Gettysburg battle began 148 years ago

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
L_N_Love
Posts: 4106
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Richmond VA

Post by L_N_Love »

Ken H. wrote:The goddam war ended 146 years ago. Give it a rest already. Sheesh. :deadhorse:

^^^^ yes...please.
Xenocide
Posts: 3370
Joined: Jun 08, 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by Xenocide »

Ken H. wrote:The goddam war ended 146 years ago. Give it a rest already. Sheesh. :deadhorse:
Image

(Trolling, I live in Atlanta, not Georgia.)

Also, I love living in the south (and history).

While I do enjoy learning about the causes/politics/positions in the civil war, I have no false sense of honor or mysticism about the whole thing, Americans killed each other. Which is no more romantic than Americans getting killed in any other war, much less so since they were fighting each other.
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

I had dinner with a gent in his 80's a while back and when he found out I was from the "North" the conversation ended.
Evidently his grandfather's livestock were plundered and then thrown in the irrigation pond wrecking the family farm. Dude was living it just as if it were yesterday and I felt connected somehow even though I hate fried chicken and the term Y'all.
L_N_Love
Posts: 4106
Joined: Jun 19, 2008
Location: Richmond VA

Post by L_N_Love »

oldskool wrote: Y'all.
Yeah..."Yous guys" is much more correct.
a
Posts: 12473
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Marshfield ,MA

Post by a »

150 yrs and it is still a sore spot. Kinda throws perspective on the Sunni/ Shiite conflict or the Christians/ Muslim / Jews in the Middle East.
Lee in MD
Posts: 1652
Joined: Mar 03, 2007
Location: Columbia MD

Post by Lee in MD »

a wrote:150 yrs and it is still a sore spot. Kinda throws perspective on the Sunni/ Shiite conflict or the Christians/ Muslim / Jews in the Middle East.
Indeed! Guess that make our little grudge match look like the historical chump change that it is.

BTW, I'm off to see the reenactments at Gettysburg today. I'm so excited. Death to slavers! ;)
option00002
Posts: 2434
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Tepoztlan, Mexico

Post by option00002 »

Lee in MD wrote:
a wrote:150 yrs and it is still a sore spot. Kinda throws perspective on the Sunni/ Shiite conflict or the Christians/ Muslim / Jews in the Middle East.
Indeed! Guess that make our little grudge match look like the historical chump change that it is.

BTW, I'm off to see the reenactments at Gettysburg today. I'm so excited. Death to slavers! ;)
I saw a couple reenactments when I lived in VA. The lasting memory I have is McDonald's wrappers being strewn on the battle field. :roll:

Why are there even reenactments? I've never understood it. Must be a southern thing...

EDIT: I want to see a Vietnam reenactment! :rofl:
Ken H.
Posts: 1819
Joined: Dec 04, 2006
Location: Suburban Gomorrah

Post by Ken H. »

option00002 wrote:Why are there even reenactments? I've never understood it. Must be a southern thing... I want to see a Vietnam reenactment! :rofl:
Better yet, why not a 9/11 reenactment? Krieger would probably go for it in a major way. :evil:
:argue: :argue: :argue:
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

option00002 wrote:I want to see a Vietnam reenactment!
http://www.reenactor.net/korea_nam/vietnam.html
slammin_e28
Posts: 6140
Joined: Aug 05, 2007
Location: 24477

Post by slammin_e28 »

My friends dad did WW2 reinactments. Had all kinds of cool shit in the basement.
option00002
Posts: 2434
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Tepoztlan, Mexico

Post by option00002 »

stuartinmn wrote:
option00002 wrote:I want to see a Vietnam reenactment!
http://www.reenactor.net/korea_nam/vietnam.html
I'm not sure I understand the link/plug. On a side note what a pathetic website.
option00002
Posts: 2434
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Tepoztlan, Mexico

Post by option00002 »

To me any war reenactment looks like this:

Image

Who wants to remember that? :brick:
stuartinmn
Posts: 9756
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Minneapolis

Post by stuartinmn »

option00002 wrote:
stuartinmn wrote:
option00002 wrote:I want to see a Vietnam reenactment!
http://www.reenactor.net/korea_nam/vietnam.html
I'm not sure I understand the link/plug. On a side note what a pathetic website.
Just answering your question. If you follow the links on that page you can find out where to see Vietnam reenactments.
option00002
Posts: 2434
Joined: Dec 23, 2006
Location: Tepoztlan, Mexico

Post by option00002 »

stuartinmn wrote:
option00002 wrote:
stuartinmn wrote:
option00002 wrote:I want to see a Vietnam reenactment!
http://www.reenactor.net/korea_nam/vietnam.html
I'm not sure I understand the link/plug. On a side note what a pathetic website.
Just answering your question. If you follow the links on that page you can find out where to see Vietnam reenactments.
Ummm I tried that. Perhaps you should click on the links.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Ken H. wrote:
option00002 wrote:Why are there even reenactments? I've never understood it. Must be a southern thing... I want to see a Vietnam reenactment! :rofl:
Better yet, why not a 9/11 reenactment? Krieger would probably go for it in a major way. :evil:
How about a reading comprehension reenactment? I wasn't defending reenactors (although I certainly appreciate the sense of history that brings with it); I was arguing that that war should not be forgotten nor ignored for a number of reasons. I daresay it means more to the world today than all the Sunbeam Tigers ever built ...
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

C.R. Krieger wrote: Sunbeam Tigers
HEY! I have a Sunbeam Tiger.

You want me to tell you about it?
slammin_e28
Posts: 6140
Joined: Aug 05, 2007
Location: 24477

Post by slammin_e28 »

Duke wrote:
C.R. Krieger wrote: Sunbeam Tigers
HEY! I have a Sunbeam Tiger.

You want me to tell you about it?
I'm all ears....
Lee in MD
Posts: 1652
Joined: Mar 03, 2007
Location: Columbia MD

Post by Lee in MD »

Well the reenactment today was pretty good. Damn those cannons are loud! I sat in the bleachers behind the guys playing the Confederate artillery and watched them reenact Pickett's Charge. Pretty exiting and fun until the charge was over and half of the Confederate soldiers were dead or wounded. Gotta admit I got a little choked up when they played Taps to finish out the battle scene, but I guess it's only natural since some of my ancestors got greased on both sides of that war.
Matt
Posts: 2351
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fargo

Post by Matt »

C.R. Krieger wrote:because you know what? I have no problem with the military shooting you to preserve the union.
I know. That's one of the implications of your worldview, one that you've denied or talked around previously, but which you now openly state.

I've only ever talked about violence in the context of defending yourself against aggression.

You have no such moral highground. You are perfectly fine with killing people who have the "audacity" to disagree with majority opinion. You're a coward and an enabler of the worst sort.

I don't know if you knew it before, but its nice to have it out in the open for everyone.

I wish you no ill will. I want to be left alone. You desperately want to kill me if i dont bow down to your digsuting god of violence, plunder, and corruption.


Happy 4th. Jefferson would have smacked you.
Duke
Posts: 9986
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Ormond Beach, FL

Post by Duke »

I like bubbles!
oldskool
Posts: 12001
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: coastal north carolina
Contact:

Post by oldskool »

Ryan Dunn had an accident in a Porsche near Gettysburg I heard. He was bubbly.
Ken H.
Posts: 1819
Joined: Dec 04, 2006
Location: Suburban Gomorrah

Post by Ken H. »

oldskool wrote:Ryan Dunn had an accident in a Porsche near Gettysburg I heard. He was bubbly.
Matt, ask Krieger if he wants to take part in a reenactment--or should I say, repeat? :nopity:
Karl Grau
Posts: 9742
Joined: Mar 10, 2006
Location: 1930's Germany

Post by Karl Grau »

I'm making sangria to take to the party across the street.
Lee in MD
Posts: 1652
Joined: Mar 03, 2007
Location: Columbia MD

Post by Lee in MD »

Matt wrote:
C.R. Krieger wrote:because you know what? I have no problem with the military shooting you to preserve the union.
I know. That's one of the implications of your worldview, one that you've denied or talked around previously, but which you now openly state.

I've only ever talked about violence in the context of defending yourself against aggression.

You have no such moral highground. You are perfectly fine with killing people who have the "audacity" to disagree with majority opinion. You're a coward and an enabler of the worst sort.

I don't know if you knew it before, but its nice to have it out in the open for everyone.

I wish you no ill will. I want to be left alone. You desperately want to kill me if i dont bow down to your digsuting god of violence, plunder, and corruption.


Happy 4th. Jefferson would have smacked you.
Yes, I agree with Matt that this sentiment is a tad harsh. I don't agree with a lot of what he says but as far as I know he's minding his own business so I don't think we need to be calling for his untimely demise at the hands of the State. :shock:

Last time I checked, spouting off and annoying everyone on the interwebz wasn't punishable by death. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it isn't even a misdemeanor. :laugh:
slammin_e28
Posts: 6140
Joined: Aug 05, 2007
Location: 24477

Post by slammin_e28 »

Lee in MD wrote:
Last time I checked, spouting off and annoying everyone on the interwebz wasn't punishable by death. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure it isn't even a misdemeanor. :laugh:
Better not move to TN then! ;) :rofl:
Mike W.
Posts: 27988
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: California Whine Country

Post by Mike W. »

Duke wrote:
C.R. Krieger wrote: Sunbeam Tigers
HEY! I have a Sunbeam Tiger.

You want me to tell you about it?
I'm really not much interested in a Tiger, but compared to the rest of this thread, yeah, bring it on, I'm all ears. :laugh:

This is a good example of why politics are to be avoided, passions run high and making a point isn't enough, insults and inflamitory comments get thown in. To no good end. :facepalm: I've PM'd somebody here once over politics and I agreed with his position but not his style.

Tigers. Yeah! :banana:
podgorny
Posts: 414
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Post by podgorny »

Matt wrote: I know. That's one of the implications of your worldview, one that you've denied or talked around previously, but which you now openly state.

I've only ever talked about violence in the context of defending yourself against aggression.

You have no such moral highground. You are perfectly fine with killing people who have the "audacity" to disagree with majority opinion. You're a coward and an enabler of the worst sort.

I don't know if you knew it before, but its nice to have it out in the open for everyone.

I wish you no ill will. I want to be left alone. You desperately want to kill me if i dont bow down to your digsuting god of violence, plunder, and corruption.


Happy 4th. Jefferson would have smacked you.


I know it doesn't pertain to this thread.
But every time I see your avatar, I think it's you, accepting a warm glass of breast milk.
It weirds me out, and you should change it.
Matt
Posts: 2351
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Fargo

Post by Matt »

podgorny wrote:I know it doesn't pertain to this thread.
But every time I see your avatar, I think it's you, accepting a warm glass of breast milk.
It weirds me out, and you should change it.
Better?

The main problem is your unnatural reaction to breastmilk. It's another one of those amazing things the body can do that doctors don't quite have figured out.
C.R. Krieger
Posts: 14507
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Halfway up the left side of Lake Michigan
Contact:

Post by C.R. Krieger »

Matt wrote:
C.R. Krieger wrote:because you know what? I have no problem with the military shooting you to preserve the union.
I know. That's one of the implications of your worldview, one that you've denied or talked around previously, but which you now openly state.

I've only ever talked about violence in the context of defending yourself against aggression.

You have no such moral highground. You are perfectly fine with killing people who have the "audacity" to disagree with majority opinion.
Oh, give it a f***ing rest! You'll twist anything anyone says to fit your 'worldview' (A favorite reactionary-coined term to mean "anything I don't agree with") of poor little you against the Big Bad Gubbmint. Suck it up and learn to live in this society or get the hell out of the US. You think you're too goddamned good for the rest of us, so just leave.
You're a coward and an enabler of the worst sort.
And you're a liar and a baiter of the worst sort.
I wish you no ill will.
Bullshit. You want me dead because we're not bending to your will and you're not happy about it. More lying.
I want to be left alone.
No you don't. You want to screw over all the unfortunates in society because they aren't as good as you and, if we all don't just kiss your little ass, you want somebody to kill you so you can be a martyr - kind of like a Muslim terrorist. Don't flatter yourself. You aren't worth a bullet.
You desperately want to kill me if i dont bow down to your digsuting god of violence, plunder, and corruption.
I don't want to kill anybody. I just said it would be fine with me if somebody did you in for your arrogant (feigned) refusal to coexist - even though it is whatever "digsuting (sic) god of violence, plunder, and corruption" that may exist that makes you a very well-paid pawn of Microsoft. So suck it up and STFU.
podgorny
Posts: 414
Joined: Feb 12, 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Contact:

Post by podgorny »

Matt wrote:The main problem is your unnatural reaction to breastmilk. It's another one of those amazing things the body can do that doctors don't quite have figured out.

Good sir, it is you whose reaction to breastmilk is unnatural. Appreciation, curiosity, indifference, even some amount of revulsion are all perfectly normal responses. Exuberance is not normal.
Post Reply