WOT -- Supersonic Flight

Talk about BMW E28s and the people who own them. Use Tech Talk for tech questions and topics.
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

Shawn D. wrote:
TSMacNeil wrote:
Shawn D. wrote:The "bending light waves" is getting over-hyped here, Y'all! Mirages bend light waves, and you can even see "heat" coming off roads in the summer, both of which are really not that much different than the effect of a shock wave -- light bends as it encounters discontinuities in density.
This is really more your area than mine, Shawn...do you give any credence to the theory of "folding space" for the purposes of travel/time questions? I really dont know what to think about it...
I ask because when I see that SR-71 shot, or Dave's Atlas shot, those shock waves appear to travel across a specific plane...what if that plane can be folded over on itself...or can it?

"....paging Stephen Hawking...come in Stephen Hawking....."
:laugh:
The shock waves aren't on any plane -- they're cones. You simply happen to be viewing them in 2D. There's nothing magical happening here. See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlieren_photography

BTW, it looks as if that "SR-71" shock wave photo is a T-38.
I went to your article....it made my eyes bleed. Too brainy for me... :laugh:

I thought the same thing on the T-38...(my very favorite airplane) ;)
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

For you, Dave-

Image

:beer:
TSMacNeil
Posts: 7014
Joined: Jan 22, 2009
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Post by TSMacNeil »

A producer of waves....wish she was still around:

Image

Long legs and big tits...

The Concorde. I got to ride in the cockpit of a British Airways unit across the pond some years back. Too friggin' small! The Captain finished his small glass of wine with dinner and asked me a question:

HIM- "What do you think is the most important instrument in this cockpit"?

ME- "Uh..I'd say the airspeed/machmeter.../ and the fuel gauges..."

HIM- "...Nope, its the nosecone temperature gauge, if it exceeds it's upper limit, the nose will burn off and we'll disintegrate..."

ME- "...Holy Shit....:"

I will never forget that day.....
Image
Post Reply