did it though, the harder it got. About 4 years ago, I decided it was time to drop it for once and for all and just put it down cold turkey. Haven't had even a pinch since then. I chewed gum (just regular gum, not the nicotine stuff) for a while pretty obsessively, but I've been clean since March of 2007 and haven't looked back. I'm gonna die of something, just don't want it to be disfiguring mouth cancer or heart disease if I can help it.
Brian in TN
Posts: 4615
Joined: Feb 12, 2006

Post by Brian in TN »

Well, today ive only had 5 dips. Normally would have one all day at work and half a dozen at night. It really hasnt been too difficult so far. Thanks again for the encouragment guys.
One day at a time.
rmiddendorf
Posts: 5568
Joined: Jul 11, 2010
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post by rmiddendorf »

I thought it said 'quilting chewing tobacco today.' That peaked my interest.

On track- my last cigarette was down in West Virgina with the RTT crew probably around 12:30am on Memorial day. Since I decided to buy another car the catch was that my wife said I had to be a non-smoker. So to ease the non-smoking thing I pretty much also cut out drinking so I wouldn't be tempted to smoke. And you have any idea how much money I saved? Well go check out my R/C Toys thread and you can make an educated guess. I'm not a non-drinker, just not drinking as much.
1st 5er
Posts: 21966
Joined: Jun 13, 2008
Location: Cypress
Contact:

Post by 1st 5er »

Good luck to you Brian.
Just don't give up the bedliner thing though. :laugh:




And to Scot... We'll be watching you!
thrty8street
Posts: 638
Joined: Feb 21, 2011
Location: Maryland

Post by thrty8street »

Replace the bad habit with a good one. Relapse may be expected but dont allow it to discourage you from meeting your goal. Finally, find a good reason to justify you quitting so when you have a moment of doubt or temptation, you can revert back to that reason. Having support from your family and friends also helps.
alijonny
Posts: 5612
Joined: Apr 09, 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by alijonny »

Yes, srsly (no ketchup). Take it one day at a time. Don't expect to relapse, but don't give up if you do. Many people make the mistake of making long term goals of quitting altogether. We all know that doesn't work. Look at all the fat ladies who are on "diets" :x
option00002
Posts: 2434
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Tepoztlan, Mexico

Post by option00002 »

Wow! Talk about a disgusting habit. Have you seen what happens to people's mouths?

Just kidding. If there is one thing I hate it is hypocrites so this is coming from a guy who smokes a pack a day. I guess we are in the same boat. :laugh: I just god damn love the things. Good luck. When I did give them up it was a cold turkey method so that is my best recommendation. Clearly it worked *sigh*.
KillerPM
Posts: 3201
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Post by KillerPM »

You could move to Southern Ontario.

I don't think we can even get it here.
WilNJ
Posts: 4193
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: North Jersey

Post by WilNJ »

thrty8street wrote:Finally, find a good reason to justify you quitting so when you have a moment of doubt or temptation, you can revert back to that reason.
Yep, mine was realizing that someday soon my oldest would ask me what I was doing and not being able to come up with a good explanation.

It's been 4 years since I quit and I never had to answer that question.

I've gone over to the extreme where the smell and taste of it makes me sick.

I still have the oral fixation (yes homo) and chew sugarless gum often, especially in the car.
Post Reply