Page 2 of 2

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 2:01 AM
by 1st 5er
Janusz wrote:2early to judge.. Had the pads delivered this afternoon.
I'll wait for next weeks update then.

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 2:03 AM
by Janusz
1st 5er wrote:
Janusz wrote:2early to judge.. Had the pads delivered this afternoon.
I'll wait for next weeks update then.
will do!

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 11:23 AM
by a
dust is fine, usually it means the pads are grippy. When they get thin you can re-pad without worrying about the rotors.

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 8:22 AM
by shagrath
An old thread with a new update:

So I have been using this brand of pad for a few years now, and I hate them primarily because of brake squeal. They sound like stuck pigs.

88 eta: Used my first set of regular "silver" series of these Canadian pads and they worked great for about 5k miles. Then they started squeaking when I was NOT pressing the brakes! Aarg! Annoying. So I bought a second set (Satisfied Gold ceramic) not to long ago and not even 5k miles later they squeal terribly when under even modest braking.

87 M30: I used Advance brand Wearever Silver and they are quiet as can be. And a little cheaper. They stop well too. :D

I was also just informed by Bap Geon that Satisfied is out of business, hence the cheap pads on Tire Rack a little while ago. Bap said they would exchange my pads under warranty, not using Satisfied. :D Lesson here: they suck ass.

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 9:04 PM
by mechacode
Just wondering about the brakes installed in this thread, did you guys break them in by going and getting them real hot? I've yet to have a set of pads squeal on me as long as they were broken in correctly.

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 10:07 PM
by Coldswede
mechacode wrote:Just wondering about the brakes installed in this thread, did you guys break them in by going and getting them real hot? I've yet to have a set of pads squeal on me as long as they were broken in correctly.
Aw man! don't be starting these vicious rumors! You know damn good and well brake rotors and pads don't need to be bedded in properly, the rotors just warp no matter what you do.

I've been called a "Fucking idiot" by someone my intellectual superior for suggesting differently.

True story dat.

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 10:45 PM
by 1st 5er
Grease stops squeaks.

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 11:02 PM
by Jeremy
Coldswede wrote:
mechacode wrote:Just wondering about the brakes installed in this thread, did you guys break them in by going and getting them real hot? I've yet to have a set of pads squeal on me as long as they were broken in correctly.
Aw man! don't be starting these vicious rumors! You know damn good and well brake rotors and pads don't need to be bedded in properly, the rotors just warp no matter what you do.

I've been called a "Fucking idiot" by someone my intellectual superior for suggesting differently.

True story dat.
While that may be true with regards to rotors, I've had brake squeal regardless of how aggressively I bedded in certain pads. Squeal is more determined by the pad composition than how it was bedded in. More aggressive pads = better chance for squeals. The anti-squeal goop does help, but it doesn't always solve it entirely. Strangely though, the R4S pads on my e36 never squeal, whereas the R4S pads I used on my previous e28s squealed under specific braking pressures (mid-light in my case). This was with both 750 and e28 M5 front setups. I'm not sure what the difference might be in that case.

Jeremy

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 11:25 PM
by wkohler
I don't have any squealing issues with the Jurid pads.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 12:06 AM
by mechacode
1st 5er wrote:Grease stops squeaks.

Shh, the last time I mentioned greasing the slides here I apparently left some people dumbfounded in amazement!

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 2:06 AM
by Night Wolf
When I first got my car, the right front pads were almost totally worn while the left front were much better. No hanging brakes but I replaced the lines and flushed the fluid anyway. I needed new pads and all Advance had was $20 Wearever Silver or $70 ceramic. I'm not keen on ceramic pads and I figured anything had to be better than the mis matched worn out set. I used to work for Advance Auto and would not recommend the Wearever silver, though the Gold is a very nice affordable pad. Anyway - I must say, the Silvers have performed very good, much better than expected. They give off lots of brake dust but that really wasn't a concern for cheap replacements. The e28 with ''cheap'' pads, serviceable but otherwise old components and fresh brake fluid flush/bleed stops better than most other vehicles I've driven. The car has very nice brakes.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 10:43 AM
by fiver diver
Well, mine stop fine with good cold bite, are about as dusty as the Jurids that I took off, and have been quiet. I'm pretty easy on brakes, but generally insist on top drawer German parts since my car is a DD. Having had the Satisfied pads on another car and having them go through uneventfully, I figured "how bad can they be" and the answer, fortunately is "not bad at all". :D

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 11:19 AM
by desmofan
1st 5er wrote:$11.65 to ship a set. Better get more than one.

Thanks for the heads up.
I'd never thought to check out TR for brake pads.
I buy the Akebonos for my Stage 5 upgraded IS from TR. Good prices and good selection.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 12:46 PM
by Tammer in Philly
desmofan wrote: I buy the Akebonos for my Stage 5 upgraded IS from TR. Good prices and good selection.
I realize it's not a popular opinion, but I HATE ceramic pads.

-tammer

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 12:58 PM
by desmofan
Tammer in Philly wrote:
desmofan wrote: I buy the Akebonos for my Stage 5 upgraded IS from TR. Good prices and good selection.
I realize it's not a popular opinion, but I HATE ceramic pads.

-tammer
I know a lot of folks have similar feelings. I've been putting tehm on my Wife's E46 for years, and the first set I've put on my E28 have been fine. I wouldn;t use them for track pads, or even if I was a super agressive driver, but for DD I thikn they're great. Absolutely no dust.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 1:03 PM
by Tammer in Philly
desmofan wrote: but for DD I thikn they're great. Absolutely no pedal feel.
FTFY.

My mom loves 'em, and the low dust is nice, but I hate hate HATE the spongy pedal feel--even with healthy Brembo 4-pot calipers--and the vague modulation. Even on a DD, it bothers me. I've sampled them on three cars (E36, E39, E34) with floating and fixed calipers, with stock and stainless lines, and from different brands (Akebono and Hawk). I hate them all.

Give me Pagid or Jurid stock pads on a street car, give me the dust, and give me the excellent pedal feel and cold bite and modulation.

-tammer